A-Z or Birds of a feather

IMHO, Gordon Lightfoot and Godsmack don't belong together any more than Rob Zombie and Rod Stewart. Separating by artists / by the types of music can get as complicated are separating by time periods.  

Regardless of if you're listing off of the Cloud or have wax cylinders: How do you sort / store your music?

Regardless of format (cd vs vinyl) always in alphabetical order. The battles were won or lost long ago between the Black Keys and Black Sabbath.

I need an easy way to find what I'm looking for and genre or some other more esoteric way of sorting is too much for me.

• Like 1

Alphabetical, but not in exact order. Artists grouped within the letter by genre. Luther Allison next to Alligator records compilations, Bach next to Beethoven, etc. Connecting letters by genre or instrument John Coltrane-->Miles Davis, Jefferson Airplane-->Jorma Kaukonen. Bands with two or more names by first letter, i.e Jethro Tull is in "J", nicknames such as Dr. John is in D as Beau Jocque is in B. Solo artists filed by last name, Blossom Dearie in D.

Not perfect, but enough to satisfy my German virgo OCD.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Dewey Decimal.

Thanks Dave...I needed that:D

I'm old school and still listen to CDs. I have a few hundred in various cases, I don't use any system at all. There's Beethoven's 9th right next to the first CD I ever bought, in 1984, PF The Wall.

My music is exclusively on CDs, with a few DVD-Audio discs thrown in (wish I had more or those). I have the discs sorted first by 3 main genres: Rock, Jazz & Classical. Within each genre discs are sorted alphabetically by artist's last name, or by group name. Within each artist the discs are sorted chronologically, starting with the earliest work through the most recent work, with collections following the original releases.

I have no idea why I started sorting discs chronologically within artists, but I've done that ever since I was a kid. (Admittedly I had way fewer discs to worry about back then.)

P.S. I HATE systems (like iTunes) that sort by an artist's first name. Neil Young belongs in the "Y" section, not in the "N" section. Sorting by first name on a public system like iTunes is just plain idiotic.(What consenting adults do within the privacy of their own music collections is another matter.)

Edited by hsosdrummer

Alphabetical...

Groups by the first word in the group name (excluding "The"). Individual artists by last name. Albums with two individuals (e.g. Bobby Bland & B. B. King - Together Again...Live) are stored by the first artist listed. I considered separating by genre, but decided on the simplicity of just alphabetical.

Albums and CDs all A-Z regardless of genre or at least that's how they've been  catalogued a few times over the last 30 something years. After pulling out a couple dozen at a time and sitting down for a binge listening session two or three times a month and then being too lazy or too buzzed to file them back that's not how they are anymore. Not looking forward to spending a couple hours filing then back so now they're strung out leaning against a wall, the entertainment center, the TV and anywhere else convenient where they won't get trampled on. 

I'm going alphabetical and breaking out the classical and country with their own racks. Mostly have old skool rock to metal. I still see a need to have an alternative selection rack too. Can see any need to keep Rob Zombie and Metallica with Roberta Flack and Melissa Etheridge. 

• 2 months later...

I think that everyone is saying either all A to Z or maybe a few categories such as Rock - Jazz Classical is the way to go.  Otherwise it is too complicated, especially if you are drinking. 

I will try that.  I also need to sort out the few hundred albums that will be banished form the collection.