LS II's - Not sounding as good as I thought

PeteVoxx

7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Pete Voxx is obviously a sophisticated user who has good equipment and other Klipsch speakers.  He has tried everything that has been asked of him, except for the crossovers Klipsch is sending him.  These speakers don't work.

If the new crossovers don't solve the problem Klipsch needs to take care of this.  Frankly, they should have already. 

How would you like to pull the wheels off your brand new car by yourself and have the company send you some new calipers because the brakes don't work?

Thanks!  and I do feel they should just send me new top hats fully tested & assembled.  As well, they should pay the return shipping for the ones I have.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeteVoxx said:

It's not my processor.  The sound from 3 other pairs of speakers sound fine including a brand new set of CW III's.  If I set it to pure direct they sound awful.

Pete, I was referring to the complexity/number of parts in the crossover. That's all:)

4 minutes ago, babadono said:

Pete, I was referring to the complexity/number of parts in the crossover. That's all:)

Gotcha - I saw "processing" so I immediately thought you meant my pre/pro... I know some folks once they see "Marantz" they're like "crap" LOL

OK so Roy is going to personally check out the replacement crossovers before they are sent to you. Is that Roy Delgado?

If this turns out to be the problem it sounds like Klipsch is already hot on the trail to figure out how a bad crossover got out of the plant. Like I said in a previous post "Stuff happens". It could be a bad component(s) or cold solder/broken solder joint on the boards. But I'm getting ahead of myself. You'll have to wait and see what the new crossovers do.

4 minutes ago, babadono said:

OK so Roy is going to personally check out the replacement crossovers before they are sent to you. Is that Roy Delgado?

If this turns out to be the problem it sounds like Klipsch is already hot on the trail to figure out how a bad crossover got out of the plant. Like I said in a previous post "Stuff happens". It could be a bad component(s) or cold solder/broken solder joint on the boards. But I'm getting ahead of myself. You'll have to wait and see what the new crossovers do.

Yep, Roy Delgado.  From what I know, they buy the crossovers already assembled from a third party.  Just wondering if there are more with this "problem" and folks don't have anything to compare 'em to and therefore don't know their speakers are not producing the sound they should.  Hmm...;)

3 minutes ago, babadono said:

Hmmm.. Could even be the wrong component stuffed in the wrong place on the boards or swapped components. If you have the originals and the replacements do a close visual inspection. Just my $0.02

I noticed on the Xover that there are two part numbers with only one checked.  They must use the same board and I would think visually, they are similar.  Hoping they just put the wrong network in my pair.

24 minutes ago, babadono said:

Image result for alrighty then

That's a little too far for me:) By about 2900 miles.

Here's a video I shot with the bass cabs disconnected.  To get a better idea of the sound, I suggest playing on decent speakers or headphones :)  Sorry, I left the sub on.  You may be able to hear a subtle thumping bass line.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h38zco0vpshj99s/File Dec 30%2C 1 11 52 PM.mov?dl=0

• Like 1

That sounds like an ice cream truck!  :-)  What did you use to record it?  At first I thought it could be the mic, but when I play that song from iTunes through the same speakers and compare it your your soundtrack, yours has an echo/reverb quality to it.  Like you're playing a transistor radio in a sewer.  To really nail this down, if you recorded that same song with the same gear playing through your CW3's, I'm assuming it would sound a lot better?

39 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

That sounds like an ice cream truck!  :-)  What did you use to record it?  At first I thought it could be the mic, but when I play that song from iTunes through the same speakers and compare it your your soundtrack, yours has an echo/reverb quality to it.  Like you're playing a transistor radio in a sewer.  To really nail this down, if you recorded that same song with the same gear playing through your CW3's, I'm assuming it would sound a lot better?

I recorded it from my iPhone.  And, THAT is what it sounds like in-person!  I will do some comparison recordings tonight and upload.  

OHHH MYYY that does sound wrong huh. I hope Roy gets on top of this......this could be a disaster if other speakers got out like these. I agree the inspection should be hand signed and the Heresys we watched went through a computer display like a.. go- no go   deal I assume... I did not get close to the area where they did it.

Did you order direct from Klipsch or a dealer ? Should not matter but dealer should take these back.