Is this receiver good enough?

Marshall1090

Hey guys I am looking into buying a pair of rp260f and I am wondering if the Pioneer VSX-1124 would be good enough to run them? If not I would like to stay in the price range and with pioneer. Please let me know. I don't want to buy something that won't do the job right. And have the option of adding speakers later on.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshall1090,

Welcome to the forum.

A few factors need to be explored.

1. How large is your room?

2. How loud do you listen?

3. Will you definitely be expanding to multichannel(5.1, 7.1, etc.) with a subwoofer?

From my interpretation of the specshttp://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-vsx-1124-av-receiver-specs(and bench testshttp://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-vsx-1124-av-receiver-test-bench), you should be okay if you don't like it loud, have a smaller room, and you have no more than 5 speakers.  Otherwise this may not be a good choice if you want to extract all the performance these speakers have on tap.  One good thing about this AVR is that it does have stereo preouts where you could add a nice 2-channel amplifier for the front R-L speakers and free up some of the AVR's power to properly drive the center and surround speakers.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks bill

My room is approx 15x20. I honestly probably won't be adding to many speakers to the mix for a while. Just want to get something to get started right. And I like it pretty loud. Not bust your ear drums but I want to be able to hear all of the details ya know

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:38 PM, Marshall1090 said:

Thanks bill

My room is approx 15x20. I honestly probably won't be adding to many speakers to the mix for a while. Just want to get something to get started right. And I like it pretty loud. Not bust your ear drums but I want to be able to hear all of the details ya know

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:38 PM, Marshall1090 said:

Really just wanting something to power these speakers to where I am able to get all of the good out of them lol

Do you have a max budget?

Will you be watching more movies, TV, etc. or listening to music more?

Bill

Personally, I've never heard a receiver I didn't want to turn off. They're good for Best Buy showrooms, but good speakers will do nothing but magnify what they do poorly.

For $500, I'd look for a NAD integrated amp (the C 316BEE is inexpensive and very well-regarded) or one of Emotiva's new pieces. The TA-100 integrated would be great because if you want more power later, you can use the pre-outs for a new power amp and have it function just as a preamp. I just got an amp from that same series and it's phenomenal.

If you buy full separates (I'd get an Emotiva PT-100 preamp and A-100 amp to stay in budget) you'll also have your upgrade path to multiple speakers, you can swap the preamp for a home theater preamp down the line and add amplifiers for the other speakers. It'll sound much better than a receiver, too.

• Like 1

What is your source material? If you are like me and just watch DVDs you can get away with an older good receiver like a Denon that has an optical connection. To get the most out of Blu Ray, make sure you have an HDMI pass through. The used market for AVRs is usually pretty good because its something wealthy people love to upgrade even if their current model is still in like new condition. You should be able to get a good one for $150-$200. 

That gives you more room to play around with for a standalone amp. Personally, I love Class D for its crystal clear and life like sound. I would get 2 of these amps from parts express and run each as a mono block and you can get a third down the road for a center channel. Then just use the RCA pre-outs from your receiver and the amps turn on automatically. For the surround channels, I would just let the receiver power them as its usually ambient noises and not as critical as your 2 or 3 front speakers.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-da30-2-x-15w-class-d-bridgeable-mini-amplifier--300-330

• Like 1