Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

2 hours ago, RSVRMAN said:

I got the full volume of what these things do and was standing 1ft away.

This is actually a point of concern.  I hope that the ringing clears up soon.  I believe that it's only funny if it wasn't your ears that suffered--it's a serious matter.  I recommend hearing protection in those instances.

When I started out with new Jubs, I bought a new preamp/processor that had real design problems. (I don't recommend that brand to anyone because to the number and severity of the designed-in problems that were present in that instance.)  It had spurious issues with sudden volume increases that drove my wife and son (in college at the time) out of the room and away behind closed doors.  It took a long time to fully trust the signal chain again--years in my case.

Hopefully, your next exercise will be more pleasant and confidence-building.  I set my preamp and amplifier gains up so that even with the preamp gain opened up to maximum, the in-room SPL doesn't go much over 105 dBC at the listening position.  That's worked like a charm. 

Chris

That would be an abrupt introduction to them, ouch!!

Up until I read that they worked, I was going to make the comment that they're not about good sound but rather just looking good...

Anyways, I think the main thing to double check (and I'm guessing it's not an issue by now) is did you have anything cross wired such that you sent the woofer signal to the tweeter and vice/versa...  that's my big fear.  With the plethora of wires, there is always a chance of doing that backwards so anytime (and every time) I wire them up, I leave the tweeter unplugged until I get the woofer section working, then attach the tweeter.

10 hours ago, RSVRMAN said:

Got about everything done. Once I move the toys I will try to take a few pics tomorrow.

I hooked everything up and no sound...wife took the kid out to play and let me fiddle.... so I started fiddling with the new Prepro, I know it's working, can hear the clicks as the capacitors change pending on the mode. Try a few different inputs and nothing. I then crank the gains on the amp way up and I slowly turn the volume up and sure enough there's the sound. Though it's very pulled back. I can see the input meters dancing a storm on the crossover, but the outputs had nothing. I went in with the laptop and rechecked and everything looked good. So.... I see this button on the crossover that says output.... I push it....

I then shit my pants..... 

I got the full volume of what these things do and was standing 1ft away. Gains up and prepro was at 95/100. I actually fell over and quickly got up to grab the volume pot. Thank god the kid wasn't home. 

So, when I'm less tired I will be playing with things.... very carefully. 

With ears ringing still after an hour later I put them away after the incident. I needed a shower... 

Ouch ! I did the same thing in 1987 when I bought a pair of Bose 901's, and a Kenwood Basic M-2A. It was the first CD played, 220 watts right in the kisser. To this day, I'm still afraid of that Whitesnake disc...  How wide are the Jubes in the shipping boxes ? I'm hoping to get them thru the front door in their boxes. 

Funny story, ( note to self, turn gains down  ) !!!

11 hours ago, dtel said:

I think you may have the best first listening story ever, very funny.

Should they come with a warning ?

Maby we should make a book.

#1 Don't press any buttons or change anything with everything cranked up, only go down on the volume before doing anything else.

#2 Don't scare kids or go deaf yourself.

#3 If using anything above a flea amp move gains slowly.

we can ady/d more later.........that was funny.

I've always been one to learn things the hard way. I was tired and just wanted to see if everything worked. Honestly I was doing just that, slowly increase volume, nothing, check x/y/z rinse repeat. When I clicked the output button, I figured it must go into settings and from there I could increase it. Lesson learned! What is odd is it has the button and functions on the crossover, but when I'm playing around via the software, I'm unable to find the setting. I will tread carefully.

11 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I knew you were a good writer, but  I didn't expect to anything as funny as that.

What a great story.

You son is really cute.

You will be rocking along tomorrow.

Travis

Glad you liked it! The son will be the luckiest kid in the neighborhood with wheels on the bus being played through jubilees. 

9 hours ago, Chris A said:

This is actually a point of concern.  I hope that the ringing clears up soon.  I believe that it's only funny if it wasn't your ears that suffered--it's a serious matter.  I recommend hearing protection in those instances.

When I started out with new Jubs, I bought a new preamp/processor that had real design problems. (I don't recommend that brand to anyone because to the number and severity of the designed-in problems that were present in that instance.)  It had spurious issues with sudden volume increases that drove my wife and son (in college at the time) out of the room and away behind closed doors.  It took a long time to fully trust the signal chain again--years in my case.

Hopefully, your next exercise will be more pleasant and confidence-building.  I set my preamp and amplifier gains up so that even with the preamp gain opened up to maximum, the in-room SPL doesn't go much over 105 dBC at the listening position.  That's worked like a charm. 

Chris

The ringing subsided mostly this morning. I've been around a hunting family most of my life, if I were to compare it was comparable to shooting a 45 without hearing protection. I have a few tricks that I do that lessons the ringing and can dampen my tinnitus. Should heal fine.

I have it quietly playing right now, trying to just put some hours into the prepro and amps while I go into the settings again. I'm not going to lie, when I reached up to power it on I was actually very gun shy. I could legitimately feel a tingle in my legs, fight of flight. 

7 hours ago, Coytee said:

That would be an abrupt introduction to them, ouch!!

Up until I read that they worked, I was going to make the comment that they're not about good sound but rather just looking good...

Anyways, I think the main thing to double check (and I'm guessing it's not an issue by now) is did you have anything cross wired such that you sent the woofer signal to the tweeter and vice/versa...  that's my big fear.  With the plethora of wires, there is always a chance of doing that backwards so anytime (and every time) I wire them up, I leave the tweeter unplugged until I get the woofer section working, then attach the tweeter.

With the amount of time I had on my hands, I actually got out the labeler and labeled every single cable. I then checked, rechecked over and over. I also screenshoted every setting and sent the crossover settings off to ensure they were crossed correctly by another. 

I think this is actually a really good idea though. Going forward, if I ever hookup future speakers, this will be on my do list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speed said:

Ouch ! I did the same thing in 1987 when I bought a pair of Bose 901's, and a Kenwood Basic M-2A. It was the first CD played, 220 watts right in the kisser. To this day, I'm still afraid of that Whitesnake disc...  How wide are the Jubes in the shipping boxes ? I'm hoping to get them thru the front door in their boxes. 

Funny story, ( note to self, turn gains down  ) !!!

Yikes! Its almost a mini trauma, however from now on I will surely respect them. The boy and I are chilling at home for the day, so his music is currently being played. I went to make us breakfast and and I heard the sound of the remote being slid off the table. I reckon that Usain Bolt would have had nothing on me for how fast I cleared the room to get that nuclear launch controller out of my sons hands. Its too early for me to shit my pants again. I haven't even had my coffee.

I took a lot of pics with measurements! I will look into those and post them in a few.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RSVRMAN said:

#1 Don't press any buttons or change anything with everything cranked up, only go down on the volume before doing anything else.

Yep. I know we've all made mistakes me included. But this is rule#1 with audio equipment of this caliber and SPL ability. And of course don't be plugging/unplugging/changing cables with the outputs on.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

No it's another guy.  Might be getting some for myself soon though.  To be honest I get everybody's real name and forum name mixed up, not sure if he's here or not.  

I am on here! You should definitely get a pair for yourself.

• Like 2

I will be editing some pages in the future, so I apologize in advance as it may appear I'm jumping around to the people that are in this thread. This will be the first referenced page to help others.

How do Jubilees come? Well a white van shows up with a shady character named Cory that tells you he has some leftover speakers from a new theater down the road. He may seem untrustworthy, but appearances can be deceiving as he is the stork of the speaker world.

17799089_10100279740255673_3464958202150575703_n.jpg

Jubilees come double stacked as you can see in the photo with my son and on a pallet. Klipsch does an outstanding job of packing these. They are shrink wrapped to the pallet, not bolted so I would not recommend ridding the pallet jack at speed around corners. Nothing like unloading the banked truck, riding the pallet jack and turning a corner that tightens with shrink wrapped pickles and mayonnaise jars.

Back on point, I strongly suggest inspecting them prior to shady Cory getting your signature and driving off. (For those that are really wondering who this Cory guy is at this point, Cory is my dealer that I ordered my Jubilees from and is one of the most upstanding guys I have ever had to the pleasure to work with.)

{The boxes when stacked on top of the pallet are 74” tall. I had room to spare without needing to break down prior to wheeling them into the garage. I have a standard 2 stall garage. The length of the bass bin box is 45” and both the horn and bass bin are 28” wide. Most standard doors are about 32” so you should be able to slide these through without needing to unbox. }

Box.JPG

Box 2.JPG

• Like 1

>Disclaimer: This is how I unboxed and I was able to do this all out without incident, scratches, dents etc. Do what works for you. I did this all on my own. These things do weigh well over 250 lbs. I've grown up around very heavy farm equipment and I'm also a gym rat, so I felt comfortable moving these with care on my own. Proceed with how YOU feel comfortable<

IMG_3708.JPG

I was able to open the tops of the boxes in a few minutes to examine the speakers. There were no tears in the plastic or dents upon their arrival. Fear not Klipsch actually has a good gap so when you slide the razor across the top, it should not touch the parts within. I would still recommend you use caution, as these are your babies from another mother.IMG_3700.JPG

After inspection, I signed off with the driver and began to start bringing them into my home. I have a single floor home and with the wife not being home, I grabbed two wheel dollies and slid the bass bins ontop strapped them down and proceeded inwards. I only had one 2' stair climb and was able to lift each dollie individually and work my way into my home without help.

Ok now they are in the home, so here are some pics on what it first looks like when unboxing. It was a bit awkward getting the horn out. I lifted by the brace only NOT the compression driver. Setting them off to the sides I then opened the bass bins. Surprise they come shipped upside down! Those shiny little guys are the floor sliders.

IMG_3709.JPG

On sliding them out I placed the plastic on the back side that would be tilted down for a friction-less removal. Even if your fronts are not veneered, tilt them on the backside, lower and then lift the box. Sliding them on the plastic was effortless and I did not have a single scratch.

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

4 hours ago, RSVRMAN said:

I will be editing some pages in the future, so I apologize in advance as it may appear I'm jumping around to the people that are in this thread. This will be the first referenced page to help others.

How do Jubilees come? Well a white van shows up with a shady character named Cory that tells you he has some leftover speakers from a new theater down the road. He may seem untrustworthy, but appearances can be deceiving as he is the stork of the speaker world.

Jubilees come double stacked as you can see in the photo with my son and on a pallet. Klipsch does an outstanding job of packing these. They are shrink wrapped to the pallet, not bolted so I would not recommend ridding the pallet jack at speed around corners. Nothing like unloading the banked truck, riding the pallet jack and turning a corner that tightens with shrink wrapped pickles and mayonnaise jars.

Back on point, I strongly suggest inspecting them prior to shady Cory getting your signature and driving off. (For those that are really wondering who this Cory guy is at this point, Cory is my dealer that I ordered my Jubilees from and is one of the most upstanding guys I have ever had to the pleasure to work with.)

{The boxes when stacked on top of the pallet are 74” tall. I had room to spare without needing to break down prior to wheeling them into the garage. I have a standard 2 stall garage. The length of the bass bin box is 45” and both the horn and bass bin are 28” wide. Most standard doors are about 32” so you should be able to slide these through without needing to unbox. }

Perfect, thanks...

Now that you have everything unboxed “WAIT” do not put the horns on top just yet. The horns do come with felt pads, however I could tell when they were on the hard floor of my kitchen that the weight of the horn and the screws underneath still protrude. I doubled up and put on thicker felt pads to ensure they wouldn't scratch the top of my bins. “HOLD ON” now before you put the horns on, there are two screws on top of the bass bins. These are holders that will keep the horns in place. They can also be rotated if so you so desire. Remove those screws. “NOW” you can put them on top of the bass bins. I would lift as much as possible and avoid sliding to avoid damage even with the felt pads.

IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3716.JPG

Trying to line up the holes is a bit difficult, so heres a tip. Take out your cell phone or use a flashlight and set directly over the small hole that is the most forward. Put it directly over top of the hole then slightly lift the horns base and peek inwards to align them. I found my cell phones small flashlight to make this process very easy, rather than poking around with a sharp object trying to find the hole in absolute darkness......

IMG_3719.JPG

On to leveling the horns. When they come, they are on the 0 setting. When I stood back, the horns appeared slightly tilted upwards. I will probably tilt them down more in the future, but for now I adjusted them to .5 and they are now level/straight with the bass bins.

IMG_3723.JPGIMG_3724.JPG

The new terminals look awesome! To see them inside, you have to tilt your head and they are now red and black, absent the white wire you see with the previous version. This is a very appeasing improvement that future owners should greatly appreciate. 

IMG_3714.JPG

Cleaned up the legos, here they are. I've always loved Cherry, in the evening light the wood is very deep red and during the day it appears lighten up in color. Klipsch does a very good job with the veneer and is very picky to the grain matching. 

IMG_3731.JPG

image2.JPG

• Like 8