Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

20 minutes ago, dtel said:

The only noise I have at all is one of the Crown D-75 amps sometimes has a slight hum, at the amp not through the speaker and you have to be kind of close to hear it, never seen that before

I have two Alesis RA-100 amps. One has a slightly annoying hum. It is the power transformer, probably a slightly loose winding or lamination. I sent it off to live with my older son. :D

Bruce

• Moderators

It's not bad even when it does hum, you have to walk within a few feet to hear it and only if nothings playing you can hear it. I guess i have been lucky, no noise, so I guess all the grounds are happy also.

I would love to have someone go through both of these but I know that would not be cheap, same for an old HK 930, it works fine but could only improve if gone through.

I've been able to hear spittle from across the room....  when my gains are maxed and the volume at zero.

When I dial the gains back, there is zero hiss even when standing next to the speaker (head not inserted :P) and still have ample volume.

7 hours ago, Coytee said:

I've been able to hear spittle from across the room....  when my gains are maxed and the volume at zero.

When I dial the gains back, there is zero hiss even when standing next to the speaker (head not inserted :P) and still have ample volume.

Gotta admit, I really am starting to grow fond of these little gain nobs. If I turn them to 100% I can hear a very tiny bit or air coming from the horns at about 2'. But anything below 50% and nothing, with head inserted in the horn. Still a bit weak in the knees when I get close to the horns though. Even though I only had the incident once, they have shown me that they can bite.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well you have had a little more listening time, whatcha thinking ?

I keep mine somewhere between 50 and 100% but not because of noise, got lucky with that I guess. The reason I keep them set like that is my DAC is one of the first generation DAC for Emotive. It has a volume knob that if used below 50% it can lose some bit's of info, this was fixed on the next version. Running the amps at less than full tilt I can keep the volume knob on the DAC at 90-100% for normal listening. When I want to get nuts I just turn up the amps to 100% and vibrate the house. I never changed out the DAC because I got a great deal on it, I think it was 125$ shipped and it still had a couple years of transferable warranty left, and I really like it, especially having a remote, plus to me it has a good sound and introduces no extra noises. 

11 hours ago, dtel said:

Well you have had a little more listening time, whatcha thinking ?

I keep mine somewhere between 50 and 100% but not because of noise, got lucky with that I guess. The reason I keep them set like that is my DAC is one of the first generation DAC for Emotive. It has a volume knob that if used below 50% it can lose some bit's of info, this was fixed on the next version. Running the amps at less than full tilt I can keep the volume knob on the DAC at 90-100% for normal listening. When I want to get nuts I just turn up the amps to 100% and vibrate the house. I never changed out the DAC because I got a great deal on it, I think it was 125$ shipped and it still had a couple years of transferable warranty left, and I really like it, especially having a remote, plus to me it has a good sound and introduces no extra noises. 

This journey is quite incredible I must say. This week I'm experimenting with my Schitt Gungnir vs the Marantz 7703 DAC battle. Lots of songs on repeat and trying to be decisive. I must say the Marantz prepro really is impressive. I've run my Schitt for awhile through a lot of hifi headphones and IEMs and really grown accustomed to how it sounds. The Schitt gets a very tiny edge on separating the tones/instruments. I have to really focus to hear it and its only noticible on certain genres (electronic mainly) music. The Marantz has a more noticeable edge on the upper octaves. The Jubilees are smooth (more on that below), but the Marantz further compliments that without the upper spectrum fading. I was a but shocked at the results and thought I would be able to discern a more noticeable difference, but I can't. This also makes me very happy as I can now sell my Modi Schitt to a friend and rock the Gungnir at work with my IEMs. 

Before I go onto Jubilees, I want to add that about a month ago, I did hear klipschorns. I got lucky and met someone that put on a very good demo. They were absolutely amazing and made it that much harder for me to wait, as from what others have said. I plan to hear them again,  however I feel it would be a great injustice to compare them as our rooms are entirely different as well as I'm all transistor and he is tube. After hearing them, for people that cannot afford the high price tag of Jubilees, I could confidently say you would be very happy with used klipschorns if you can locate a good used pair and set them up correctly. 

Jubilees - 

This is by and far not my final review, but just a pregame. I'm running with the current EQ (Thanks to Chris!) for a bit to get used to the sound and decide on the DAC. Also Thank you to Khornukopia for noticing my earlier mistake. Now that we are running right and I have a bit of a curve in the lower 20-60hz range. 

The soundstage is just unfathomable. I know I said it before, but I'm going to say it again. The way they project, not only throughout the room, but the house at such low volumes amazes me each day. I cant say how thankful I am that I will never need to dig around, subwoofer crawl (even though it works) to find the optimal corner or angle to ensure my sweet spot is perfect. The room they sit in is the sweetspot. From sitting to standing to laying down, the sound remains unchanged. (Ok maybe 1% difference for the naysayers). 

They are incredibly smooth for how much detail they reveal. The K691 is an absolute masterpiece. With my tinnitus, my listening sessions are usually very short, as severe headaches usually ensue, even at low volumes. I can not say how much joy this is to say and experience that I've had at least 30+ hours of listening time and they have not caused any fatiguing or headaches. "Fingers crossed that this continues". After my initial purchase, I reached out to several members, many that are following this thread about compression drivers. I looked into about everything, as I was a bit scared that the K69-A would have been harsh. I would still like to hear TAD-4002, but my lust in pursing that option is rather limp at the moment. At this point, I'm very happy with where I'm at so I feel there is no reason to change. Butterliciously smooth. (Going to put that in wikipedia with an ex- see Jubilee)

The bass.......Oh the bass. It's very different from anything I've ever owned. Borrowing from Coytee, as he described how they pressurize the room, I would mirror that description. I've had various direct radiator subs and even the SVS Ultra, minus the SVS after hearing the Jubilee bass, they all seem like those cheap ported subwoofer kits you threw in the back of the car when you were in high school. While the SVS didn't seem boomy, the Jubilees now make me think it was. When the bass hits in music or movies it feels more like the thunder of a lightning strike that just landed outside your window, rather than the sound of someone wacking away on some stretched hide. I have found a new way to measure the fullness and boldness of the bass based on how inanimate objects become alive. We have a clock that is on the adjacent wall that is always accurate, I've noticed its about 5-30 mins off each day and I replaced the battery. Then one time while I was listening to some music that had a rather pronounced lower spectrum, I looked over and noticed the clock hands were dancing. Pending which side the minute hand was on, it would slowly make its way back to the 6. Thinking I will need to find a way into using this as an excuse next time I'm late to work.  Now even with all that bass, I'm still on the fence on adding a subwoofer, the infrasonic bass is a definite nice to have. If I pursue this option, after hearing how folded horn bass sounds, I would continue towards building the lilwrecker. This is a big if still as the WAF is still adjusting to what we currently have.

I've tried to find every owners input and review of these prior to purchasing them. And while some words escape me currently on describing the sound. Everything everyone has ever said about these things is true. Every single bit of it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RSVRMAN said:

This is a big if still as the WAF is still adjusting to what we currently have.

Dusting them periodically is the key to keeping my wife happy since black horns tend to accentuate dust. 

Other than that, the corners of a typically room aren't used for anything else so they tuck in quite nicely.  Their natural room filling sound definitely helps their appearance.  Everyone that has listened to them has commented on clarity, balance, and the size of the soundstage image--no matter where you're listening to them in room.

Chris

• Klipsch Employees
On 4/15/2017 at 3:46 PM, Chris A said:

It seems to be a sensitive subject...for whatever reason. 

I feel it's just another DIY last year that turned out much better than I ever imagined.  (YMMV.)  I've offered the design to Roy--but there's apparently little interest.  Perhaps NIH?  Don't know.

Chris

NIH...yea thats it.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
On 4/15/2017 at 1:32 PM, Chris A said:

Do you believe that the K-402 needs mumps?   The measurements that I've seen say that the horn doesn't need them...especially down to the 400 Hz high pass frequency that seems to be the lowest frequency used with two-way Jubs.  In fact, the polar performance is spectacular presently, down to at least the crossover frequency:

KPT-402 hor directivity.jpg

KPT-402 vert directivity.jpg

i would like to the coverage pattern to have a little less deviation.  and of course, the coverage of the phase plug needs work.....just not enough time, i mean with fishing and all. :)

• Like 2

• Klipsch Employees
8 hours ago, RSVRMAN said:

This journey is quite incredible I must say. This week I'm experimenting with my Schitt Gungnir vs the Marantz 7703 DAC battle. Lots of songs on repeat and trying to be decisive. I must say the Marantz prepro really is impressive. I've run my Schitt for awhile through a lot of hifi headphones and IEMs and really grown accustomed to how it sounds. The Schitt gets a very tiny edge on separating the tones/instruments. I have to really focus to hear it and its only noticible on certain genres (electronic mainly) music. The Marantz has a more noticeable edge on the upper octaves. The Jubilees are smooth (more on that below), but the Marantz further compliments that without the upper spectrum fading. I was a but shocked at the results and thought I would be able to discern a more noticeable difference, but I can't. This also makes me very happy as I can now sell my Modi Schitt to a friend and rock the Gungnir at work with my IEMs. 

Before I go onto Jubilees, I want to add that about a month ago, I did hear klipschorns. I got lucky and met someone that put on a very good demo. They were absolutely amazing and made it that much harder for me to wait, as from what others have said. I plan to hear them again,  however I feel it would be a great injustice to compare them as our rooms are entirely different as well as I'm all transistor and he is tube. After hearing them, for people that cannot afford the high price tag of Jubilees, I could confidently say you would be very happy with used klipschorns if you can locate a good used pair and set them up correctly. 

Jubilees - 

This is by and far not my final review, but just a pregame. I'm running with the current EQ (Thanks to Chris!) for a bit to get used to the sound and decide on the DAC. Also Thank you to Khornukopia for noticing my earlier mistake. Now that we are running right and I have a bit of a curve in the lower 20-60hz range. 

The soundstage is just unfathomable. I know I said it before, but I'm going to say it again. The way they project, not only throughout the room, but the house at such low volumes amazes me each day. I cant say how thankful I am that I will never need to dig around, subwoofer crawl (even though it works) to find the optimal corner or angle to ensure my sweet spot is perfect. The room they sit in is the sweetspot. From sitting to standing to laying down, the sound remains unchanged. (Ok maybe 1% difference for the naysayers). 

They are incredibly smooth for how much detail they reveal. The K691 is an absolute masterpiece. With my tinnitus, my listening sessions are usually very short, as severe headaches usually ensue, even at low volumes. I can not say how much joy this is to say and experience that I've had at least 30+ hours of listening time and they have not caused any fatiguing or headaches. "Fingers crossed that this continues". After my initial purchase, I reached out to several members, many that are following this thread about compression drivers. I looked into about everything, as I was a bit scared that the K69-A would have been harsh. I would still like to hear TAD-4002, but my lust in pursing that option is rather limp at the moment. At this point, I'm very happy with where I'm at so I feel there is no reason to change. Butterliciously smooth. (Going to put that in wikipedia with an ex- see Jubilee)

The bass.......Oh the bass. It's very different from anything I've ever owned. Borrowing from Coytee, as he described how they pressurize the room, I would mirror that description. I've had various direct radiator subs and even the SVS Ultra, minus the SVS after hearing the Jubilee bass, they all seem like those cheap ported subwoofer kits you threw in the back of the car when you were in high school. While the SVS didn't seem boomy, the Jubilees now make me think it was. When the bass hits in music or movies it feels more like the thunder of a lightning strike that just landed outside your window, rather than the sound of someone wacking away on some stretched hide. I have found a new way to measure the fullness and boldness of the bass based on how inanimate objects become alive. We have a clock that is on the adjacent wall that is always accurate, I've noticed its about 5-30 mins off each day and I replaced the battery. Then one time while I was listening to some music that had a rather pronounced lower spectrum, I looked over and noticed the clock hands were dancing. Pending which side the minute hand was on, it would slowly make its way back to the 6. Thinking I will need to find a way into using this as an excuse next time I'm late to work.  Now even with all that bass, I'm still on the fence on adding a subwoofer, the infrasonic bass is a definite nice to have. If I pursue this option, after hearing how folded horn bass sounds, I would continue towards building the lilwrecker. This is a big if still as the WAF is still adjusting to what we currently have.

I've tried to find every owners input and review of these prior to purchasing them. And while some words escape me currently on describing the sound. Everything everyone has ever said about these things is true. Every single bit of it. 

so i am guessing that you kinda of sorta of like them?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

...and of course, the coverage of the phase plug needs work.....just not enough time, i mean with fishing and all. :)

The throat geometry would be a little better in practice if there were registration marks for compression driver location at assembly.  However, using a large drive socket wrapped with a little masking tape inserted temporarily on the mouth side of the horn also serves as an assembly tool when changing out compression drivers.

Getting those tolerances with the new 15# injection molded K-402 horn might be difficult, however.  Might have to put some  material back in.

Chris

• Klipsch Employees
Just now, Chris A said:

The throat geometry would be a little better in practice if there were registration marks for compression driver location at assembly.  However, using a large drive socket wrapped with a little masking tape inserted temporarily on the mouth side of the horn also serves as an assembly tool when changing out compression drivers.

Getting those tolerances with the new 15# injection molded K-402 horn might be difficult, however.  Might have to put some  material back in.

Chris

well...more importantly....designing a phase plug that has a closer match to the coverage pattern of the horn....a real honest to goodness, hold in my hand phase plug that works....not those paper phase plugs. :)

The K-402 is a very good horn.  Got any plans for an intermediate-sized horn between the K-510 and the K-402?

Chris

• Like 1