Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I believe that there are more than a few more than just myself and Richard that use the front panel inputs on a Dx38...not that it really matters...;)

Chris

I would agree if Speed was real comfortable with manually programing things like VCR start and stop times, Universal remotes etc. the transition to manual entry on the DX isn't too much.  If that sort of stuff drives you crazy, or if he is from the generation of on screen users, Race might be a lot easier.  The guys who do this for a living used Race.  Plus with Race you can copy additional presets and tweak those to your taste, plus you can change presets back and forth on the fly from your listening chair.

The visual interface in Race shows what is happening with crossover frequencies, etc. which for someone like me with very limited brain function on such matters helped me understand what was going on with these settings. 

Speed I think you will be fine either way.  

56 minutes ago, jwc said:

Did the new K402 come with the mumps?  We need a picture.

Do you believe that the K-402 needs mumps?   The measurements that I've seen say that the horn doesn't need them...especially down to the 400 Hz high pass frequency that seems to be the lowest frequency used with two-way Jubs.  In fact, the polar performance is spectacular presently, down to at least the crossover frequency:

KPT-402 hor directivity.jpg

KPT-402 vert directivity.jpg

1 hour ago, Speed said:

Thank you, i will try to do it with my computer is windows vista will let me. I downloaded the tlx, what program can I use to open it?

Race download program available here and if you don't have it I have attached the Owners Manual pdf

http://www.electrovoice.com/downloads.php?type=RACE

I have always used the front panel programing myself and I believe if you play with it a little bit you will find yourself getting pretty comfortable in a short period of time. Note: You can program or practice programing the unit without having it installed in the system which is what I did since I had the EV about a month before my Jubilees arrived back in 2006.:)

If you like experimenting or getting a visual of what the settings are doing I do recommend using the race program. for that even if your not using it to actually program the unit itself.

miketn

Dx38_Manual_Rev.5.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

polar performance is spectacular presently

Are you saying Roy can't do better.  It is "spectacular"

I once heard Roy say that the 510 (before mumps) was the best he could do for that size of horn.....hah!

1 hour ago, jwc said:

Are you saying Roy can't do better.  It is "spectacular"

I once heard Roy say that the 510 (before mumps) was the best he could do for that size of horn.....hah!

No, not at all. I think that the K-402 is underutilized as-is (but, you probably don't want to hear that...). There's a thread on that.  I happen to believe that's nothing but another "DIY" like you've been doing, but in this case, with fairly unique properties - both measured and listening.

I'm saying that diminishing returns are quite apparent based on the K-402 profile--in terms of polars vs. frequency--based on Roy's own data measured in the Hope chamber.  I think that the current K-402 profile is pretty spectacular.  If you add "mumps" to further correct the horizontal polars, it will affect the vertical polars at the same time, which are apparently just fine as-is looking at the plots.

But you can do whatever you like to fulfill whatever goal(s) that you have.  If it's simply the smell of sawdust, that's great, too. In my youth. I helped make a lot of sawdust with my old man-including many loudspeaker designs.  Wood has its limitations, IME, but if that's your thing, go for it...I do believe in DIY, unlike some others here.

Chris

1 minute ago, Chris A said:

nothing but another

It is more than that to me.   

For one...staying busy in the shop keeps me out of trouble.

I'll make no attempt to assume how to make the K402 better.  Will leave that to Roy.......way above my head.  I'm just ribbin' ...heck he mumped the other horns.......why not.

4 minutes ago, Chris A said:

but, you probably don't want to hear that..

Not sure why that is.

It seems to be a sensitive subject...for whatever reason. 

I feel it's just another DIY last year that turned out much better than I ever imagined.  (YMMV.)  I've offered the design to Roy--but there's apparently little interest.  Perhaps NIH?  Don't know.

Chris

6 minutes ago, jwc said:

For one...staying busy in the shop keeps me out of trouble.

That was my old man's pastime, too.  Lots of interesting stories and pieces (clocks, furniture, loudspeakers, etc.). But it turns out I'm sensitive to sawdust (pine) and hydrocarbon fuels like gasoline and diesel, which we used as general cleansers for everything  I now prefer to work in other mediums whenever possible.

Chris

Well I've said that many times after some of my DIY.  I will let it be 100% goof and fun.  I've built stuff...ran curves to prove a point to myself...... and then take it to the dump.  

Best set of horns I've ever built are not in my hands.....in Seti's.   I had to move on to make room for more stuff.

These horns I just posted are an exact fit under K402 dims.  Purely for giggles.  I'm learning a new technique and trying to refine.  I'll probably let these go too.

I think I've had 3 pairs of K402's....sadly don't have any.........LOL.  Maybe Mumps will encourage me to buy em' again.

5 hours ago, Speed said:

I downloaded the tlx, what program can I use to open it?

It uses the RACE program

Nice thing about it in my view is you can type in anything you want at lighting speed (however fast you are on the keyboard) verses rotating that dial.

That is the one shortcoming of the front panel.

But, like Chris said... it doesn't take long, especially if you know about and use that "trick" (for lack of better word) to jump between output channels.  It's pretty slick.

One thing with the PDF and the front of the DX is the face of the unit scrolls through each column.  Starting with first column at the top...it goes to the bottom, jumps back to 2nd column at top....goes to bottom....  3rd and so forth...  So in that sense, I call it 'linear'.  You can scroll through pretty quick once you realize where you are and want to be.

None the less...  the RACE program is pretty cool and also lets you change things on the fly.

5 hours ago, jwc said:

Shucks.....figured it was out by now

I thought Roy once said the 402 didn't need the mumps.  (I certainly could be wrong or he could have changed his mind)

I think he said it was better off with the measles...

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

I thought Roy once said the 402 didn't need the mumps.  (I certainly could be wrong or he could have changed his mind)

I think he said it was better off with the measles...

I hope the 402 doesn't get shingles, later in life. Oh wait, that's the chicken pox. The last couple pages has been a blast for me. All the members that influenced me to get Jubilee's have been commenting. Awesome. Except dtel, where you at ???

• Like 2