LS II's - Not sounding as good as I thought

PeteVoxx

25 minutes ago, Schu said:

Your networks should look like these28190331484_1c2964c646_o.jpg

They are hardwired so really there is little to be messed with except the individual speaker connections.

I still say it's the processing.

Great googly moogly, those look almost as complicated as ALK's extreme slopes.

9 hours ago, Quiet_Hollow said:

Aside from the usual suspects upstream of the speakers themselves, how about blown tweeters? :ph34r:

Nothing wonky upstream of the speakers as 3 other sets of speakers sound just fine; including brand new CW III's.  Tweeters are functional as are the mids.  It just seems the sound coming from these two (becomes extremely apparent when the bass cabs are disconnected) are sub-par and not at all heritage series level.

6 hours ago, babadono said:

Great googly moogly, those look almost as complicated as ALK's extreme slopes.

It's not my processor.  The sound from 3 other pairs of speakers sound fine including a brand new set of CW III's.  If I set it to pure direct they sound awful.

11 minutes ago, PeteVoxx said:

Only the LS II's sound awful on pure direct; not the others.  

Then there's something jacked up with your LS2's.  They should sound fantastic on pure-direct and get better from there as you apply room correction etc.  Were you able to open them up and take a look-see?

So your saying you took back off and checked wires??? You could also check the drivers if have OHM meter. I cant believe these got past the sound check at Klipsch in this condition. But people do have bad days.

When we were there they checked each Heresy on a sound sweep before it went out the door.

I hope we get this figured out pretty soon. Sorry your having trouble with these.

7 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

Then there's something jacked up with your LS2's.  They should sound fantastic on pure-direct and get better from there as you apply room correction etc.  Were you able to open them up and take a look-see?

Popped the back off of one and all was wired correctly.

7 minutes ago, ricktate said:

So your saying you took back off and checked wires??? You could also check the drivers if have OHM meter. I cant believe these got past the sound check at Klipsch in this condition. But people do have bad days.

When we were there they checked each Heresy on a sound sweep before it went out the door.

I hope we get this figured out pretty soon. Sorry your having trouble with these.

Yes, all wires were ran to the correct driver and terminal.  I'm sure they were tested, but I don't know specifically what that entails.  For instance, does it alert the tester if any of the drivers are out of spec?  Is the output displayed on a screen and is it left to a human to interpret these results and pass or fail each unit?  My older Klipsch's are all hand-signed by an inspector and tester.  Now, there's just a "tested by" sticker on the back and it is no longer hand-signed but printed out by laser printer and simply stuck to the back of the speaker. The tester's name is barely legible.  Not that it should have an impact on quality control, but I think it does.  Someone in a group on Facebook got a brand new pair of 70th anniversary Khorns and the logo (which is only glued on) was not in the correct position.  Another member had some cosmetic issues with a palladium center channel and the replacement ALSO had issues.  I don't mean to bellyache here, just that it seems they should re-evaluate their quality control.  These are high priced speakers and they're starting to tarnish their reputation.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

Ok good.  What about popping off the cane grill in the front?  If I drive over and find packing material stuffed down the throat of the squawker, I'm going to make you listen to the complete Kenny-G collection as a penalty :-)

I WISH there was something stuck in there!  LOL - I can see the screen at the driver's throat :)  If only a Styrofoam peanut would've been stuck in the horn... that would've been a glorious find!!! 

7 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

I'm running out of ideas.  Do frequency sweeps sound continuous and somewhat normal compared to your CW3s?  No gaps or missing frequencies?

I haven't done sweeps, but doing a/b comparison between the two speakers with the same source, there is definitely something missing.  I have tried different genres of music; both live and studio recordings.  All of which produce the same result.

2 minutes ago, USNRET said:

When do you expect to receive the new networks?

Roy from Klipsch is back from vacation starting next week.  HOPING they show up that same week (fingers crossed).  He wants to personally test them prior to sending them out to me.

• Like 2

Pete Voxx is obviously a sophisticated user who has good equipment and other Klipsch speakers.  He knows what they should sound like.

He has tried everything that has been asked of him, except for the crossovers Klipsch is sending him.  These speakers don't work.

If the new crossovers don't solve the problem Klipsch needs to take care of this.  Frankly, they should have already. 

How would you like to pull the wheels off your brand new car by yourself and have the company send you some new calipers because the brakes don't work?

• Like 1

Roy knows slightly more than us about speakers :-)  In the meantime, it might be worth downloading REW (free software) to your laptop and running a few test sweeps to see what exactly is missing.  There are other free test tone generators out there too.