Just bought my speakers

chasec2021

13 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Link says no promo found.  When I clicked on the link yesterday, it was $350.00.  Never saw anywhere that gave a promo code or price of $150

I just checked my email for the Frys promocode sales and this is included in the seven day ad.  The store Web page won't show the sale price.  Last time I used a promocode I had to use it at checkout.  What a great price!  I bought mine on open box a few years ago at a good discount but not this good!  Too bad I don't have a need for another one....

fryspromo.JPG

3 hours ago, Youthman said:

Link says no promo found.  When I clicked on the link yesterday, it was $350.00.  Never saw anywhere that gave a promo code or price of $150

you have to sign up for the email list and it will be in the email they send you

The throwback sale on the ones you got isn't a waste, it's a great deal on great speakers.  Wondering if you should have stuck with the cheaper line shouldn't be on the radar, the titanium tweeter alone is well worth it, just way more comfortable and less harsh.  

The only problem I see people running in to is that they don't plan ahead.  They'll get the towers thinking they'll add the center later on, except they later realize whoops, the centers are sold out at the place they originally shopped at.  These things were just a limited run and once they're gone, they're gone.  Been seeing people trying to upgrade with time only to end up with a mismatched front stage.  That's really the only down side to this, there's no matching dispersed surrounds available and neither the towers nor center nor bookshelves will be around for long.  If you're going to upgrade one piece at a time, you'd be better off sticking with ref premier in my opinion.  

• Like 2

Oh, and yeah Fry's is exactly why I didn't stock up on any. :)  I could get them but it made zero sense in the grand scheme of things.  They've been selling for stupid prices, if you can take advantage of it then more power to you.  

14 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The throwback sale on the ones you got isn't a waste, it's a great deal on great speakers.  Wondering if you should have stuck with the cheaper line shouldn't be on the radar, the titanium tweeter alone is well worth it, just way more comfortable and less harsh.  

The only problem I see people running in to is that they don't plan ahead.  They'll get the towers thinking they'll add the center later on, except they later realize whoops, the centers are sold out at the place they originally shopped at.  These things were just a limited run and once they're gone, they're gone.  Been seeing people trying to upgrade with time only to end up with a mismatched front stage.  That's really the only down side to this, there's no matching dispersed surrounds available and neither the towers nor center nor bookshelves will be around for long.  If you're going to upgrade one piece at a time, you'd be better off sticking with ref premier in my opinion.  

Ya, it sucks they arent making Ref iis anymore. The love I saw people have for the RC 62 ii, and saying it was better than even some of the better ones from RP was enough for me to go with they dying line. My real issue though is once i get towers down the road and surrounds, is that I am defininitely going to want Dolby Atmos, and they never made atmos speakers for RFii.. I wonder how well they mesh with this set, or it it is just better to get in ceilings to match the RF ii line.

On 2016-12-29 at 9:12 AM, chasec2021 said:

Nobody told me how much bigger the RC 62 II was than the R 25C!!

And sorry the pic is kinda blurry

20161228_172425.jpg

Indeed, they are a very large centre, one of the few around with 61/2 inch drivers! They punch far far above their weight and price-point  and are neutral enough to work well with many different front mains. You will be happy with this for many years to come.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Indeed, they are a very large centre, one of the few around with 61/2 inch drivers! They punch far far above their weight and price-point  and are neutral enough to work well with many different front mains. You will be happy with this for many years to come.

I can't complain so far. I have only gotten to test them a few times a good volumes, but man, I am impressed

• Like 1

I think you will be for for a long time. There is just something about the whole Reference II 6 series that just seems to work very well. Like others, I find the RB61 II great all the way around. The centre being as large and powerful as it is just shines. The only one out there that may best it would be the RC 64, but it is probably overkill for a lot of folks and still pretty pricey. In fact when I had my AV unit built (it was a slightly modified version of Standout Designs Horizon model), I had the centre channel shelf purposefully slightly enlarged to accommodate the speaker. This is a photo of the unit I had replicated.

Solid Wood Media Console | Horizon EX 72" – Espresso on Cherry, Clear Door Glass

3 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

I think you will be for for a long time. There is just something about the whole Reference II 6 series that just seems to work very well. Like others, I find the RB61 II great all the way around. The centre being as large and powerful as it is just shines. The only one out there that may best it would be the RC 64, but it is probably overkill for a lot of folks and still pretty pricey. In fact when I had my AV unit built (it was a slightly modified version of Standout Designs Horizon model), I had the centre channel shelf purposefully slightly enlarged to accommodate the speaker. This is a photo of the unit I had replicated.

Solid Wood Media Console | Horizon EX 72" – Espresso on Cherry, Clear Door Glass

That is really nice looking. I am making due with what I have for now in the house I am in. Probably be here for at least 2 or 3 years before me and the Mrs. upgrade. We aren't married just yet, but want to stay where I am for a few years before making any moves. Just wish it was a square room so I could do more with it. But it sounds good for now for sure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasec2021 said:

do you have to tilt the center channel up to where you are sitting?

Yes I do. I allowed for a bit of extra height to allow for it. As you will have seen there is an adjustment feature on the bottom of the speaker. It doesn't require much of an angle to have the centre horn lined up with your ears at your sitting position. When you set it up, do so with the cover off. You'll be able to tell pretty much by eyeballing it from your chair or chesterfield.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Yes I do. I allowed for a bit of extra height to allow for it. As you will have seen there is an adjustment feature on the bottom of the speaker. It doesn't require much of an angle to have the centre horn lined up with your ears at your sitting position. When you set it up, do so with the cover off. You'll be able to tell pretty much by eyeballing it from your chair or chesterfield.

Yea, it was from my own experience that I asked the question. Mine is tilted down, sounds great pointed right at you, as it is supposed to.

• Like 1