Sound help please

Jimi V

Hello all. I am looking for advice on my sound. I have a Pioneer Elite SC-81. I am running the  Klipsch Reference series from Best Buy. 28's for mains , R15 bookshelves for rear,  R25 center and R12 subs. 

My issue is that music sounds great but I don't seem to be getting very good sounding dialog from my Dish Network from this system. 

Is the pioneer powerful enough ?  

Do I need to upgrade my center ?  If so will mix matching series create any issues ?  

Upgrade my HDMI cables ?

Thanks in advance !!! 

7 hours ago, Jimi V said:

Hello all. I am looking for advice on my sound. I have a Pioneer Elite SC-81. I am running the  Klipsch Reference series from Best Buy. 28's for mains , R15 bookshelves for rear,  R25 center and R12 subs. 

My issue is that music sounds great but I don't seem to be getting very good sounding dialog from my Dish Network from this system. 

Is the pioneer powerful enough ?  

Do I need to upgrade my center ?  If so will mix matching series create any issues ?  

Upgrade my HDMI cables ?

Thanks in advance !!! 

What sounds wrong about the dialog?  Is it not clear enough?  Too dull?  Too bright?  Too much bass?  "Electronic" sounding?  Distorted?  How big a room do you have and how close do you sit?  Is the dialog o.k. if it comes directly from a Blu-ray or DVD instead of Dish Network?

A pic of the room would help.  Is the center speaker in a cabinet, how low or high compared to TV, is the room larger than 3000 cu. ft., vaulted ceiling, etc.  I had the similar Icon V center and dialogue was not a problem.  The Pioneer should be plenty of power.  Something else is wrong.  Are speakers set to Large or Small?

27 minutes ago, Jimi V said:

It's dull to me. Good size room. I sit about 12' from the center. Dialog seems about the same from all audio. It just seems like it's not projecting. 

Have you tried turning the volume up a few decibels on the center channel only to see if it helps or makes a difference... It may simply need to be a little louder.

Did you run FULL mcacc pro?

What sound processing is selected during playback (rock, spoken word, jazz etc)?

What sound format are you running (stereo, surround wide etc)?

What format is feeding you elite (pcm, bitstream etc)?

There ARE  a lot of variables that need to be weeded thru when using the modern AVR because they are so adjustable and capable.

• Like 1

In the picture, nothing suggests placement is the issue.

as before, even though the center is slightly undersized, I believe the issue is probably processing of some sort.

after running mcacc, did you go into setting and do any further massaging? I know i always have to even though room correction gets you to a point, I would still need to go in and manually makes some changes such as distance setting, out put of individual channels, EQ between different speaker types (if using different speaker types/series), and etc... you might try and run mcacc as NOT symmetrical... because your room is NOT symmetrical.

14 hours ago, garyrc said:

If you sit on the couches shown, you are pretty much off-axis, which means not as much treble would reach you as when sitting on the center line directly in front of the center speaker.

Directly in front of my center is seating also. About 15 feet from it. 

I ordered a RC 62ii to replace my 25 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimi V said:

Directly in front of my center is seating also. About 15 feet from it. 

I ordered a RC 62ii to replace my 25 

When you get it, aim it up slightly, so that the tweeter is pointed at your ears.  Use the adjustable feet to tilt the speaker.  Turn up the volume 1 dB to 3 dB on the center, if necessary.

• Like 1

There is probably not much sense in detailing the current center setup since you have the RC-62 II coming in.

I think I am onboard with Shu as he is trying to find the AVR listening mode.  To that end, is dialog coming out of center, or is it distributed to the L/R as well?

It sounds to me like the incoming signal is 5.1 content being processed into 2 channel, across the front 3 speakers.  When this happens you get dialog that just doesn't sound right, and it is mixed up into the music in the L/R.  What you want is your AVR to really separate the voices to the center, and the music track to the L/R.

My Onk's listening mode name for 2-channel into 5.1 is Neo-6 Music, (voices to the L/C/R) or Neo-6 Theater (voices to the center speaker).  I think I have a Dolby D listening mode that will do that also.