Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

I suppose some sort of explanation is warranted on this front panel damping subject...

In my particular case, I have a listening room that has a center fireplace whose brickwork protrudes into the room by about one brick depth, and includes a mantle at about 5 1/2 feet from the floor, and a hearth and firebox down low.  It might not seem like this should affect the acoustics of the room, but it does--rather severely: it results in basically no phantom center imaging with the Jubs without acoustic room treatment. 

So as I began my search for the cause of this issue, now many years ago, I started tacking up spare blankets and comforters temporarily on the side walls at the height of the K-402 horn mouths just at their mouth exits.  This helped tremendously: I now had a center image but I still hear a bit of imaging and soundstage confusion buried in the overall stereo image. 

I placed more acoustic absorption on the front wall behind and between the Jubs on the fireplace masonry and mantle.  I suddenly had an extremely strong center image that was so convincing that you could walk up to the center of the fireplace and place your hand on the mantle, and the center image was still present.  That little experiment truly sold me on acoustic treatments. 

I then acquired a couple of boxes of Auralex Sonofiber acoustic tiles and started placing them strategically.  At this point, the acoustic treatments consisted of one row of three 2'x2' tiles arrayed vertically on the side walls at the Jub horn mouth exits, and any hard surfaces within about 4 feet of the K-402 mouths on the front wall, including in front of the TH sub boxes toward the center of the room and on the fireplace masonry and on the sides of the center loudspeaker (at this point, a stock Belle Klipsch).  This amounted to about ten 2'x2' squares on the front wall.

The corner bass traps were already present behind the Jubs in each corner on top of the TH sub boxes, which were were adjusted to control their effectiveness via sliding them left or right slightly to adjust the entrapped air volume behind the bass trap and the corners. 

As I sat down for a listen again, I still noticed some stereo imaging confusion, so I gazed at the whole front of the room and noticed these large acoustically reflective areas on the front of the Jub bass bins.  I thought about it for a while, then pulled out more Auralex acoustic squares and placed them on the front of the bass bins.  Voila! The imaging was clean, strong, and uncompromised.  It was the cleanest sound that I'd ever heard in-room (anywhere).

I've since worked on the center loudspeaker configuration several times, eventually arriving at the MEH design, but the Sonofiber panels remain.  Especially the ones on the bass bins.

Chris

2 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

What is the square hole in the back/side panel for.... possible change to a new style input connection plate...?

They are actually all like this now.  The old style had terminals on top but not anymore.  I had a custom request to move the location based on pictures of the old style but they are all like this now.  Something to do with the production line plus commercial guys were asking for the same thing.  They apparently switched pretty recently and Aaron here got an old stock unit so his was on top, but going forward they will all look like this.  

Current (note that the cat likes to move many of the acoustic squares around every once in a while...just for fun :emotion-19:):

Chris A's Main Setup.jpg

The panels are a bit haphazardly arranged, as this was when I had just gotten the center MEH set up, and with a backstop piece of sheathing over the firebox, with absorption panels covering it and the center MEH's pedestal to increase the damping as much as I could.  I found that the MEH's ability to control its polars was a big step up.  I later removed some of that extra material while listening, and found little difference in the imaging, soundstage, and speech intelligibility.  More info can be found in the MEH thread on this subject.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

What is the square hole in the back/side panel for.... possible change to a new style input connection plate...?

miketn 

Correct. New location for wires.  I had requested it early and it appears I'm not alone so they made the change. I'm very happy with the change as I have little fingers in my house and was afraid that they would grab the terminals and the wire inside. Very nice change. 

I might add...

This seems like another step in the direction of making a "home" version...

You can now get them with the pretty face in front

You can now get them with the wires moved out of sight

All that's left is something to encase the 402 (though I don't mind it visible BUT, I wouldn't mind the backside painted to get rid of the lines where they sanded down the flash lines (or whatever it's called))

and last, have grills made then viola, you have a "residential" speaker

Roy is slowly winning the battle!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

I might add...

All that's left is something to encase the 402 (though I don't mind it visible BUT, I wouldn't mind the backside painted to get rid of the lines where they sanded down the flash lines (or whatever it's called))

No... keep the price point right where its at!

A home version all spiffed up would make a klipschorn seem cheap by comparison...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coytee said:

I might add...

Something I'm very happy that I asked for. Commercial guys asked for as well, so future buyers can thank Cory and myself for pushing the envelope. 

Im still iffy on whether or not I will do grills. The black and center piece looks really good. Better than I expected. 

I probably wouldnt want the k402 in a box. I think that would make them appear just that much bigger. Having it naked gives it that look you just don't see.

Honestly, I don't think there's anything else I could ask for. I like that the outside is painted with the black (durex?). We're getting the new and improved k691. Sure it's not a TAD, but I can't complain. They could veneer the whole thing, but as others and yourself said, the price would skyrocket. At this point I wouldn't change one thing.

1 hour ago, JMON said:

I like the move of the wire terminals too.  The only problem I see is that if you are planning to tuck the speakers tightly into the corners, that panel is the panel that will be flush against the wall.

Each corner is flush against the wall, I'm not sure where else they would put it without this issue. These things also weigh a ton, literally. Once the wires are on I'm not planning on moving them. I wouldn't have wanted the wire terminals any other place, this is perfect.

7 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Boom.  

17457363_10154656251544401_8234433663774

17457492_10154656251094401_1333390473798

17499282_10154656250794401_4921699694978

While I'm a sucker for Cherry, I have to admit the walnut came out really well. Very impressed with what klipsch did. Usually when I see a heavy grain wood veneer like that it appears faux, but not these. 

Not to take away, but the blacks still look good in their own right as well. They appear menacing in their own way.

31 minutes ago, RSVRMAN said:

Each corner is flush against the wall, I'm not sure where else they would put it without this issue. These things also weigh a ton, literally. Once the wires are on I'm not planning on moving them. I wouldn't have wanted the wire terminals any other place, this is perfect.

For corner placement, the very back panel is where I think I would prefer them.  There would be no interference with the wall in that location, especially if one wanted to add 5-way binding posts (along with associated banana plugs on speaker wires). Take a look at the photo showing where HPower located them.

IMG_0470.JPG

7 hours ago, Schu said:

Send those walnuts directly to Las vegas....

Sorry Schu,

I think the walnuts are heading to my place in Roseburg, OR. I love that new speaker smell... They're gonna pretty my place, right up !!!

• Like 1