Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

RSVRMAN, Congratulations on your Jubilee order and purchase of the EV DC-One. I use a DC-One for my Klipschorns. You can input all settings from the front panel buttons, but it is so much easier to connect a USB wire to your PC and type in the crossover setting numbers. The equalizer display mode allows you to point the cursor, click and drag the EQ profile of your desires, or you can type in the exact recommended numerical settings. My picture is showing an extreme profile for illustration purposes.

IMG_9325.JPG

Perhaps not a leap if viewed from the point of view of the OP--

On 12/18/2016 at 6:10 PM, RSVRMAN said:

I got in touch with an old friend and went to visit him. He was always big into audio, but to me in a weird way. I was always into digital, plug and play...I started talking about my setup and he smiled, said lets go get a few beers and come back as he had to show me something.

We sat down in front of these old looking speakers, he fired up the light bulbs and I couldn’t even speak. We started with Beethoven then onto classic rock and some more modern tunes. I quickly found out I had been doing it all wrong. The speakers in question were Cornwalls. I had never heard a system that made my hair stand on end and quite literally brought tears to surface. I stayed the night and again we listened for nearly 6 hours the next day. No headaches and all smiles...

...Then as fate would have it, my wife and I needed to relocate...for work...

Fast forward to today. Wife is allowing me to buy the speakers of choice...However one caveat. Since she has seen me buy 3 separate systems and a plethora of IEMS...So I have to choose wisely...

I have spent the past 2 months researching with help of my friend and seems I keep coming back to the Jubilee...

Once you hear them in an acoustically suitable room (which isn't terribly difficult with Jubilees, since they far outperform other loudspeakers in this regard, especially "small loudspeakers"), there's no contest: everyone that I've met that's heard them--wants them.

Considering the 'nickel and dime' approach to audio I see that seems to be prevalent, i.e., buying second hand everything in sight, etc., if consolidated into a single pair of Jubilees, or Jubs with surrounds, center, and subs that can keep up, then the money isn't nearly an issue.  I believe that it's dissipation of funds into multiple systems (especially electronics) that seems to be the general issue with affording Jubs among Klipsch enthusiasts here.  If sound is the objective, there is no second place.  Sell off that herd of stuff (esp. expensive electronics), bank the funds and the money issues for Jubs are much more surmountable.

There hasn't been a single second that I've regretted buying the Jubs over 9+ years.  And I don't miss the other stuff...not when I get to listen to Jubs every day.

JMTC.

Chris

• Like 4

I bought my Khorns too sight unheard, and the jam's and I have the EV version of the Khorn with the down firing woofer - a centurion, supposedly doesn't need a corner (had it a few yrs) in a bit of a "missing components" situation, which also is sight unheard. Yea ongoing theme when you collect crap @ the rate I have been.

I have a lot of respect for 50's and 60's EV from my experience with the SP12b, and much of the respect I have for Klipsch is sort of reflected EV respect - cos I've never owned a big klipsch so far, just heard it off and on, know it does sound awesome - and I have spent some time collecting the correct drivers for that EV, just need a X8 and X36 pair now. Anyway, I have to set my HT room and what not in my new house and then I'd give it a proper listen.

Cool.

Srinath.

Srinath...I can't say this any other way: you need to hear Klipsch Jubilees.  Until you do, you probably cannot imagine what the sound is like.  It isn't an extension of EV or other stuff. 

BTW: I believe that's why this thread exists--for those willing to devote their resources to Jubs. 

Chris

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 hours ago, RSVRMAN said:

Too many pics to Quote Coyotee,

There is an easier way, just highlight what you want to quote and stop, a little box will pop up asking if you want to quote this, click and you will only quote what was highlighted.

What size room are the new toys going in ? Just wondering big or small either way you will be pleased......this is going to be good. :D

7 hours ago, Schu said:

I dont think I read.... are you getting a passive XO or are you going active?

Active with DC-ONE

7 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

RSVRMAN, Congratulations on your Jubilee order and purchase of the EV DC-One. I use a DC-One for my Klipschorns. You can input all settings from the front panel buttons, but it is so much easier to connect a USB wire to your PC and type in the crossover setting numbers. The equalizer display mode allows you to point the cursor, click and drag the EQ profile of your desires, or you can type in the exact recommended numerical settings. My picture is showing an extreme profile for illustration purposes.

IMG_9325.JPG

I'm big into electronics, so use with PC/USB is the route I would go for sure. Hopefully will make calibrating much easier, thanks for sharing!

7 hours ago, juniper said:

Wow from rf 82's to jubs, that's a leep! congrats you will be blown away!

Had a lot of Klipsch - Rf82's were sold then to RF7II, still a huge leap though!

5 hours ago, Chris A said:

Perhaps not a leap if viewed from the point of view of the OP--

Once you hear them in an acoustically suitable room (which isn't terribly difficult with Jubilees, since they far outperform other loudspeakers in this regard, especially "small loudspeakers"), there's no contest: everyone that I've met that's heard them--wants them.

Considering the 'nickel and dime' approach to audio I see that seems to be prevalent, i.e., buying second hand everything in sight, etc., if consolidated into a single pair of Jubilees, or Jubs with surrounds, center, and subs that can keep up, then the money isn't nearly an issue.  I believe that it's dissipation of funds into multiple systems (especially electronics) that seems to be the general issue with affording Jubs among Klipsch enthusiasts here.  If sound is the objective, there is no second place.  Sell off that herd of stuff (esp. expensive electronics), bank the funds and the money issues for Jubs are much more surmountable.

There hasn't been a single second that I've regretted buying the Jubs over 9+ years.  And I don't miss the other stuff...not when I get to listen to Jubs every day.

JMTC.

Chris

Chris is spot on and quoting me from earlier. I did a ton of research prior to even creating an account here. (Read for many years and always got my answer so I didn't need to post). Were talking about days not hours of  google "quote" searches, chasing avatars since people are active here, avsforum and a few other sites.. I did not solely read on Klipsch speakers alone and considered other options. With the price tag at this point, I wouldn't imagine not doing your due diligence. 

Everyone like to save money, however I began as a nickel and dimer. I will use my in and over ear audio as an example. I cant remember how much I spent on earbuds and cans before I finally said this isn't working. I spent a month or so researching and ended up with Unique Melody 4 driver In Ear Monitors. (This was 10 years ago).They were amazing for their time as IEMS (In ear monitors) really weren't going headfi route just yet. The company was known for perfection and I believe the first to do molds that didn't have bubbles in their molds. I decided to go with them. Next part was finding an audiologist to get impressions. Finding one that even had done a pair at that time was non existent. Got that all done then waited a month for them to come back and receive the finished product. (In blue below) With IEMS the tight ear seal allowed me keep the volume lower, hear more separation of instruments. The bonus is I could use them while out on the motorcycle, flights, gym, running, snowboarding, work and just out and about. They had replacement cables for maybe $20.00 each. (which last me about 6-12 months) Now I still have my first ones and I use them for lawn mowing or dirty jobs. I paid roughly $400 for them, but I was spending easily $75.00-$150 a year on earbuds that didnt have replacement cords, didnt sound as good and were throw away items. Yes, I even had a pair of klipsch earbuds from way back. Doing the math, you can quickly see how they in a way paid themselves forward.

As time passed, IEMS really changed dramatically. They started becoming much more centered around headfi. I also was at a new job doing a lot of design work. My old IEMS worked, but as you know mens noses and ears grow (part of my research), so they didnt seal as tight and sometimes had leaking. I could hear conversations, gossip, laughter etc. If I knew what I do now about molds, they probably would have been a tigher seal, but that's part of the journey as you learn and go. So with needing to concentrate, I was in one of those big companies that took away everyone's offices, cubes and general privacy. Combine that with being a bit of an introvert, my job (when I had an office) soon became my place of hate. I wanted IEMs that would hopefully last me another 10 years, possibly more. So the journey began again. I read about Jerry Harvey where IEMS really began, all of his products the sound.(Almost got the roxanne) UE, Wesone, Shure you name it. I went to some local meets to test out some universals (ones that are not custom fit to your ear canal). Still nothing that really wowed me. I knew the sound I wanted. I started reading about this guy known as the Wizard. A Dr, that was unbelievably passionate about audio. Read his background and chased his knowledge much like I did for Jubilees. (Case you want to know http://www.head-fi.org/t/684787/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns I had read all of this at the time and try to keep up, its around 1500 pages) I knew the sound I wanted and again reached out to others, looked at eq's. The company strives for absolute perfection and everything I read was exactly what described my type of sound. Warm, bold, lush mids, smooth smooth smooth highs, with high detail and bass right were you need it, not boomy, not overprounced just perfect. (Sounds a lot like klipsh? eh?)  I was even fortunate enough to have several exchanges with the man himself. I ordered the pair for roughly $1600. (They are my avatar picture and picture below.) I picked Ambona Burl faceplate with goldleaf noble symbol for the faceplates. Yes thats real wood and real gold. They were exactly as others described when they arrived. The seals were perfect, the sound was as I stated earlier. I bought them before they went mainstream, they have since been in countless magazines and reviewed as the best countless and countless times again. {I'm in no way promoting Noble over Klipsch as they do compete on some platforms, just sharing my own personal thoughts. }

My research paid off with the Kaisers, I'm not sure if it was entirely a leap of faith since I had bought sight unseen, but knowing how others interpret and explain sound and how they apply their knowledge helps narrow down the decisions. One persons perfection maybe another persons nemesis. I used a lot of how I researched everything  previously and applied here. There is also a lot of long reads in my private messages from other Jubilee owners that isn't here that is worth its weight in gold, helping along in my OCD of reading.

Sorry for the book above, but hopeful it may help someone else in their decisions. It always has paid off for me and I'm sure it will the same for Jubilees. I still have a ton to learn about loudspeakers, but do have quite a bit of knowledge with IEM's. Not to detract from this thread further, but anyone is always welcome to PM me about IEM's, DAC's and amps for them. I actually plan on using one of my can DACs in the implementation with this system. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coytee said:

For anyone reading this thread...(and RSVRMAN might punch me for saying this....but....I'm a really fast runner)

Out of the 33 Jubilee owners that have responded (27) it seems most had not heard (in person) the Jubilee prior to purchase.  Most however, were current, prior Khorn owners or were familiar with the Khorn sound.

That is to say, 63% of owners, bought them without having heard them first.  (I do not fall into this camp)

What intrigued me is RSVRMAN has not even heard Khorns

Talk about a leap of faith!!

Most of us recall the first time we heard Khorns and that 'OMG' thought that filled our heads

It's going to be interesting to hear his first impressions.

Coytee, just wanted to add my stats... I had never heard a Khorn (still have not), I had never heard the Jub either, but I do have Belles, CWs, and KLF-30s.  I am a leap of faith kind of guy, (more money than brains as my Dad would tell you).  No regrets, none, best money I have ever spent on my audio path to bliss.  I run a Xillica 4080, I tried a MiniDSP but got rid of it quick.  They came with K69, but I run TADs, I actually bought the TADs before the Jubes and new this going into the purchase.  I may have tried the B&C, but went the cheaper route as they would never be used in my system.  Coytee, you are 100% responsible for my Jubes... you're probably not aware of that, but your advice on my Belle build thread was the catalyst to it all.  I thank you sir!

RSVRMAN, I ordered mine Jan 8, 2016 and they had them delivered Feb 3 2016.  About a month.  Congrats on your purchase, you will not regret it.

I'd also be willing to demo mine to anyone in my area that would like to hear them.  Everyone that has heard my system in the last year thinks it is the best system they have ever heard.  I also went all in and ordered a third K402, and with Chris's help, I have turned into a MEH with a TAD as a center channel.  Best HT you could ever want...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cantilope said:

Coytee, just wanted to add my stats... I had never heard a Khorn (still have not), I had never heard the Jub either, but I do have Belles, CWs, and KLF-30s.  I am a leap of faith kind of guy, (more money than brains as my Dad would tell you).  No regrets, none, best money I have ever spent on my audio path to bliss.  I run a Xillica 4080, I tried a MiniDSP but got rid of it quick.  They came with K69, but I run TADs, I actually bought the TADs before the Jubes and new this going into the purchase.  I may have tried the B&C, but went the cheaper route as they would never be used in my system.  Coytee, you are 100% responsible for my Jubes... you're probably not aware of that, but your advice on my Belle build thread was the catalyst to it all.  I thank you sir!

RSVRMAN, I ordered mine Jan 8, 2016 and they had them delivered Feb 3 2016.  About a month.  Congrats on your purchase, you will not regret it.

I'd also be willing to demo mine to anyone in my area that would like to hear them.  Everyone that has heard my system in the last year thinks it is the best system they have ever heard.  I also went all in and ordered a third K402, and with Chris's help, I have turned into a MEH with a TAD as a center channel.  Best HT you could ever want...

Not a long time to wait at all for your jubes! I'm hoping the phantom center will do well enough for the wife. I should steer clear of jubscala centers for awhile... if I start doing that crack I will be living in my Jubilee boxes!

I guess I wouldnt think its that odd not hearing khorns and Jubes prior to purchase. I think its more odd when people buy speakers from companies that are relatively new. Now, I did go with Noble for IEM's, however the owner was the lead engineer for a certain other company many many years prior, also were out for a full year prior to my purchase. IEMs also have little history compares to loudspeakers. 

With klipsch, Khorns have been out a long long time, Jubes 10+ years?. Theres also a lot more information, though limited ownership. Then combine that with the heritage of the company and design being by done by the owner and partner in crime Roy. I'm quite comfortable with little to no worry about how they will perform. 

4 hours ago, Cantilope said:

Coytee, you are 100% responsible for my Jubes... you're probably not aware of that, but your advice on my Belle build thread was the catalyst to it all.  I thank you sir!

That is nice of you to say that.

Must have been the 'horns are honky' comment...  :ph34r:

• Like 1

On my little spreadsheet (who owns them, who bought them without hearing them first)

I think that leaves only Doug, Larry and Steve as owners and no mention of having heard them first.

Luther, I think Doug (San Antonio) is your pal so I'm guessing he's heard the pair at your place.

Larry is in Greenbrier and Steve is in Mena (if I have the data correct)

Care to chime in with "did you hear them prior to purchase?"