LS II's - Not sounding as good as I thought

PeteVoxx

2 minutes ago, PeteVoxx said:

I don't like them whatsoever as they sound now.  I'm not trying to keep up with anyone's opinion.  Quite frankly, they sound like crap.  My SONOS Play5 has better tonal balance and dynamics.  

I was commenting on Aaron's post. You have a basis for direct comparison between your original LS and the LSIIs. So you have something to fix. I did not mean anyone was trying to keep up with opinions either. I phrased that poorly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, No.4 said:

I was commenting on Aaron's post. You have a basis for direct comparison between your original LS and the LSIIs. So you have something to fix. I did not mean anyone was trying to keep up with opinions either. I phrased that poorly.

Understood, thanks for clarifying ;)

1 minute ago, mark1101 said:

I was sort of hoping to come home from work and hear that he tried those AA networks.  :)

I believe this thread will take a turn once that happens.

I've only been home a short while myself.  Thought I had some spade connectors to make connections between the AA's and the LS II's drivers.  No such luck unfortunately.  I don't want to jerry-rig these things, either.  Hopefully I can get some tomorrow while at work and do the swap tomorrow evening.

I own a couple xo's for the LSii... the stock al-4's sound fine in my room with a good frontend but my room is not hard like OP's.

Room treatments couldn't hurt pete, hence my comment about the brick wall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AaronB123 said:

This whole thread makes me kinda nervous as to weather maybe my K horns aren't as good as I think they are either. I think they sound good but I'm no expert. Anyone here with new K horns care to Share your thoughts?

Talk about things getting crazy out of hand...!!!!!  Good Grief:wacko2:  Now we have a new KHorn owner wondering if his sounds as good as he thinks they do..!!!

AaronB123 a room and/or setup can make or break any loudspeaker's reproduction and I promise you they have far more influence overall than any production variations over the last few decades of the Klipschorn or any other heritage model for that matter. I've had my Klipschorns, Jubilees, LaScalas, Belle Klipschs, Heresy II, Chorus, and KPT 904 (With K402/HF Grand HF) in multiple rooms and any of these systems can sound like crap or magical depending on how well the room/setup was brought into balance with the loudspeakers and listener locations.

We now have 10 pages of pure speculation with no one except the OP having any first hand experience/knowledge of what he is experiencing.

The logical and common sense thing to do at this point is if the OP is interested in continuing to try to find out what is causing the issues he is experiencing would be to wait for the crossovers to arrive and then see what the results are at that point and then work with his dealer and Klipsch.

As far as warranty issues give me a break.... if they are willing to send him the networks and he is comfortable in replacing them then why should anyone think warranty might be voided.  Changing networks isn't rocket science..!!!

I also want to say that I have owned LaScala from the late 80's and have heard the LaScala II on several occasions over several years and IMHO they sounded excellent and were definitely superior versus the original in LF clarity due to the cabinet and crossover improvements of the LaScala II....

While I don't know if Roy/Klipsch can resolve this to the OP's satisfaction I wish him the best.

miketn

• Like 6

LF isn't the problem here at all, mid output is.  Hopefully I just got out of spec nets for whatever reason.  My 78's have replaced Sonicaps that are AA spec.  Fingers are crossed the nets Roy sends resolve the issue.

55 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I also want to say that I have owned LaScala from the late 80's and have heard the LaScala II on several occasions over several years and

IMHO they sounded excellent and were definitely superior versus the original

in LF clarity due to the cabinet and crossover improvements of the LaScala II....

Trust me when I say, that is what we ALL want to hear.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Schu said:

I dont have high confidence that the networks are bad, But lets hope so .

I AM hoping... and, when buying cheap components in bulk from overseas, anything's possible.  I was surprised while looking at the OEM networks that the components have no names!  My fear is that there are many pairs out there like mine but their owners did not have anything to compare them to and don't know they're not performing as designed.

2 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

This whole thread makes me kinda nervous as to weather maybe my K horns aren't as good as I think they are either. I think they sound good but I'm no expert. Anyone here with new K horns care to Share your thoughts?

Mine are very slightly different, mostly cosmetically.  I installed the Klipsch stock upgrades in about 2006.  The woofer, mid horn and mid driver are the same.  The tweeters (K77F) are almost the same; mine use a special bracket to front mount them, and yours have the front mounting hardware as part of the K77, making it the K77D, I believe.  The only difference in the crossover is one resistor, which compensates for your newer wall seal.

In the case of most recordings I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between my original Khorns, and the upgraded ones.

Some recordings I had relegated to the junk bin, because they sounded bad, now sound fairly good to very good.

In the case of movies, Amadeus and several others never sounded so good as they do now on my upgraded Khorns. 

I determined the above without Audyssey (and lived without it for a few years)..  Then I got a new pre-pro, ABd it against the old one (the same, except the new one has a lower noise floor), and.ran Audyssey and found that Audyssey makes my Khorns sound even better.  The room is 4,250 cu.ft., and we sit 13.75 feet from the front wall.  A very few older magnetic soundtrack movies that have treble that is too hot, and bass that is a little weak (e.g., How the West Was Won) sound better with Audyssey Reference (incorporating a treble rolloff) rather than Audyssey FLAT -- otherwise, I use Audyssey FLAT.  I never use DEQ, but I playback about 5 dB below calibrated reference level. 

19 minutes ago, PeteVoxx said:

I AM hoping... and, when buying cheap components in bulk from overseas, anything's possible.  I was surprised while looking at the OEM networks that the components have no names!  

Here is a CF-3 XO. 20 years old.  It has the distinctive all-yellow colored caps exactly the same color as the ones in your picture.  These yellow caps are all imprinted "Mexico."

CF-3 XO med res IMG_4384.JPG

Shu's pic is below.

28190331484_1c2964c646_o.jpg

• Like 1

Mine didn't say Mexico... not that if they had it woukd make me feel any better as they're not a brand I've heard of.  A high priced speaker like the LS should have high end internals & components throughout.  Just as my German-made premium SUV has some of the best available brakes (Six-piston Brembo calipers) but doesn't advertise them.  It's just expected that it would.  

16 minutes ago, PeteVoxx said:

Mine didn't say Mexico... not that if they had it woukd make me feel any better as they're not a brand I've heard of.  A high priced speaker like the LS should have high end internals & components throughout.  .  

@BEC has us all chanting "low ESR...low ESR..."  :rolleyes:

+++

It could be these caps are OEM only and they don't market them to retail, I really don't know.  Maybe Bob will weigh in and tell us if the OEM caps are from Mexico, and if they are of high quality and spec out well.

+++

I found a pic from a different angle.  It appears as if the caps are also embossed with "TI."

IMG_4390.JPG

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dawson's Ridge said:

I think his wife has offered the best response thus far. (God forbid she ever hears a Jubilee or Palladium.)

Good chance 402s are coming soon with a Jub bass bin.  I will probably be searching here for bass bin plans to build myself for aesthetic appeal/WAF :)

30 minutes ago, Schu said:

I would think a weak component inthe circuit would more clearly show up in a frequency sweep... just like what is done at the factory before shipment.  

Was it roys idea to replace the XO with a new one?

I would suspect the same but what we don't know is after a failed sweep, is there clear indication of failure or is this something that must be detected by a human looking at a graph to see it's out of spec.  Used to be that two individuals hand-signed these and other models.  Now, just one person signs the sticker and in actuality, this individual just prints it out with their electronic signature already there.

And the jackass award goes to... ME!  There were enough posts here to cause me to stay up WAY later than normal, rack my brain and second guess myself (thank GOD).  Ultimately, I did a factory reset of my AVR, skipped Audyssey and manually set the EQ for all channels.  They seem to sound more on-par with my 78's.  I don't get it because I've got those same frequencies Audyssey had set at +6Db no higher than 4Db and yet those frequencies are so much more present than before.  Also, I've never had a problem using Audyssey; not with any speakers I've had using all the same equipment in the same room.  Again, I thank ALL of you for your input, advice and patience.  Too late for a drink now.  Tomorrow we'll celebrate!!!  

• Like 3