Help! Speaker suggestions for a Macintosh MC 225 Amp? 30 w. per channel.

claydo

Hi all, Im a newbie, and was hoping to get comparing views on a single speaker pair set up that would bring out the warmth of my macintosh mc 225 30m watt per channel Amp using bugle boy tubes. Im using a Mac mx110 preamp. I love warm and detailed mids and highs, and will listen mostly at moderate levels. A punchy sound that still sounds good at lower volumes and isn't tiresome seems like what I am after.  I have two placements, one in a 10 by 20 foot room, and another in a 20 by 30 foot room. I will gladly consider a larger speaker,  but my preference is for something floor standing, or smaller in case I move. Any and all advice welcome! THANKS!!!

• Like 1

Hi Claydo, welcome to the forum.  Very nice amp, great choice, and a terrific preamp. I have very similar gear.   A lot depends on your room setup, whether you have good corners to place floor standers, your music taste, etc.  A photo or two of your rooms would be very helpful.  Right off the top, I'd go with a pair of Klipsch Heritage speakers, such as La Scala, Klipschorn, or Chorus II.    And, btw, what's your general location?  You may want to hook up with another forum member(s) to audition some speakers.  Enjoy your search and journey.

• Like 1

Jim gave some excellent suggestions.  That amp will drive a lot Klipsch speakers very well.  The Heritage speakers are great choices.  Depending on what style your are looking  for in the room, the Plalladium towers or RF 7 II may fit the bill.  Auditioning as many of these different speakers is the best way to decide.  As with most speakers and audio gear, there will be pro's and con's of going any direction.

• 2 weeks later...

First off..Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here and some of it has already been given! I used that exact combo for a period of time and have to say it is pretty sweet. The MC225 is a great amplifier. FWIW I am not a huge fan of the vintage Mac preamps. I used the MX110 for a while and while it is nice it didn't deliver the detail that some of the newer preamps that I have owned do. That being said combining what you have with Klipsch Heritage is the ticket. I would choose based on your budget. Personally I used that Combo to great effect with cornwalls. Very efficient with great bass and they deliver at low moderate and high volume. If money is not an object and you were looking to buy new I would look at the new Forte 111 that is mentioned in the CES thread. Looks awesome. But used cornwalls of virtually any age will fit the bill!

Room treatments are important but in my experience they cannot make up for an inferior speaker - they can enhance a great speaker and take advantage of a great speaker but room treatments alone are not the answer. JMHO

On 12/27/2016 at 8:20 PM, claydo said:

I will gladly consider a larger speaker,  but my preference is for something floor standing, or smaller in case I move. Any and all advice welcome! THANKS!!!

On 12/27/2016 at 8:55 PM, jimjimbo said:

Right off the top, I'd go with a pair of Klipsch Heritage speakers, such as La Scala, Klipschorn

This put a smile on my face, great way to start the day....thanks Jim:D

A little creative editing can make any post funny.

Welcome Claydo, lot of good people and info around here.