Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

After seeing a few posts of “I’ve had my Jubilees XX years,” I figured it’s time for me to finally provide an update.

Since the very beginning, this gift has been very special to me. To me Jube’s are like a classic car that was owned by your father and handed down to you. The car becomes an heirloom that you cherish, something that you take your wife out for a drive, let your son take to prom and have hopes to pass on to him when he grows to become man. While, it has only been 2 years, this is the feeling that I get with my Jubilees. They have that heirloom feel that I know I can pass on hopefully to my son, when my ears betray me.

I have finally found my go to drink and my go to hole in the wall bar. The bar that has that faint aroma of cigarette smoke, yet hasn’t been smoked in for over a decade. It’s handmade, with a long thick cherry rail molding wrap around begging to be sat at, leaned on, and danced on. The bartender Cory, is full of fun stories that draws customers in and ensures that your glass is never empty. The bar is filled with other Jubilee owners discussing what they are listening to, figuring out ways to get that last bit of detail, further dialing in the PEQ’s and filters. I sit off to the side now, as I’ve become a regular. I still enjoy listening in and learning, however, my contribution is now limited as there are far more knowledgeable experts in this bar. I now just sit back with my glass and enjoy the tunes. Though, should a new comer walk through that door, I will always keep an open seat and share my stories and knowledge, paying it forward. I may visit other bars with friends from time to time, but this bar is my home.

I’ve realized that there is nothing further that needs to be said or added that hasn’t already been posted prior by experts that are far better audio linguists than myself. So I’ve chose to take a different approach in describing the setting that I feel Jube’s create. My Jubilees have become a staple in the family. We look forward to our movies more than ever before. They are fired up every evening as we prepare our dinner, adding warmth to the home. After I put down the kid for the evening, I will often come out and see my wife sitting on the couch with glass of scotch listening quietly to some FLAC rips of classical albums. Something she has never done with any of my systems prior and I could not be more proud.

But Wait! Don’t ride off into the sunset just yet. It’s not 2:00 AM, the bar is still open for business, so keep that seat warm because the Jubilees are just the beginning. They are the foundation that I will build upon. The path is still foggy and the map a bit faded, but I have many guides that will help me reach my destination. The first stop, is ordering a 3rd round from the bartender. I’ve been slowly setting aside a rainy day fund that will allow me to drink just a bit more of the top shelf product. I’m not sure when I will wave over Cory for my order, but I’m going to need another drink. Once that refill is in my hand, I will wander around the bar, keeping my ears perked to see which way the wind is blowing. You see, that old car has a tired old engine (D75a) and is on borrowed time. I’m not sure if I should rebuild that engine or replace it with something more powerful, cleaner burning and fuel efficient. Hypex…ice… I came across some new old stock car mods and bought them from an Italian man that called himself La Scalla. Not sure how these additions to the car will look, but will be a project for a later date. So for now, I’m going to weave through the crowd and keep my ears open.

So sorry folks, this car is not for sale, but you’re welcome to jump inside, I’m heading to the bar.

• Like 4

On 11/8/2018 at 5:42 PM, babadono said:

^so what do you use to add that low end rumble to your old jalopy?

The old Jalopy uses a d75a for both Horn and bass bin. I had a spare motor, which made the rice krispy noises of snap, crackle and pop, so it’s been shelved for a rebuild. Borrowed time on the others I feel.

12 hours ago, babadono said:

@RSVRMAN I was referring to Got Subs? with that.

Nothing for now, we just moved and have another 1-2 years before we settle. The final room will determine what I end up with ultimately. If I were to pull the trigger right now, I’d be building two little wreckers. If the drivers were available I’d also consider gjallerhorns. Since we do a fair share of movies, those seem to be one of the best diy setups that a horn loaded system has to offer. I frequently visit databass and avs as well to see if anyone has created something new/improved. Have bookmarks of my top 10 choices for now. If I had to buy completed, I’d maybe lean JTR. So who knows, maybe in that time Klipsch will release a horn sub that goes deeper than the 1802/1502. 

My my ultimate goal is to have matching LCR Jubes, la scala surrounds and horn subs. I already have one pair of la scala and the room will determine if I get 2-3 more. Having a theater that is entirely horn loaded would be pretty sweet. After my next purchase I will be well on my way there. 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Have you thought of making / using the tuba horn sub? They take up less floor space and will go down pretty low and you can use a lot of different drivers with the box. Even Klipsch drivers used in the MWM type horn bass cabs.

It is the tuba ht or rather Bills page is in my saved bookmarks. Appreciate the recommendation 🙏.

They seem like a great sub, however fall off rather quickly after 20hz. The Tubas would be great in many applications, I’m certain. I don’t think think I’ve read a bad thing about them across this forum or others. However, with the bass bins being able to extend nicely below 40hz, I’m fine with having a horn dedicated strictly to those infrasonic notes to the bass bin. It’s ok if it unloads at 70hz, which is where the lil wrecker sits. 

For now, that will be the last piece of the equation, because I’m not in my final room they will go in. Id need to know the room I have to work with, spl etc. 3 Jubilees across will take up a lot of room. To many what ifs. Subs are the one thing that seem to be evolving the most. From just 5 years ago there has been a lot more designs. Hopefully someone will have one closer to my needs when I’m ready💪

• 1 month later...

And........ Here...............We...............Go....................................

3rd Jubilee has been ordered. 

New Xilica 4080 to match to replace the DC-One as now I need more inputs outputs.

Very appreciative to have Cory making this happen again for me. Biggest regret is not doing them all together from the beginning having matching numbers and possibly mismatched veneer. However, knowing the craftsmanship, I'm betting there will be no differences. 

Matching LCR Jubilees. No rush this time as I already have 2 playing beautifully, but at the same time I still can't wait. 

It will probably be a bit before I pull the trigger on a new amp. There's a lot of things happening in this area I'm wanting to see how it all pans out.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

That is good news to read about. Did you send in a picture of your existing set, so they might be able to try and get the wood grain or color similar, if remotely possible?

Yes I did just that. Thankfully Cherry is much easier to match than Walnut with the patterns. I'm assuming the stain would remain the same as well, however as mine have matured the color might be slightly different. I believe in time as they age it should be near identical. 

I'm very happy to have them with all matching components. I don't know when there might be component changes, as in end of production. (example the K69 to K691) (driver in bass bins end of life -new model). I'm sure they will do their best job to ensure changes are un-noticed, but for me knowing in the back of my mind that the components and design are matching I'm at ease. 

I would say that running phantom center has far exceeded my expectations and coverage really is phenomenal, but my end game is to have a larger room and having that center channel has become a must. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2018 at 5:15 AM, rockhound said:

Not to hijack thread but for those going active with the jubes what are you powering the 402 with?

I've got La Scala II cabinets under my 402s, but I'd be using the same power amps if I had Jubilee bass bins.  The 402s currently have K-69s, but a pair of 691s will be on the way to me next week.

For power, I'm using a pair of Yamaha MX-D1 power amplifiers.  They put out 500 watts per channel, and are dual-mono construction, so each channel has its own power supply.  They are cool-running Class D units, but are said to have a "tubey" sound.  One powers the woofers and the other one powers the tweeters.

I'm very happy with the sound.

• Like 1