What was Paul's taste in music?

chriswhotakesphotos

We know that one of Paul's goals for the Klipschorn was to create the sound of a live orchestra at home. But did his music taste change throughout his career? Since Paul was around for a lot of different kinds of music, I'm curious about what else he ended up liking, and whether that influenced any of his later designs. Thanks!

I heard he became a closet fan of Marie Osmond after having a beer with Mr. Hunter.

I don't know all the sordid details but that's the story I'm spreading.

:ph34r:

(I'm just thankful that this forum doesn't have an emoticon of a specific hand gesture...)

:huh:

As far as I know, PWK heard his first symphony in Houston during the 1930's.  Forty years later when he was married to Valerie he would explain that he preferred symphony and Valerie liked opera.  When they went out they would compromise and go to the opera.  Actually they attended quite a bit of symphony too, including much support (patronage, recording, and financial) for the Arkansas Symphony, which he occasionally referred to as the Arkansas "Sympathy".  Beyond symphony, it would appear from his KlipschTape exploits that he liked Dixieland, Jazz, choir, and particularly organ, both theater and classical.  His knowledge of organ acoustics AND mechanics was staggering.  It might be said that he liked everything EXCEPT rock.

• Like 1

Same mix of musical tastes for my parents: my mother was a grad school organ major/musicologist, and my father was the sound reproduction enthusiast.  I understand these musical tastes.  They're included in my tastes (but I also like rock and roll, too).

• Like 1