Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

33 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Take your pick: looks or acoustic performance.

My choice is probably well known by now: save your $500 and put it on acoustic treatments.

Chris

I'm sure I'll pick both. Not sure what acoustic treatments I will need, as the Jubilee's will be new to me. Considering how long I will own these speakers, listen to them, look at them, smile at them, and hug them.  $400 bucks for the walnut panels, is an absolute bargain...  

8 hours ago, Chris A said:

Take your pick: looks or acoustic performance.

My choice is probably well known by now: save your $500 and put it on acoustic treatments.

Chris

WAF wins all, just thankful they have Cherry and I'm not stuck with zebra.

No, these are not the real thing, they are my pair of Jub-likes that I completed a month or 2 ago.

The "somebody I know" is actually me. :rolleyes:

It took 3: 4'x8' sheets of Goncalo Alves (Tigerwood) to veneer them.

I think the OEM black looks good, but having the front panel, or in my case the whole speaker, veneered

does dress them up a bit.

I also like the idea of treating the room, which I have done with 10 DIY panels.

This probably the biggest improvement any one thing has done for the sound in my HiFi room.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2017 at 8:46 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Its just the big panel in rhe middle

Ah...the "beauty panel". Thanks for the clarification. I knew the veneered fronts were available, but I thought your post meant the whole cabinet. So nothing has really changed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, babadono said:

Ah...the "beauty panel". Thanks for the clarification. I knew the veneered fronts were available, but I thought your post meant the whole cabinet. So nothing has really changed.

Apparently they did do Travis's whole cabinets from the factory, African mahogany or something exotic... and rumor has it that it was such a PITA that they swore to never do it again. :)  

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Apparently they did do Travis's whole cabinets from the factory, African mahogany or something exotic... and rumor has it that it was such a PITA that they swore to never do it again. :)  

That is all true.

At employee appreciation lunch I showed the guys I sat with photos of them and all three said "Oh I remember those, they came out great.  Hope we never have to do that again."  Plant manager said "never again."

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Coytee said:

They look nice!  Is the inside of the horn black or veneered?

(how about a full frontal)

I did think about veneering the whole thing, inside and outside, but figured I was pushing my luck/ability just to build these bins.

i am glad it is over, glad they turned out "ok", and very happy they sound great.

I did take a bunch of pics along the way but did not want to pollute our site with too many "non Klipsch" things.

I may have posted this shot already, but here is a Full Monty... 

Toms _Jubilikes.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

That is all true.

At employee appreciation lunch I showed the guys I sat with photos of them and all three said "Oh I remember those, they came out great.  Hope we never have to do that again."  Plant manager said "never again."

I'd say never say never. While I'm sure the cost is much higher do to the increased labor, once they do more it would become more routine. This could always be an option. It may be a very expensive upgrade, one that most would never choose, but sure why not. If klipsch could sell more, turn a profit I see no reason not to. 

3 hours ago, HPower said:

I did think about veneering the whole thing, inside and outside, but figured I was pushing my luck/ability just to build these bins.

i am glad it is over, glad they turned out "ok", and very happy they sound great.

I did take a bunch of pics along the way but did not want to pollute our site with too many "non Klipsch" things.

I may have posted this shot already, but here is a Full Monty... 

Toms _Jubilikes.jpg

Got to admit those are the best clones I've seen to date. Good job. Would love to see some Sweeps once you get them all tucked in tight for benchmark comparison. 

The front panel. I've got 1" thickness Sonofiber across that front panel.  It helps with the edge diffraction of two bass bin mouths, but it's real improvement is controlling early reflections from the K-402 horn.  Placing the material on the bass bin front moved the subjective  acoustic center of the Jubs up by a few inches.

Try it.

Chris

I also recommend this.

In my case, I used about 3 inches of foam on the front baffle. Although I did not specifically look for an effect on early reflections, I did notice some other improvements. The peak-to-trough differences at about 100Hz, 180Hz and 300Hz were attenuated (but not entirely eliminated). Additionally, the quirkiness in the polars (due to the bifurcated mouth) was also attenuated.