Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

5 hours ago, dtel said:

My vote, a horn sub without a doubt, you don't want a stinkin direct radiator sub. :o:D

How do you think this sounds..pics........that sub (1802 in the center) replaced 2 684 subs, which is four 18" drivers, and the 684's didn't stand a chance, not even close., especially in detail and sound quality, and of course punch, it is a just much cleaner sound. Now I know it's a little big :huh: but kevin H is going for sound quality first, in his man cave.  

Before small phone pic 2 684's subs, after  with 1802 sub...................Kevin uses the standard stuffed animal sound diffuser treatments, :lol: he's apparently a successful bow hunter.  

speakers kevin.jpg2.jpg

kevins-05.JPG

Hey there's that room full o horns again...No I keep tellin' ya them there is antlers

• Like 3

On 4/15/2017 at 9:21 AM, Coytee said:

Oh, and have the PDF handy so you can see what's next and where things go!!

I did it the hard way, before I figured out your trick. I had a couple small problems. The master delay 1 & 2 has values 1.9 ms. on the dx 38, that was not on the chart. The second was the compressor settings and limiter. I could not zero those out, as they were not on the chart. Any advice ? 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Islander said:

Meanwhile, in Canada: 

That's funny, one little beaver and tons of cows.

3 hours ago, Speed said:

The mighty beaver. What can't they do ?!

They can get people to do crazy things.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2017 at 11:16 PM, RSVRMAN said:

The bass.......Oh the bass. It's very different from anything I've ever owned. Borrowing from Coytee, as he described how they pressurize the room,

Hmm, I'm not getting that at all. I'd say mine is a little under whelming. My La Scala's with a KSW 15 had more bass. The K-402 is smooth, sounds the same anywhere in the house. Less harsh sounding, than my LS. So far, my review would have to be neutral...

8 hours ago, Speed said:

Hmm, I'm not getting that at all. I'd say mine is a little under whelming. My La Scala's with a KSW 15 had more bass. The K-402 is smooth, sounds the same anywhere in the house. Less harsh sounding, than my LS. So far, my review would have to be neutral...

Wondering if you have all the settings correct? I did put a very small bump on the eq in the crossover. I'm not sure if you will watch movies at all. I know there are more out there with more infrasonic, but my go to for many years as a constant has been the pod race in Star Wars 1. I literally have stuff coming off the walls if I push it.

17 hours ago, Speed said:

My La Scala's with a KSW 15 had more bass.

Note that you're comparing a direct radiating (DR) subwoofer to dual Jubilee bass bins.  What you might be hearing (perhaps for the first time) is bass without all the harmonic and modulation distortion that you get with a DR woofer.  I see this a lot.  It seems that many have imprinted on the higher distortion of DR woofers because of the higher frequency distortion harmonics and modulation sidebands are more audible than the undistorted bass fundamental frequencies. 

Ostensibly, this is due to being exposed to that sort of reproduced sound over time.  In my listening experience, I first imprinted on acoustic double bass, pipe organ, and low brass (tuba, baritone, bass trombone) and woodwinds (contra-clarinet, contra-bassoon, etc.) so the sound of horn-loaded bass sounds like the real thing to my ears. 

I've also found that a couple of dB of boost around 31 Hz (with a parametric EQ filter "Q" of 3-6) does wonders to relieve that perceived lack of bass.  (Your recordings will also have significantly less bass below ~100 Hz than they did when they were recorded in the studio, but that's another subject for another thread.)

YMMV.

Chris

I believe that we're all assuming that both Jubilees are in full corners...and this might not be the case (i.e., a picture might help). 

Also, the location of the bass bins might be different than the location of the La Scalas and DR woofer, which plays into the "filling up corner vs. mid-wall room mode" thing.

Chris

10 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I believe that we're all assuming that both Jubilees are in full corners...and this might not be the case (i.e., a picture might help). 

Also, the location of the bass bins might be different than the location of the La Scalas and DR woofer, which plays into the "fulling up corner vs. midwall room mode" thing.

Chris

They are in full corners, exact spot as my LS's were in. I've listened to my LS in three different houses,with and without the sub,and I don't play the sub at overpowering levels. I'll play some different recordings, double check all my connections. I played both Crown amps in my Chorus 2 room, and they sounded fine. I do have the speaker wire connected to the top woofer, positive and negative. Is this correct ?20170415_102630.thumb.jpg.e37ce4019565f749b15f80992978dad0.jpg

I do think that corner horns at times can't develop the needed bass in certain rooms.  In a previous house, my main listening area was terrible with corner horns.  Same as you, I had la scalas there and they worked great.

In another room in that same house, corner horns worked better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, juniper said:

Something is not right here, I have never heard more clear, clean powerful bass from a two channel setup.

That's what I'm thinking, and was expecting... I love bass in my music.