Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

I'm the first to admit my ignorance....but I'm intrigued on your comment about adjusting the gains.

I would think you'd want the gains on the amps set at the same level (be it 20% volume or 100%) and then set the crossover as per Roy's settings and I would expect things to be in balance.

Maybe one of those in the know could elaborate.

This is how I've done mine.  I go to each Crown, turn them down....then count the clicks to a certain level and put each channel of each amp at that same number of clicks.

100% correct. This was me dinking around. I count the clicks the same as you. I turned the horns up and the bins down and vice versa. I wanted to learn where the handoff/crossover is with the horns and the bins. Just helping me along the way to understand what I'm hearing.

I had them a bit turned up at his point. Things started dancing in other rooms heh. Usually it's 5 clicks putting them at about 9 o'clock. I'm very happy that everyone pointed me to the crowns (D75a). I got all 3 used on eBay for a steal. More power than I'd ever need. Only if I had a much, much bigger room "may" require more power. Best part, no hiss at all from the speakers. They are dead quiet when standing next to them. I could stick my head in the horn, but I'm still a bit flinchy on getting that close again. 

Hello friends 

i feel that if you are going to spend this kind of cash,  I think it would be far more cost affected to buy a plane ticket and see someone's system that's on the level of what your wanting

i think spending a few hundred on a plane ticket would save you 2 times that in the  knowledge that you would receive on the trip

you could also pay a audio engineer that is local to you to help you setup the crossovers and the input and output levels. I used to charge 75.00 per hour for doing this here around Orlando. BUT don't go to the bestbuy newbies, get a  real studio engineer. He or she will have the right tools to do the job and show you the how's and whys of tuning it as you add gear

2 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

I feel that if you are going to spend this kind of cash,  I think it would be far more cost effective to buy a plane ticket and see someone's system that's on the level of what your wanting.  I think spending a few hundred on a plane ticket would save you 2 times that in the knowledge that you would receive on the trip

Good advice, in my experience.

2 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

You could also pay a audio engineer that is local to you to help you setup the crossovers and the input and output levels. I used to charge 75.00 per hour for doing this here around Orlando. BUT don't go to the Best Buy newbies, get a  real studio engineer. He or she will have the right tools to do the job and show you the hows and whys of tuning it as you add gear.

This is also an interesting comment.  In my experience, the level of specialized knowledge needed to provide an outstanding turn-key performance might be beyond your typical local sources. 

Perhaps getting help from a dealer who can help out with technical sales support would be the obvious solution.  This includes helping the customer with room acoustics--sort of like what another unnamed manufacturer did with their loudspeakers a while ago (fully horn-loaded). 

It would help if Klipsch would support its dealers via technical product training (especially Jubs with active crossover programming, in-room acoustic measurements, etc.) and providing a list of where each model of the loudspeaker they sell can be heard in a well set-up environment, or at least at the factory, with available dates and contact numbers/website sign-ups.  This would help the strengthen their product brand and their dealer network greatly, and it would only cost a few days of support by a knowledgeable engineer each year.  Perhaps this is something that a dealer could request.

Really good comments, Carlthess. 

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks Chris for the kind words

one other thing, most live sound engineers are not up to par as a recording engineer , I  recommend a recording engineer to help with the setup

recording engineers are more  tailored for clarity and definition, As opposed  to high SPL with live sound 

and as  mentioned in previous post room preparation is one of the top things needed keep in mind sound reflection. Also good sound   Dampening material on the side and behind the speakers , also  sound traps in the corners of high ceiling corners 

theres also a few good websites for DIY of making these things and also great DIY for speaker and rca cables

i can pm some links for you, not to sure on the  rules for posting websites on open fourm

if you could tell me your zip code I may be able to find a engineer close to you. Then you could speak to them and see if they could help you and the fees they charge

16 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Thanks Chris for the kind words

one other thing, most live sound engineers are not up to par as a recording engineer , I  recommend a recording engineer to help with the setup

recording engineers are more  tailored for clarity and definition, As opposed  to high SPL with live sound 

and as  mentioned in previous post room preparation is one of the top things needed keep in mind sound reflection. Also good sound   Dampening material on the side and behind the speakers , also  sound traps in the corners of high ceiling corners 

theres also a few good websites for DIY of making these things and also great DIY for speaker and rca cables

i can pm some links for you, not to sure on the  rules for posting websites on open fourm

if you could tell me your zip code I may be able to find a engineer close to you. Then you could speak to them and see if they could help you and the fees they charge

This is good advice, though not sure if you know who "Chris" here is. He has all of this done. And then some.... and then some more...

and some more :). Search a bit and you will find out. 

There are few on this forum that can understand his knowledge of recording, setup, crossovers, speakers etc. End to end he is the guy.  

18 minutes ago, Schu said:

I dont want to buy a plane ticket, I dont want a "sound engineer" at my home... just get me the speakers, I will figure it out. :)

I'm more like you. If you're dropping the kind of cash on audio, you should know the ins and outs to your best ability. 

When I sold my last race bike, the buyers interested got to hear it, not ride it. I feel it's a bit of like owning Jubilees, though you may get more of a demo than from me selling my bike. I want to be in the drivers seat, even if it means I make a mistake and go deaf for a few days.

I hope to go to Hope as well someday, but visiting a current owner and considering travel costs, hotel lodging to not burden the owner, using vacation time we're looking at more than a few hundred. IMO I'd rather put that to more speakers, but if you have limitless income, all for it. Though with time, more owners in more areas will hopefully cure this dilemma.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Actually I would love to have a knowledgeable member come do some test / eval / suggestions since I am not capable. Yes, I would pay. 

I can see both sides to this. What if he tunes them, you spent $1000 and you now hate the sound? Or worse he doesn't know how to tune Jubilees or what you have. 

I know I keep using engine, mechanic related analogies, but I once took a DSM to a highly vetted shop for a dyno run and not only did I lose power they ran one of my cylinders too lean and required a rebuild. Ya I was not happy. Next time I took it to a shop that let me do the tune, I walked out with a much better powerband, more horsepower/torque. And I'm not an engineer. 

To each their own. 

Well, since I am a bit more than lost in my attempt to use REW and my kit is a lot less complicated than yours I would spend some brewski time with a bud watching and learning then perhaps I could tweak it myself after learning the how to

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, HPower said:

I did think about veneering the whole thing, inside and outside, but figured I was pushing my luck/ability just to build these bins.

i am glad it is over, glad they turned out "ok", and very happy they sound great.

I did take a bunch of pics along the way but did not want to pollute our site with too many "non Klipsch" things.

I may have posted this shot already, but here is a Full Monty... 

Toms _Jubilikes.jpg

Those custom Jube bins encased in zebra wood are gorgeous.

On 4/7/2017 at 6:31 PM, RSVRMAN said:

I'm very happy that everyone pointed me to the crowns (D75a). I got all 3 used on eBay for a steal.

I did the same thing, on Chris A's recommendations. We may have been bidding against each other, how funny...

• Like 1