Heresy II vs III

Flitwoodmac

Hello to everybody

After a first experience with Klipsch speaker (Rf82 MK1) , i want to get an Heritage Range speaker and i'm looking to buy a brand new pair of Heresy III.  But i see last week a pair of Heresy II in very good condition on a second hand web site like the craigslist you got.

These speakers are far from my house so i have not the possiblility to listen to them before i order them, and the seller send them

My question is : Is there a big différence of sound and performance between a brand new Heresy III and a Heresy II ?

Is the money saved by buying used equipment not useful in order to invest in a subwoofer to help the Heresy in low frequencies  ?

Thank

Sorry if my english is not very good but i'm not american...

The HIII is an improvement on the HII and HI for sure.  The used HII should be a 4th of the cost of the HIII so it could be a good value choice.   Either way I would listen to them before deciding on your need for a subwoofer.    I'd feel better about the HII's if you could go see, hear, and pick them up in person versus someone shipping them.  

• Like 1

If you do purchase a Heresy II, suggest that you upgrade the crossovers. At the same time you can upgrade the Tweeters to Titanium. I found that these updates will improve your Heresy or other Heritage model dramatically. The cost for parts is approximately $100, and just need a screw driver (preferably a electric). I have bought my parts from Bob Crities, extremely pleased with the results. When completed, you'll have virtually new speakers.

Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, BlueHusky79 said:

"If you do purchase a Heresy II, suggest that you upgrade the crossovers. At the same time you can upgrade the Tweeters to Titanium. I found that these updates will improve your Heresy or other Heritage model dramatically. The cost for parts is approximately $100, and just need a screw driver (preferably a electric). I have bought my parts from Bob Crities, extremely pleased with the results. When completed, you'll have virtually new speakers."

I agree 100%.  I did the same with my Heresy II's.  New xo's and tweeter diaphragms.  They went from being terrific to phenomenal.  Check with Bob on crossovers and tweeter diaphragms.  Once you make those changes, you're 75% of the way to a Heresy III.   All for about $100.....

Merry Christmas everyone!

3 hours ago, Flitwoodmac said:

Ok thanks for your answer, i think i will take the II.

I keep you informed

We definitely want to hear your opinion after you get them. Considering you have no clue what they sound like, I'd be interested in your first impressions, other than the $hi!-eating grin!

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of Heresy II's that I upgraded to III's with Klipsch's conversion kit.  It came with new woofers, midrange, and tweeters.  It also came with new H3

crossovers.  It made a 100% difference.  The bass is much stronger and mid/highs not so harsh.  I power them with a Marantz 2325 receiver, so they have a full tube-like 

sound.   You don't nee subs.  I run tone controls flat.

• 5 months later...

I recently acquired the Heresy II's in rare mahogany with old-school grill covers in absolutely mint condition and a new Yamaha a-S501 integrated amplifier and AT LP120 turntable and AT120eb needle. When I played with the dials and first heard Tin Pan Alley on vinyl I absolutely dropped my jaw at the crystal clarity of the sound. Then I played Antonio Carlos Yobim and it was absolutely blown away at the 3D clarity and live-like sound. I can't imagine how the III could sound any better but I'm a beginner. I will say this though. I just came off from owning a pair of Klipsch The Sixes and this Heresy II setup absolutely smokes them in every regard. The sound is spine tingling while the Sixes sounded excellent, but more muffled or as if a towel is in front of them by comparison. It just shocks me to hear how beautiful sounding the Heresy II's are. I just attended an audio show and they had a headphone setup with tube amplifier that cost $55,000, yes 55K and I swear the Heresy II rig sounds unquestionably better and more 3 dimensional compared to those headsets. I tried others headsets that were $8,000 but still the clarity isn't like these Heresy II's. Perhaps it's the way my room is set up. I went to Ikea and acquired two laptop stands costing $4 each because my Heresy II's never came with stands. Although they are up at a pretty steep angle, they are very bottom heavy and can hardly be pushed over even when trying. I have soft cloth under them to help absorb any vibrating. The Heresy's have a very live-like soundstage to them but they don't sound harsh at all! Quite the contrary they sound extremely soothing and the base is tight. I'm not a numbers kind of guy, but I just listen and try to share what my ears tell me. I recently visited the Magnolia room to listen to B&W flagship speakers costing $10,000 and another B&W costing $1,800 and the 10k Model sounded much better because it had detail and brighter clarity but once again, these Heresy's at home just sounded better than all of those to me. My room is bizarre. It's about 10x30 and my ceiling tapers in like the inside of a pyramid because it's an A-frame. I'm nowhere near as experienced as you guys are, but the Heresy's are amazing speakers!

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1144.JPG

• Like 4