JBL B460 or?

brians7

Ok Guys I am using Belles for my mains and looking to add more to the bottom end. I have a single SVS SB13 Ultra but have been looking at a JBL B460. So any thoughts about subs My room is 24x24 should I buy another SVS SB13 Ultra, Buy the JBL B460 or Build just build a Tuba 30? I appetite your input  Thanks Brian

I have had a B460 for 25 years now I have never heard a sub I like more for music listening.  I have a pair of Danley DTS 10s I use to watch movies with but the JBL sounds so much better if you don't need crazy volume.  The only issue I could see is a possible lack of factory recone or refoam kits.  Give it a listen and then jump on it it will go fast. 

4 hours ago, Gnote said:

Many of us heard and saw Jason's Table Tuba at a Chicago GTG . It was beautiful and the sound was excellent. 

If I still had my Belles ,that is exactly what I would do.  All I have now is bunch of black speakers :lol:

Properly placed it really sings.

So which would you choose and why? The MCM have the highest Sensitivity and two of them would = a 8ohm load. The Tang Band has the highest Xmax and more power Handling and also end up with a 8ohm load. The Eminence has the highest Resonant Frequency 33 Hz but looks to have the best Specifications and would end up 4ohm load . Thanks for you time Jason

36 minutes ago, brians7 said:

The MCM have the highest Sensitivity and two of them would = a 8ohm load.

I'm not an expert but I believe if you wire the two drivers in series (as opposed to parallel) the load would = a 4 Ohm load.

55 minutes ago, brians7 said:

So which would you choose and why? The MCM have the highest Sensitivity and two of them would = a 8ohm load. The Tang Band has the highest Xmax and more power Handling and also end up with a 8ohm load. The Eminence has the highest Resonant Frequency 33 Hz but looks to have the best Specifications and would end up 4ohm load . Thanks for you time Jason

The design was based around the MCM but the other drivers are of higher quality and will offer a few extra dB, the choice is up to you.

Horn loading increases impedance around 50% or so in these designs so the 4 Ohm driver will net you around 6 Ohm's each.

Too tired to calculate series/parallel for the DVC tonight but you get the idea.

Don't be to worried about power handling, you will probably never push over 50 watts even while cranking the mains to insane volumes.

Sorry, could hardly keep my eyes open last night.

Dual 4 Ohm drivers

2 x 6 Ohm in series will get you =12 Ohm load

2 x 6 Ohm in parallel-----------------3 Ohm load

Dual DVC drivers (4 x 4 Ohm)

DVC or 6x6 OHM options.

Series/Parallel   = 6 Ohm

Parallel/Parallel  = 1.5 Ohm

Series/Series     = 24 Ohm

17 hours ago, brians7 said:

Ok Guys I am using Belles for my mains and looking to add more to the bottom end. I have a single SVS SB13 Ultra but have been looking at a JBL B460. So any thoughts about subs My room is 24x24 should I buy another SVS SB13 Ultra, Buy the JBL B460 or Build just build a Tuba 30? I appetite your input  Thanks Brian

Music only or HT?

Yep, that's you.  I forgot your forum name.  I have a dual 8" driver Table Tuba and amp we can bring over to your house to see if you like the sound.  I currently have it on my back patio but we could bring it over for an audition one afternoon if you like.  I have no way to transport it but if you can get it to your house and back you're welcome to hear it.

On 12/21/2016 at 8:13 PM, bobdog said:

I have had a B460 for 25 years now I have never heard a sub I like more for music listening.  I have a pair of Danley DTS 10s I use to watch movies with but the JBL sounds so much better if you don't need crazy volume.  The only issue I could see is a possible lack of factory recone or refoam kits.  Give it a listen and then jump on it it will go fast. 

If you decide to get a B460 or the smaller B380 make sure you get the special BX-63A crossover with it so you get optimum output out of it.  I had a B380 for many years but my Velodyne's dig far deeper.  I would love to try a table tuba.