Concerts at Madison Square Garden (Clapton)

merkin

I'm toying with the idea of seeing Clapton at Madison Square Garden.  My daughter is in grad school at NYU and would plan a trip to visit her around the concert dates.  Any one attended concerts there, I was wondering about where the best/value for seating is.  The Monday date still has lots of options as long as you are willing to shell out the $$$'s.  Also did you buy tickets through the garden's site or through the secondary sellers.?  

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if this is Clapton's last tour and performances after all of the news I've read about the problems he's having with his hands, and nerve issues.  If you have the funds and the time, I would definitely go for it.  I'd also bet good money that he will have a bunch of very special "guests" on stage for the performances.

• Like 2

It depends on which section you're in, the sports arena or the other arena. I've seen concerts in both and they are all decent seats no matter where you are. The closer of course the better, but if in the sports area, I'd try to stay in the 100 or 200 section worst case.

Thanks Jim,   I was looking at the 100 sections, just didn't know if the straight back from the stage 102 would be to far away.  There are some on the sides about half way up.  As Jimjimbo said this may be his last.  He only has 2 dates in NY and then 2 in LA.  Then he goes back to London and do 3 shows at Royal Albert Hall. The bill says that Jimmy Vaugh and Gary Clark Jr.  I would bet that he might have some other special guest Join him.

I have seen many concerts @ MSG since I am a life long New Yorker, The last show I saw there was Billy Joel & I had tickets in the "Madison Club". These are seats behind the stage, but believe me they are much closer to the stage than most orchestra tickets. Now with Billy it didn't matter as much as a piano player he plays perpendicular to the crowd, as opposed to Clapton who will for the most part be facing the audience.

However the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks on these seats. First there are only two rows and 8 seats in each section, so odds are pretty good you will be on the aisle. Second, there is a full bar directly behind the Madison Club which is basically empty, as this is the bar for all of the suites in that area.The Madison Club is located on the same level as the luxury suites.  Anyone who has ever waited on line for a crappy draft beer at a sports venue will appreciate the benefit of this setup.

Third the bathrooms are located on other side of the bar, there are attendants in each one, so bring some singles, and they are not crowded like the cattle stalls throughout the rest of the Garden.

Fourth, the seats have a large countertop in front of them which allows you to put down your drink or whatever without worrying about having it kicked over. So don't be afraid of checking out tickets in this area, I think I sat in section 62 or 63. the tickets while still expensive, were cheaper than orchestra seats & I had NO ONE standing in front of me for the entire show.

I last saw Clapton at the Garden when he did the retirement/medical benefits tour with Cream. While one of rock's greatest guitarists, he is not a dynamic performer by any means. He basically stands stock still and at the end of each song leans into the mic and says "Thank You". The Garden had huge screens during the Billy Joel show so you could see everything going on while the band faced away from us. These screens do not interfere with your sightlines.

DO NOT carry anything deemd to be illegal or a weapon into MSG. You have to go through metal detectors. My wife had her Tiffany pen knife in her purse & they made her check it at the security desk. Just a head's up. I agree this is probably EC's farewell tour, so if you are a fan or have never seen "Slowhand" you should make the effort. I bought my tickets through "VividSeats"

• Like 1

Thanks Stephen I'm thinking about pulling the trigger today.   The only time that I've seen Clapton was back in 78 when I was in school.  He had Muddy Waters open for him.  At the time I didn't appreciate his talent.  Thanks for the heads up on were you bought your tickets.  My wife and I are going there to visit often and she always wants to see Broadway shows.  I usually scan the internet to see if there are any live music show going on while we are there.  My Daughter lives in Brooklyn now (the edge of bedford stuy)  and I'd like to check out some clubs in Brooklyn and Manhattan.  If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

• Like 1

I am guessing you mean music clubs, since my techno/house/trance/dub-step" game is a little weak! For jazz the old standbys are still the best. In the Village, Blue Note & the Village Vanguard, also check out Small's on West 10th street. In midtown, Iridium & Birdland. For Blues, Terra Blues, Delta Grill & B.B.Kings. There are plenty of others as well.

Can't really help with Brooklyn. If you need help with Manhatttan restaurants, I could recommend some places.

I was fortunate to see the Clapton/Winwood tour a few years back and Eric still had it. He was also very grateful and thankful to the crowd.

Check the show listings for City Winery when you are there. Small venue that gets some great acts. Saw John Mayall there last year and he is older than Eric!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stephen Schaffer said:

I have seen many concerts @ MSG since I am a life long New Yorker, The last show I saw there was Billy Joel & I had tickets in the "Madison Club". These are seats behind the stage, but believe me they are much closer to the stage than most orchestra tickets. Now with Billy it didn't matter as much as a piano player he plays perpendicular to the crowd, as opposed to Clapton who will for the most part be facing the audience.

However the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks on these seats. First there are only two rows and 8 seats in each section, so odds are pretty good you will be on the aisle. Second, there is a full bar directly behind the Madison Club which is basically empty, as this is the bar for all of the suites in that area.The Madison Club is located on the same level as the luxury suites.  Anyone who has ever waited on line for a crappy draft beer at a sports venue will appreciate the benefit of this setup.

Third the bathrooms are located on other side of the bar, there are attendants in each one, so bring some singles, and they are not crowded like the cattle stalls throughout the rest of the Garden.

Fourth, the seats have a large countertop in front of them which allows you to put down your drink or whatever without worrying about having it kicked over. So don't be afraid of checking out tickets in this area, I think I sat in section 62 or 63. the tickets while still expensive, were cheaper than orchestra seats & I had NO ONE standing in front of me for the entire show.

I last saw Clapton at the Garden when he did the retirement/medical benefits tour with Cream. While one of rock's greatest guitarists, he is not a dynamic performer by any means. He basically stands stock still and at the end of each song leans into the mic and says "Thank You". The Garden had huge screens during the Billy Joel show so you could see everything going on while the band faced away from us. These screens do not interfere with your sightlines.

DO NOT carry anything deemd to be illegal or a weapon into MSG. You have to go through metal detectors. My wife had her Tiffany pen knife in her purse & they made her check it at the security desk. Just a head's up. I agree this is probably EC's farewell tour, so if you are a fan or have never seen "Slowhand" you should make the effort. I bought my tickets through "VividSeats"

Very good response for MSG.

I saw Clapton in the forum next to Giants Stadium (Brenden Byrne Arena) and we were also behind him, but he did occasionally turn around to play to us. He is very mechanical though with his playing, although his drummer makes up for it slightly (if it's the same one he had in the 90's). He played for 2 hours and 45 minutes for us though, so at the end of the concert you were kinda tired as he doesn't run around like some others. Sound wise he was one of the better concerts I went to as well. It is amazing how he makes that guitar sing with almost no effort put into it like some of the others who play up to the audience (Joe Satriani being one who does).

Well I pulled the trigger.   3 seats section 106 row 10.   I probably could have bought an old pair of khorns for the price.  It may be one of his last in the US and hopeful that there might be some special guest show up.   Well it will be fun to see him and in that venue.  

• Like 1