Oldtimer achieves toaster upgrade!

Mallette

Oldtimer, AKA Brian, gets a coveted toaster upgrade for his service at the Regional Music Heritage Center Inaugural Day event.  He drove in from Dallas to tend bar...and did a total pro job of it.  Nothing "virtual" about Forum Friends!  We were honored as the mayors of Texarkana read a joint proclamation of "RMHC Inauguration Day.  We had our minds expanded with Conlon Nancarrow played back on our rare 1928 Marshall & Wendell AMPICO player piano as per Nancarrow's preference, our minds blown by Dr. John Tennisons "Texarkanon" played back by 4 Roland piano synthesizers through KI-396 loudspeakers supported by an 1802 subwoofer with computer display that clearly showed (count'em) the peak of 4400 notes per second attained in this massive and complex piece composed for this occasion.  That piece can be downloaded below in "Test your system. 

Then, we boogied-woogied with John, got jazz'd up with Carol Collins-Miles and Three of a Kind, and we were regaled with world class Scott Joplin performed by Dr. Robert Willey of Ball State University. 

Thanks for helping make it a big success, Brian!

Dave

DSC_1681.JPG

DSC_1678.JPG

DSC_1683.JPG

DSC_1684.JPG

DSC_1692.JPG

DSC02825.JPG

DSC02835.JPG

DSC_1699.JPG

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, Tarheel said:

So that's oldtimer......oh my he's cute!  The pic of the trio looks like Elton John on bass and BigStewMan on drums.

Chuck--i thought we were brothers? Calling me a drummer? When I was a little kid, my grandma would sit me on her knee and say, “BigStewMan, when  it seems that all hope is gone and things couldn’t get any worse, just tell yourself, at least I’m not a drummer."

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:43 AM, Mallette said:

Conlon Nancarrow played back on our rare 1928 Marshall & Wendell AMPICO player piano as per Nancarrow's preference,

Not his, but the type he used.  Mallette can tell you who belongs to the scrolls.  Nancarrow was native to Texarkana.

• Like 2

Didn't go back far enough to really follow this thread, but due to the reference worth mentioning that while the date isn't set, RMHC will sponsor a Conlon Nancarrow New Music Festival either late fourth quarter or in the first half of the first quarter of next year.  Building renovation should be complete by then.

Dave