Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Speed said:

Except dtel, where you at ???

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Shh, hes passed out drunkemoji12.png

In a way I wish, we drove all  day yesterday coming back from Tennessee getting home about dark last night. Got up this morning to go help daughter remodeling a old house and going back to work on the house in the AM. 

I read here but if you ask me, Roy is the man, he's been doing this for over 30 years, most of that with PWK, and he has a better way to test than anyone here. And a whole lot less full of himself than some, he's very modest.  

JC, one of the smartest people I have ever met,(probably not happy I said that) and has come up with some great looking horns, usually not small but very cool the way he builds them.

Me I just like to listen to music, when these smart guys figure it out, I follow, and enjoy the music, I'm not a tinkerer.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dtel said:

Me I just like to listen to music, when these smart guys figure it out, I follow, and enjoy the music, I'm not a tinkerer.

I'm the same way. I appreciate PWK. Also, Roy for allowing us to purchase the Unicorn. You, and some of the aforementioned forum members convinced me to jump in with both feet, so thanks... 

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Speed said:

You, and some of the aforementioned forum members convinced me to jump in with both feet, so thanks... 

Well I will comment if it's something I have heard in person and thought really sounded good, just like everyone tries to do, it's what really helps around here, it's expensive to just try things as everyone has. It's easier that many here have heard different models, so that can be used in comparison to try and understand a model someone has never heard before. 

1 hour ago, totalcomfort said:

One of the great things about this hobby, is you get to meet and know people that make these magic boxes that you are so crazy about.

Have a very vague idea of what they do, but am glad there are people that have a passion for it.

I'm happy to keep it vague and just enjoy the end product, but your right without people with a passion for it, we would be in trouble.

As far as the people I have been lucky enough to meet, it's the best part. We have made some very good friends because of this place, people we are now close to outside the whole speaker music thing, we visit back and forth, travel and even take vacations together. It's crazy, I would have never thought this could have ever happen, but really glad the way it has turned out. 

Roy is one of these people, if I seem to always defend Roy it's because I know him as a real friend. This let me see how passionate he is about this stuff and about PWK and his own work, to know how he feels about it all personally, gave me a great respect for him.  Most of the time we do not talk about speakers/audio stuff, OK well maby half and half, and when we do he has to (like the old saying) bring it down to one cylinder for me, which he seems to enjoy doing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dtel said:

people with a passion for it

Thanks for the props Dtel.  Love doing build stuff for the love of the knowledge and more so....coming up with a plan....and actually be able to build it.  That is the fun part.

However, sometimes....just want to sit back on the couch and listen to music and forget about design.  We can barf up;  polars, efficiency, sensitivity, coverage, delay, phase......blah, blah.  Everything has a compromise.

Lately, I've been more into simplicity and finding the love for music again.  It is hard to quantify or qualify "love" of music.  I now there is available mega big horns with option of 6-8 channels of amps with electronic processing and biga$$ horn subs.......but when I get time-off and chillin'...I want a pair of speakers right in front of me with no sub.  I might even want to roll some tubes and play a CD I've had since the 80's.

I'm still trying to find the love I had back when I was listening to Kg4s and Kg5.2s.  I loved listening to music more then than I do now.  It could be that I'm older and just can't find that "draw" anymore.  Don't know.

Could Forte III or 396 fit the bill....possible.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2017 at 6:31 PM, RSVRMAN said:

I'm very happy that everyone pointed me to the crowns (D75a).

I have listened to two, of the three I bought. They sound good, but I get static with every click when I adjust the gains. Have you had this problem with yours ?

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Speed said:

On 4/7/2017 at 8:31 PM, RSVRMAN said:

I'm very happy that everyone pointed me to the crowns (D75a).

I have listened to two, of the three I bought. They sound good, but I get static with every click when I adjust the gains. Have you had this problem with yours ?

I use 3 of them, two inside for 2 Ch and one out by the bar and no sounds with the gains, but I do get a mild pop through the speakers when I shut them off no matter what order I turn them off. So I leave them on unless I'm leaving for a week or more they draw very little at idle. The one in the bar is outside, under a roof but still somewhat exposed to humidity and fog so it stays on. I needed something out there that would not be expensive to replace so I got a Pioneer Supertuner with pre-outs and added one D 75, it works great and has been out there for over 3 years with no problems so far, they both always stay on to help keep them dry.

JC is who told me about the D-75's when I was trying to think of a cheap way to power the 2 Ch inside, I needed 4 channels and the 75's work great. Not a crazy amount of power but easily enough for very efficient speakers indoors, so I got 2 from ebay and another from a forum member. 

I am a little surprised at that the one outside or the car radio has not had a problem, there in a little box so I hoping it being on helps keep out moisture ? One pic you can see the box and where the Heresy's ended up, where the grills are up by the roof angled down and mounted upside down. The other pic is where the box slides in behind the bar, no rain on it ever but it is outside, and sounds pretty good. Wifi works well out there and it has a Cd player, I connected a long cable so I can lay in the hammock and adjust volume and change songs. Since then the speakers are kind of hidden by a large fishing net, which has all kinds of things people added to decorate the net, it's not plain anymore like in the pic. 

Almost hate to say it but it's almost my favorite place to listen to music.

yard-2-15.JPG

yard-1-10.JPG

yard-24-2.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Speed said:

As a matter of fact, I had one that was scratchy. I was going to take it apart, but I sprayed a light amount of contact cleaner with a bit of compressed air and viola, problem resolved. I don't anticipate moving the knobs often so hopefully this will resolve. If you want a whole teardown, this was what I would follow. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvOepREO4k

12 hours ago, jwc said:

I loved listening to music more then than I do now.  It could be that I'm older and just can't find that "draw" anymore.  Don't know.

I still think it was the incredible creativity and variety of the music from the late 50's to the late 80's, that was so great and made all of us music lovers. Not a lot to get excited about, since then, for me. I've heard the music I like so many times, it loses some of it's appeal. So I look for better speakers, amps, videos and concerts on DVD,  to add excitement, and a fresh sound on the same music. Just an opinion...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Speed said:

14 hours ago, jwc said:

I loved listening to music more then than I do now.  It could be that I'm older and just can't find that "draw" anymore.  Don't know.

I still think it was the incredible creativity and variety of the music from the late 50's to the late 80's, that was so great and made all of us music lovers.

I thought the same thing, but I have not said it much thinking I sounded like my dad, but I believe it.

1 hour ago, Speed said:

Not a lot to get excited about, since then, for me. I've heard the music I like so many times, it loses some of it's appeal. So I look for better speakers, amps, videos and concerts on DVD,  to add excitement, and a fresh sound on the same music. Just an opinion...

I even have a hard time finding DVD concerts I like and have not bought a Cd in a long time. I do find alot of music I do like from places like Pandora, I probably have 60 different stations, all kinds of music, it's such an easy way to hear new things, which many times it is just new to me but mostly not new music. Guess I'm just getting old. 

6 hours ago, dtel said:

I even have a hard time finding DVD concerts I like and have not bought a Cd in a long time. I do find a lot of music I do like from places like Pandora, I probably have 60 different stations, all kinds of music, it's such an easy way to hear new things, which many times it is just new to me but mostly not new music.

I still am acquiring ~3-5 CDs per week and demastering them, and I'm still amazed at how small a piece of the total catalog of music that I've actually touched.  Sure, I still have many favorites that get played a few times per year, but the size of the entire recorded music catalog is actually staggering.

About a year ago, I bought a used book from Amazon marketplace called 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (which I actually don't recommend to my friends).  I used Amazon Marketplace to buy perhaps 25-30 of those albums from that list that I didn't already own, checking the DR Database for all albums released since 1991--the year that serious Loudness War clipping and compression started--to get the CD versions with the highest DR ratings.  That was an interesting and rewarding adventure.  I found a few old albums that I'd missed along the way and a small handful of newer ones that were listenable with reasonable dynamic range intact or dynamic range that was recoverable through demastering.  These type of lists exist for popular (including Rolling Stone lists) and also classical music are everywhere it seems. 

I've since moved away from those kind of lists and have sought out my albums by a variety of methods.  Almost all of these albums are available on used CD, which I immediately demaster when they arrive through the USPS.  I can see from the backlog of albums yet to be acquired that I've got at least as many albums yet to go as I currently own--about 1500 CDs thus far--and it would be quite easy to extend that to-do list by 100% without breaking a sweat.

So in short, there's an infinite well of music out there just waiting to be heard.  I don't plan on letting that opportunity go by.  The resulting hard drive full of demastered music is a legacy that I can will to future generations.

Chris

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 3:30 PM, mikebse2a3 said:

It's a fact some people are scared to try something new or different while others like to explore, learn and take chances..!!!

"To each his own"

miketn

I just wish Chris and a couple of others would stop presenting some of these solutions as "easy peasy."  

No one ever discusses the gain structure issues related to mixing consumer and commercial gear. 

14 minutes ago, Deang said:

No one ever discusses the gain structure issues related to mixing consumer and commercial gear. 

Nobody who? This comes up fer sure. Let me try to find threads if/when i get a chance, i'm still working for a living.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Nobody who? This comes up fer sure. Let me try to find threads if/when i get a chance.

You go first.

My dbx DriveRack PA2 digital electronic crossover has an input level selector button. The following quote is copied from the owners manual  "This switch sets the PA2’s input sensitivity. Select the +4dBu option (switch out) when connecting a mixer or device which has a nominal output operating level of around +4dBu. Select the -10dBV option (switch in) when connecting a mixer or device which operates at a lower “consumer” level, such as some DJ mixers or a consumer device with unbalanced output connectors (such as RCA connectors)."

IMG_0579.JPG.44c69e42623f60b67884f1bfea21a6d3.JPG

• Moderators
3 hours ago, babadono said:

3 hours ago, Deang said:

Nobody who? This comes up fer sure. Let me try to find threads if/when i get a chance, i'm still working for a living.

I think part of the problem is some insist some of the simpler fixes for this is no good, or add noise or something. I tried this little $65 box and it worked great NO added noise at all, I think we would hear any noise if there was any using a 402 horn. Cleanbox pro

It works and it's cheap, no noise. Yes it's something added in the line, if someone is allergic to such things, but the only difference I hear now I can adjust the gain without changing anything else. I did have to switch out from all XLR's to one set of RCA's, no noise before or after, dead quiet. The only noise I have at all is one of the Crown D-75 amps sometimes has a slight hum, at the amp not through the speaker and you have to be kind of close to hear it, never seen that before

Using...DAC to Cleanbox to DX 38 to 2 Crown D-75 amps, out to speakers.

B_ART_cleanboxpro.jpg