Miniwatt Impressions

Bossman

So I recently aquired a new to me original Miniwatt tube amplifier. I know these have been around since 2013 or so, but being that I am new to tubes , it's  all new to me.. After reading a lot of good reviews online and seeing people using this mini tube amp with very expensive high end speakers, I was inclined to purchase one and see what all the hype was all about.. The original Miniwatt can be purchased for about $150 or so on fleabay. 

After initial setup and letting the tubes warm up for about 15 minutes I played some tunes from Norah Jones, Tracy Chapman, and Elton John, and wow this little booger can sing! A great little amplifier for $150. This is my second tube amp, as I thought my first tube amp was SET and turned out to be SEP Pentode... Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, this thing is a SET Triode right? The tubes used are:  6J1+6P1 . Does anyone have any experience with this amplifier? So far I'm loving it.

wdecho, thanks for all the helpfull info. The reason I am after a SET is because many people here on the forum recommend using a SET amp with Klipsch speakers. But like you said, as long as it sounds good to my ears (which it does), that's all that matters.. I just wanted to start this thread for those who are are the fence about trying tubes with Klipsch speakers. It is a great way to experience that tube sound on a low budget.. even at 3wpc, it has enough power to drive efficient Klipsch speakers with authority.

I tried a friends Miniwatt several years back, this newer three tube version using the EL84. While not a "true" single ended amp it sounded pretty darn good for what it is - a $200 tube amp. Tube output using a switching mode power supply. I believe I had Belles and/or Cornwalls at the time and ran them them well at moderate levels. While indeed you have three tubes a glowin' it may be a stretch to call this a true introduction to tubes and Klipsch. 

• Like 1

I have the second version (the one with two tubes.) It's a fun toy and has a better build quality than you'd expect!

The treble is the best part, though I get the impression that it's not much of a brute when it comes to current as it seems to really lack midrange. It plays best on my Heresies, and it's surprising how loud it can get! Distortion does start to set in at moderate levels, but it's fairly comfortable driving sensitive Klipsch speakers loudly.

It was a real mess on my KG 5.2s though, it could manage low bass better than you'd expect but overall the sound was glaringly bright. I swap it in now and then for fun, and to laud how well Klipsch speakers can play on so little power, but I do miss the midrange when I use it.

• Like 1

All of us don't use a SET.  I use a ultra linear push-pull amp.  It sounds good to my ear so, I am done.:)  The circus has left town, lol and not the only extra money is for tubes, which for the time being, I am done with also.  The ideal is to get something you are happy with.

• Like 1

I have 845 SET, 300B SET and EL-84 SEP amps. All sound excellent when matched to appropriate speakers . 

In my opinion, a good EL-84 SEP amp is a very cost effective way to explore the wonderful world of SE amps and High Efficiency speakers.

If the Mini-Watt sounds good to you, relax and enjoy the music. If the "audio disease" strikes and you find yourself looking for a new amp, there are other EL-84 SEP amps out there that are a definite step up.

If the disease really strikes, amps based on the 45, 2A3 and 300B SET tubes are plentiful as both finished and DIY.

• Like 1