Best Receiver for Set Up

mcobb3

I had 2 R28-F set up on a cheap 2 channel, 200 watt insignia receiver when I upgraded from my Klipsch bookshelves speakers. I had problems with the receiver shutting off even though it was 100 watts per channel, when playing at high volumes.  Decided to get a new receiver.  

Went to best buy and they sold me on the Sony STR-DN1070.  Honestly it sounds good and it doesn't shut off anymore.  I am very annoyed the more research I do in that Sony never gives WPC in 8 OHMs.  

Klipsch blog says to have receiver that does 120 watts  at 8 ohm measuring at 20-20k mhz.  

1. I'm not sure if this receiver does this because sony specs seem to be a scam.  

2. Am I under powering?  Is this a good receiver or am I way off in terms of do I need to spend more money for a better recever? 

Honestly I just want to play music and maybe hook my tv to my set up.  I will have a 200 watt sub and 2 book shelf speakers I want to add as well.  This receiver is more than I will ever need but not sure if it is matching that power I need for maximum performance for these speaker. 

I've read a lot of people saying they are amping with 5 watts but I want maximum performance not minimum requirements.  $600 is probably my budget right now.  Am I way off mark here? 

Thank you in advace.  

Edited by mcobb3
adding info

To be clear: I want very clear sound and some decent high level of loudness.  

Maybe hook up to my tv.  

I'm feeling like I bought a receiver that does a whole bunch of stuff I don't care about and paid a premium for that stuff instead of a stripped down, high power receiver for sound. 

If your receiver isn't shutting down at the levels you're playing, it's fine. Your Insignia receiver may have had internal protection devices which activated when the speakers drew too much current or the receiver got too hot (thermal protection).

As efficient as your Klipsch speakers are (they play louder with less power required than most speakers) you shouldn't need much power to drive them; even 120 watts isn't necessary.

You DID buy a receiver with many more features than you need. Unless you're looking to RETURN IT for something less complex and less expensive that meets your needs,

I'd say keep it. For the price of the Sony, you'd probably pay the same price for something that meets your needs but without all the bells and whistles.

However, if you're looking for recommendations for something else, just ask and I'm sure you'll get many sound answers.

• Like 1

I can't seem to find much about actual power numbers for that Sony mcobb3 but I will point out that an AVR that weighs 23 lbs is probably not a heavyweight as far as power output.Receiver shopping is like a magic show. The salesman tells you about all the perks and you feel suddenly like you are getting a great deal and jump on it. I guess you will have to go by what you hear. If your receiver sounds lacking I believe Best Buy will gladly refund you so you can grab something else. Sony has had handshake issues in the past with some Bluray players, cable boxes etc. so make sure everything is doing what you would expect it to do.

Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz and a couple other manufacturers are out there and priced competitively. Personally I had good luck with my Yamahas in the past and Onkyo seems pretty good, but that Onk gets hot so be sure to give it room to breathe.

Tim 

• Like 1

Thank you both for the comments!  Yeah sound is pretty good actually.  Like you say receiver buying is like a magic show. I wish there were some type of standard or 3rd party tester that could make a standard.  But I guess that wouldn't be as fun haha. 

I think I got my answer and will keep the receiver I got.   

My thinking was: Could I get the same sound for cheaper; with less bells and whistles? (looks like I can't).  Or do I need to spend more?  

Sounds like I am where I need to be......at least for now. 

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been debating between the Anthem AVM 60 and Rotel RSP 1582

I have a decent Anthem 3 channel Amp with 200 Watts per channel all driven that I would use for my front channels and I would either top that up with an Anthem PVA  4 amp for the rest (125 watt per channel) Or the 5 Channel RMB-1585 if I went with Rotel.

Any feedback on this system would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any input.