Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

Right Jubilee Phase Comparison.jpg

The red is first order filters, while the blue is Bessel 3rd order. 

I've been experimenting with lower order filters in the MEH and the Jubilees over the past couple of months and have found that they produce much flatter phase and group delay plots, and also sound significantly more "together" from a subjective viewpoint.

If you want to try first order filters on your Jubs or Jub-Khorns, let me know and I'll assist in any way that you want me to help. 

Note however that I'll be in and out of pocket for the next 2-6 weeks from today. 

Chris

On 2/17/2019 at 6:06 PM, Speed said:

I would love to have a couple of those. They do not come up very often, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Yes, I really like the MX-D1s.  I bought the first one new in 2007, because they seemed to be clearance priced from an online dealer, so I got the power amp of my dreams for an affordable price.  It did a great job of driving the 1974 La Scalas, and the upgrade in clarity and detail over the RX-V750’s amp section was amazing.  That AVR continued to power the centre and surround speakers (until it was replaced with a new 2016 RX-A2060), while the MX was connected to the RX-V’s Pre Out sockets.  

As one reviewer put it, it was as if the amp shone brighter lights on the stage, all the way to the back, so you could see/hear every instrument clearly, even the ones in the back that usually got lost in the mix somewhere and wound up nearly inaudible.  The very low noise floor helped bring out that low-level detail that I hadn’t been hearing.  Familiar songs sounded new and a bit different, but in a good way.  Going the other way, 500 clean watts of power per channel meant that my ears literally hurt before it would get to max volume.  It’s better to have more power than you need, instead of needing more power than you have, right?

A year later, a forum member in Seattle offered me a used MX, and a pair of  K510 horns with K-69-A drivers appeared in the Garage Sale section.  I took those events as omens, and soon found an EV Dx38 electronic processor at a guitar shop in California, so I had all the ingredients for a pair of 510 JubScalas.  Cool!

After picking up the second MX, while waiting for some of the other bits to arrive, I hooked it up to power the Heresy II surround speakers, and was surprised by how much more clear and solid they sounded.  Soon the other bits arrived, and the second MX became the bass amp, while the first one became the treble amp.  They work well together, of course.  It would be fun to find a third MX to power the surround speakers, which are now the original La Scalas, since they were replaced in the front with La Scala IIs (now 402 JubScala IIs) several years ago.

Wow, short story long, or what?  Hope that wasn’t too boring.

23 minutes ago, Chris A said:

The red is first order filters, while the blue is Bessel 3rd order. 

I've been experimenting with lower order filters in the MEH and the Jubilees over the past couple of months and have found that they produce much flatter phase and group delay plots, and also sound significantly more "together" from a subjective viewpoint.

If you want to try first order filters on your Jubs or Jub-Khorns, let me know and I'll assist in any way that you want me to help. 

Note however that I'll be in and out of pocket for the next 2-6 weeks from today. 

Chris

SOUNDS like a great plan, Chris.  

JUst so happens to be that next week I head to Hawaii ...til march 5th, so I will be out of the pocket, as well.

Let me 'fiddle' with the tuning on my 5.1 system and we can coordinate some email shuffling,  towards those inspirational FLATTENed phase curves.

MY question mainly is pertaining to me using two XILICA's for my 11 channels.

The system's 5.1 inputs/outputs are NOT formatted as they were before, ...when we were email each in the past for my 2.1 Jube setup  

The two XILICA 5.1 formatting :

Xilica # 1 INPUTS :

• CH1 - SURROUND LEFT
  • CH2 - L E F T 
  • CH3 - R I G H T 
  • CH4 - SURROUND RIGHT

Xilica # 1 INPUTS :

• CH1 - C E N T E R 
  • CH2 - open channel
  • CH3  - open channel
  • CH3  - S U B W O O F E R 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xilica # 1 OUTPUTs :

• CH1 -Left Surr.    LF
  • CH2 -Left Surr.     HF
  • CH3 -L E F T         LF
  • CH4 -L E F T         HF
  • CH5  R I G H T      LF
  • CH6 -R I G H T      HF
  • CH7 -Right Surr.   LF
  • CH8 -Right Surr.   HF

Xilica # 2 OUTPUTs :

• CH1 -C E N T E R  LF
  • CH2 -C EN T E R   HF
  • CH3 -
  • CH4 -
  • CH5 -
  • CH6 -
  • CH7 -
  • CH8 -S U B W O O F E R 

*SHOULD we be concerned about this 5.1 Xilica formated configuration ?  

On 2/18/2019 at 9:29 AM, Chris A said:

The effect that you mention--that they sounded better as they were turned up--is usually due to the ratio of reflected to direct energy flipping over as the SPL goes up. That's very easily controlled using room treatments, but pretty limiting in terms of what you can say about the performance of the loudspeaker if it's not yet accomplished. That's why I commented. That's not a particularly good way to judge loudspeakers (of any sort) and certainly not at the performance level as Jubs, IME. IIRC, the pair that you heard were very newly installed--as mentioned in advance of your visit on this forum that I remember reading--and perhaps without room treatments/sufficient floor coverings and/or dial-in time (i.e., the owner mentioned more than once that he's pretty busy and presently that time is in short supply to tinker with them).  I know about that situation as I had to learn about it myself over the years. 

@Chris A thanks for reminding me about this. I was listening for a bit this past weekend (imagine actually having time to listen:)) and was definitely made aware of what @Schu and you are saying. These speakers sound better at high volumes for sure. And what is needed to tame this is room treatments. I certainly cannot listen at 95 to 110 dB continuously.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babadono said:

And what is needed to tame this is room treatments. I certainly cannot listen at 95 to 110 dB continuously.

ROOM TREATMENT is more than 50% of the equation. 

You can own the worlds greatest equipment and have the most professional tuning equipment, ...and you are still at WAR with the room.

Priority ONE after purchasing fine equipment... room treatment !

~Enjoy the Process !

-Rock on... Craig

• Thanks 1

^ I definetely agree... its not that the jubilees did not sound good at lower db's E, I was just slightly underwhelmed based on some of the hyperbole used online in describing the speakers capabilities.

I was fully aware that more work was needed and that your beautiful set up was yet in its infancy. As soon as you dialed up the volume a smile was plastered across my face.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Speed said:

No,

That was cool. The reason I commented on them is because there is one for sale on eBay. He wants $1650. I would need another, if one was ever to come up... 

I’d grab it!  They retailed for $5000 USD when they came out in 2005, and Stereophile considered the MX-D1 a bargain at that price.  Maybe he’ll take $1400-1500. 

On 2/13/2019 at 4:55 PM, MenloBob said:

Are you still in California? I'd love to hear LRC Jubes..

I am in the bay area. I will do auditions in about another year once I have a better permanent install for them and I don't have a crazy person next door.  

On 2/17/2019 at 9:29 PM, Schu said:

Did I really just buy a Ferrari to drive around in a parking lot.

Aprilia (RSVR). Bike didn't have to leave the garage and my wife enjoyed it.....

17 hours ago, Born2RockU said:

ROOM TREATMENT is more than 50% of the equation. 

You can own the worlds greatest equipment and have the most professional tuning equipment, ...and you are still at WAR with the room.

Priority ONE after purchasing fine equipment... room treatment !

~Enjoy the Process !

-Rock on... Craig

So much this. I have some DIY panels that help immensely, but cant wait to have a final room I can really dial in. Carpet as well. 

Yup kept this tag as it kind of stuck since my days over at the AF1 Aprilia Forum. I had always dreamed of the Nera. Never got to see one in person. It was twice the price of the RSV if I can remember. I'll bet it becomes a collector someday.  I had the RSV 2004 grey with blue rims and then later traded for the 2007 factory R pictured here. Lots of track days on both bikes. Still think it was the best sounding bike out there if you put on a full system. I sold it in 2012 still miss it.

Aprilia.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RSVRMAN said:

Arrived safely and undamaged late last week. I unboxed on Monday. Will post pics when I get them a bit more in place. 

CONGRATULATIONs on their safe arrival !

~ I am curious of the size of the room (W x L X H )

~Have you prepped the room acoustically, ... before their arrival ?  

~Also, what components are you going to use ?

This is exciting, for sure.

~Enjoy the process.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Schu said:

We definetely chewed some of the same pavement then... I knew Amari well because I used to live in Irvine, ca.

Oh yes, countless threads to go through. I remember doing all the little mods I believe his name was Clarke? Was almost 14ish years ago? Removing weight from fly wheel, airbox mod flapper valve, the rear brake boiling to 5.1 and various mods to keep the clutch from getting air in it having to re-bleed. I remember Amari's posts as well. Never met in person as I was in MN, but read a lot of their suggestions. I think it was clarke that turned me to the tigcraft exhaust above. I did a few group buys as well, one was the smoked lenses above. Fun times, funny how small the world is. 

4 hours ago, Born2RockU said:

CONGRATULATIONs on their safe arrival !

~ I am curious of the size of the room (W x L X H )

~Have you prepped the room acoustically, ... before their arrival ?  

~Also, what components are you going to use ?

This is exciting, for sure.

~Enjoy the process.

Thanks! I have a few panels that are on the wall for temporary purposes. The new room slightly bigger than my old room, but opens up into the kitchen and no corner wall for imaging on one side.  I already had the L & R, for a year or so, but just got the center channel. I was using a DC-ONE, but recently bought a xilica instead as I needed more inputs/outputs. For the time being I'm using D75a amps. One per jube. Using same Pre as you 7703 Marantz. Source is FLAC from my NAS. 

Since we are planning to move either very soon or in about a year, I'm not going to spend too much time with customization. When we do move I will have a more permanant spot for many years. At that time I'm prepared to do all of the acoustic changes necessary, even if it means hammering or making walls. Horn subs will be added and so will my la scalas for surround.  

Just took some pics of my finished 5.1 DVD -Audio JUBILEE setup.

Using movable Theater curtains / Bass Traps, Curved Diffusors, and 6 CLOUDs  !

1184319247_00LCR5.1.thumb.jpg.6f07d5469acb79ad52a72bb3e183fcc0.jpg

Here is the LEFT Surround side.

1188043182_00Left5.1.thumb.jpg.e7c6df94848deb0baa0b49fb7e6dbf2a.jpg

And the RIGHT Surround !1474473803_00Right5.1.thumb.jpg.374c82147f084949d2e26d4a7cb13931.jpg !

And the COMMAND Center !

Using TWO Xilica XP-4080 DSP's , for 11 Channels of BiAmping for 5.1 DVD-Audio analog playback .

964966126_000CommandCenter5.1.thumb.jpg.4db53ed6cce3da42ea56ec261d2b76cc.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Evening Ladies and Gents, 

So I'm just about to place my order for the Jubilee's and wanted to confirm that I'm ordering the correct mid range and bass bin, below is what I'm sure are the right combination for the Jubilee's

Also attached the photo from Klipsch Pro website 

KPT-402-MF
KPT-KHJ-LF

Can a Jubilee owner please confirm this is correct 

Cheers 

Deano 

KPT-Jubilee-535-Angled (1).jpg

28 minutes ago, babadono said:

Do you want the cinema/pro 3 way or the good enough for home 2 way? Are you dealing with Cory? aka Paducah Home Theatre? He will get the right items ordered for you I guarantee.

Hi fella, these are for 2 channel, I'm upgrading from fully active La Scala II's 

Dont know Cory I'm sure he is in the U.S I'm in New Zealand 

Deano 

Yes, I would also recommend talking to Cory (or Roy Delgado). 

What you have pictured is the three-way version. That will be a great system!

An option is to go for the two-way system (which is more common in a home system). In that configuration the bass bin and large horn (K-402) are used. However the small horn (K-510) is not used. Here is where it gets complicated. The compression driver (K-691) from the small tweeter horn (K-510) is placed on the large horn (K-402). The mid-range driver is not used.

Since  this is a somewhat non-standard configuration, the dealer may be unaware about swapping the drivers (it is necessary). There is an SKU that will define the proper configuration (Cory and Roy will know the specifics). 

Please note, there are DSP settings for this that were performed at the factory by the designer. These can be used on one of a number of DSP crossovers (for instance ElectroVoice, Behringer, Xilica, yamaha, etc). Unless you are ambitious, it is best not to try and set up the crossover yourself unless you use the pre-made settings or have someone looking over your shoulder. 

Good luck, 

-Tom

BTW, I have used most of the big Klipsch systems, the Jubilees are special.