Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

• Moderators
On 1/14/2017 at 11:44 AM, Srinath said:

a 3 way Jamboree

Why would you want a 3 way, could be I because I don't really know what a jamboree is. 

Does it have the 402 horn ?

In my silly opinion I say this because the 402 horn is what made the Jube the hit it is, more so than the bass bin, the 402 is just special. Don't get me wrong the Jube bass bin is great, really tight solid bass but the 402 is the magic people are hearing...... imo........... To me I wouldn't bother if there is no 402, that's just me.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dtel said:

Why would you want a 3 way, could be I because I don't really know what a jamboree is. 

In my silly opinion I say this because the 402 horn is what made the Jube the hit it is, more so than the bass bin, the 402 is just special. Don't get me wrong the Jube bass bin is great, really tight solid bass but the 402 is the magic people are hearing...... imo........... To me I wouldn't bother if there is no 402, that's just me.

I got some really good magic lying about 2405, Dynaudio, T35 etc etc as well as others.

I am not committing to anything yet. How about I put something on a removable type fitting and so then if a 402 were to turn up - and trust me, things turn up, they do in my life. I'll definitely give it a whirl.

Cool.

Srinath.

I'm sorta up the creek with just this twig anyway, these are Jamboree's with a 15 set that isn't really going to go high enough to let me run it as a 2 way.

The problem is the MD142 is only 93 db spl, and doesn't like much under 600 or so If I recall.

2405's are 6k and up, so I may have to fill the middle with the gauss cetec driver and - well, I got no horn for it at the moment.

Cool.

Srinath.

20 hours ago, dtel said:

Could you imagine how many bose cubes you could have in the same space as Jubes ? It could have been awesome, now you will never know. :(

Better sound through marketing and all. :emotion-55:

They sounded almost as good as the speakers I got from a guy a few years ago in a white van.

I still go into the stores and just generally want a listen. Keeping to myself, I usually don't ask much. I guess I feel you can't determine what bad audio is unless you hear all varieties. On a side note, Wife has really good hearing and was present during their demo. She quickly picked apart how it sounded and asked if my new speakers would sound like "This"?  Made me proud. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2017 at 4:16 PM, Srinath said:

I am not committing to anything yet. How about I put something on a removable type fitting and so then if a 402 were to turn up - and trust me, things turn up, they do in my life. I'll definitely give it a whirl.

Srinath, if I recall correctly, you are in either North or South Carolina (I think it was North)

Irrespective of that, I'm in Knoxville, TN.  If you'd like to hear the K402, I can put it on top of a LaScala bass bin, Jubilee bass bin and a MWM bass bin.  All 2-way, same top, just different bottoms.

RSVRMAN, any update or delivery date yet?  I'm sure it's been said but I don't recall and since I'm mooching around in your thread tossing out an invitation to Srinath, I thought I should at least show some respect to your situation & ask!

:)

Now, when they DO arrive, please don't let your excitement make you forget to take some pictures of your process!!

On 1/22/2017 at 4:15 AM, Coytee said:

RSVRMAN, any update or delivery date yet?  I'm sure it's been said but I don't recall and since I'm mooching around in your thread tossing out an invitation to Srinath, I thought I should at least show some respect to your situation & ask!

:)

Now, when they DO arrive, please don't let your excitement make you forget to take some pictures of your process!!

No date on delivery, but they cant come before the middle of February since I will be traveling. I had a small window before then, but was doubtful they would be done by that time so I chose a later delivery time. 

I plan to take a lot of pictures, possibly a video of the unboxing. I'd like to also take a lot of photos of how it all goes together and how everything sits in place. I usually only see the fronts of the Jubilee.That will hopefully help others in the future. 

The time is allowing me to tinker with what I have on hand a bit and really focus on organizing the music and movie collection. The wife and I watched a movie last night and using the TV speakers is just painful....shes even starting to get excited for their arrival :) 

• Like 3

• Moderators
11 hours ago, RSVRMAN said:

The time is allowing me to tinker with what I have on hand a bit and really focus on organizing the music and movie collection.

Yes, really get everything as good as it can possibly sound now. :lol: Not even knowing what your listening to now, you will be impressed, probably shocked, and I  say this confidently. 

Really glad the wife is excited, the size may shock her but the sound will make her happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Yes, really get everything as good as it can possibly sound now. :lol: Not even knowing what your listening to now, you will be impressed, probably shocked, and I  say this confidently. 

Really glad the wife is excited, the size may shock her but the sound will make her happy.

We just watched Pacific Rim on the TV tonight. She had never seen it, but I did in our last house with the full reference line. Wife said, movie was actually not too bad.... was painful for me to watch again. Some people say its 50% audio 50% visual, but I vehemently disagree. With amazing speakers you can make a bad movie good, not great, but good. Id say its 75% audio 25% visual. 

I'm now chilling to some pink floyd on the laptop speakers... woohoo!  I deleted all of my audio off my NAS. Nearly 20k+ songs. I was happy before with mediocre recordings and used to rip my CD's at the lowest rate to save space. (Ya I know the sin +T+ now). This is a fresh start. Like buying a vehicle used at 100k. change all the fluids, drain oil, transmission fluid, vac the brake lines, vac the power steering, vac the diffs, drain the radiator and antifreeze. 

This time going to do it right. Its a very slow process re-ripping the CD's. Though to pass the time. Any recommendations that I should pursue? I listen to literally everything. Organs, classical, old rock, 90s rock to daft punk. Love almost all music. 

9 hours ago, RSVRMAN said:

...Its a very slow process re-ripping the CD's. Though to pass the time. Any recommendations that I should pursue? I listen to literally everything. Organs, classical, old rock, 90s rock to daft punk. Love almost all music. 

I've found that the stereo albums that I listen to the most are those that turned out the best after fixing them. A small number of those titles can be found here:

and here:

I usually add to this list when there is demand for them.  The difference in listening engagement with these demastered stereo recordings is dramatic.  I listen to them exclusively when listening to stereo recordings.

I use foobar2000 to play all of my stereo and DVD-A tracks (multichannel) in flac format (lossless), which has all the plugins that I've needed for everything--free of charge. 

The best quality recordings that I own are actually multichannel and usually on Blu-Ray audio and video discs and SACD, which I've not tried to rip.  Ripping SACDs requires a Linux-running PS3 with low operating system version number, but I've left that task to a later time.  I own perhaps 100 SACDs, and if I owned more I'd probably start that process.

Chris

• Like 1

On 1/5/2017 at 10:20 AM, Chris A said:

If you're willing to ship one horn to Arlington, Texas, I'd be willing to test it and ship it back to you with the PEQ settings that I'd use. 

I may take you up on that offer.  Just bought a bigger home so my listening room has now doubled!  PM with your contact information and we'll get in touch.

• 2 weeks later...

For those following, I did post a question in the Subwoofer area. A lot of hypothetical there, but want to have a decision ready in the event that 30hz below is needed. I will try to keep that separate from here since its more of a sub question. 

Side note - we are very lucky to have such a large variety of quality speaker vendors in the US. I'm currently traveling and went to a movie theater overseas. I've never been to a theater that cost as much as it did with speakers that were being overdriven to insane levels. I honestly believe if I pulled back the curtain I'd see 100 random bookshelf speakers all wired together. This has been my findings in the several islands I've skipped across, but last night took the cake. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:53 PM, dtel said:

Dtel:

Them are mighty strong words......:-)

• Moderators

I guess it is :unsure: 

I believe it, I love the jube bass bin but after 8 years of listening on other bass bins (mwm) and spending many weekends listening to Kevin's factory jubes I think the biggest part of the magic is in the 402 horn. To me the jube bass bin does great, very tight with a really good sound, and much smaller than what we use, I just couldn't afford them, that simple, but this has nothing to do with my opinion of the 402.

Now remember just like before.......it's just my opinion. 

On January 13, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Chris A said:

I hope that these are recommendations, not commandments... ;)

I've heard Jubilees in Hope driven by very humble stereo amplifiers with Roy at the controls.  This was almost 2 years after taking delivery on my Jubilees in December 2007.  At that time, I'd invested in Crown D-75A stereo amplifiers and an EV Dx38 crossover after initially using Crown XTi-1000s (with built-in DSP/crossovers) for about 6 months.  I acquired a new pair of TAD TD-4002s about at the same time and the difference to my then-trained ears with the stock compression drivers wasn't close.  The TADs are spectacular.

But for those unaccustomed to listening to Jubs it might not have been nearly as great of a difference in listening performance, I found.  In other words, after owning Jubs for about two years my ears became more acutely tuned to their sound and to less obvious changes than to those that haven't heard them.

What I can say is that even though you might be using a not-so-expensive amplifier to drive them, the Jubs pretty much make it sound great regardless.  I think this is a much different case than other loudspeakers, especially those that are dependent on amplifiers in order to moderate their sound to tame some sort of "harshness" or other shortcoming.  Jubs don't have "harshness".  They fill the room with a huge soundstage with wall-to-wall sound that doesn't care where you're standing or sitting.  This is the real calling card for the Jubilee.  Huge soundstage and room-filling sound. That's what inhabits your consciousness when you listen to them (even after nine years) and is the main effect that you are processing in your mind when you listen to them for months or even years after first hearing them.

Jubs also don't have any issues with collapsing polar midrange horns, harsh-sounding drivers and just-able-to-cross drivers/horns between bass bin-midrange, and midrange-tweeter frequency response.  Jubs don't have issues with polar coverage at high frequencies.  Jubs don't have issues with harmonic, modulation and compression distortion, or impulse distortion as compared to other loudspeaker models.  When you remove all of the shortcomings of other loudspeakers that cause them to depend on certain amplifiers to mask their sound, then you start listening to the music and stop worrying about amplifiers and preamps in my experience.  You concentrate on the recordings themselves, the interpretation of the musicians, and the damage made to the recordings during their "music production" phase.  I can easily hear the difference in recordings that are playing. 

Now as far as quality of recordings is concerned and how they sound on Jubs. Great recordings sound like live performance (it's spooky at times) like something where you can close your eyes and imagine that "you're really there".  It's truly inspiring.  I believe that it's what we all wanted the hear from loudspeakers from a very young age.  It's here with Jubs.

However, mediocre recordings sound just like they did on other loudspeakers--mediocre--or perhaps even worse, and I believe that this is merely a testimonial to how badly mangled many recordings are when released.  Bad recordings still sound bad.  What I'm still amazed at is the expectation that loudspeakers can make badly done recordings sound good.  Nothing can be further from the truth. You cannot make bad recording sound good by just using different loudspeakers. 

I've also found that unmastering recordings (better called "demastering") sound much better than the released disc versions, and sometimes even spectacular on Jubs.  [But when I move these same demastered recordings to Heresies on the garage sound system that advantage is significantly reduced.  Less capable loudspeaker setups wind up masking the differences in recordings...It's okay: I'll stop talking about that particular point right here...:ph34r:]

Bottom line: Jubs turn the music into music, and you stop worrying about your setup.  That's been my experience over the past 9 years.  I now spend time on the recordings themselves to undo the damage done to them.  The results are paid back with interest.  I now listen to recordings that I would have never listened to before demastering.  This includes more than 50% of my growing recording collection. This isn't a testimonial on demastering--but rather on the performance level of Klipsch Jubilees. 

I really do wish that the studios would stop using much less capable loudspeakers to mix and master recordings.  Nearfield Yamaha NS-10Ms are just not in the same ballpark as Jubs.  And the other direct radiating drivers used in studio monitors just can't keep up with Jubs in my experience.

No kidding. :emotion-21:

Chris

Thanks for the verbal meaning of actually listening to Jubes and not just using graphs and statistics. I for one appreciate all you offer here but quickly get lost in the computer generated, analytic mumbo-jumbo. Much of what you say hits home with this new, three day Jube owner. I plan to offer my experience which follows closely with these observations. 

12 hours ago, richieb said:

Much of what you say hits home with this new, three day Jube owner. I plan to offer my experience which follows closely with these observations. 

Some related stuff that might be useful to you as you think about your own observations:

1. Perhaps dredging up the thread describing my first 100 days of Jub listening might be of limited historical value.  Note that I've learned a great deal since those early days.  Later in that thread, I described my 1000 day mark.

2. I've learned a lot about room acoustics using these loudspeakers and have learned the sensitivity and effectiveness of room acoustics on the resulting sound from them--so much so that I sat down and wrote on corner horn integration into the room and its acoustics.

3. I started listening to recordings that sound good and those that don't...on Jubilees.  From that, I published a little study on the statistics of Loudness War compression of music over time, then on ways to undo some of the effects of mastering practices that enhance the Jubilee listening experience significantly.

4. My latest foray into Jubilee-related center channel design using multiple-entry horn (MEH) design based on the K-402 has been much more successful than I'd ever imagine on a first try.  I'm currently planning to build at least two more for my own use.  There are advantages for the home hi-fi enthusiast that compete with the basic Jubilee design quite well, especially for those that simply don't have the room for full-up Jubilees.  This MEH loudspeaker design packs the performance of the Jubilee into a package about the size of a La Scala.

Maybe some of the above might also be useful to others contemplating Jubs.  It's been an interesting ride and one that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Chris

• Like 2