LS II's - Not sounding as good as I thought

PeteVoxx

4 minutes ago, ricktate said:

OHHH MYYY that does sound wrong huh. I hope Roy gets on top of this......this could be a disaster if other speakers got out like these. I agree the inspection should be hand signed and the Heresys we watched went through a computer display like a.. go- no go   deal I assume... I did not get close to the area where they did it.

Did you order direct from Klipsch or a dealer ? Should not matter but dealer should take these back.  

Keep in mind that the shitty sound is exaggerated because the bass bins are not contributing/cancelling out some of what you're hearing.  They sound a bit "better" when the bass cabs are connected.  I ordered them directly from Klipsch.  

You've cot a set of crossovers coming.  The speakers sound like crap so you're obviously not enjoying any quality listening time with them.  I don't see why you haven't scattered them yet.  You might find the problem before your crossovers get to you and get to enjoy them that much sooner.  Worst case scenario is that the speakers will be ready for the new parts as soon as you get them.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You've cot a set of crossovers coming.  The speakers sound like crap so you're obviously not enjoying any quality listening time with them.  I don't see why you haven't scattered them yet.  You might find the problem before your crossovers get to you and get to enjoy them that much sooner.  Worst case scenario is that the speakers will be ready for the new parts as soon as you get them.

I did some troubleshooting and can't go any further without swapping the networks or drivers.  I have pulled a pair of CW3's next to them so at least I can get some quality sound in that room that I use the most until the new nets arrive.CW3.jpg

What's the problem?  Those sound fine to me!  :D

Not.  :o

Not in a million years.  Yuch. 

+++

It's the crossovers.  I'm staying with my guess that the HF and the Mids are somehow reversed at the board or component level.  Guess number two goes with Pete's idea that these might actually be the wrong crossovers, that the boards got mis-labeled.

The new crossovers from Roy can't get here soon enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeteVoxx said:

Roy from Klipsch is back from vacation starting next week.  HOPING they show up that same week (fingers crossed).  He wants to personally test them prior to sending them out to me.

That's great!  Roy Delgado, right?   I'm glad Roy will do that.  Roy is the man.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

16 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

What's the problem?  Those sound fine to me!  :D

Not.  :o

Not in a million years.  Yuch. 

+++

It's the crossovers.  I'm staying with my guess that the HF and the Mids are somehow reversed at the board or component level.  Guess number two goes with Pete's idea that these might actually be the wrong crossovers, that the boards got mis-labeled.

The new crossovers from Roy can't get here soon enough.

Per the labeling on the board, they're wired "properly"... hoping it's something at the component level OR just the wrong nets for the LS II's and the drivers are getting incompatible frequencies sent to them.

15 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Did you compare wiring from the terminals to the drivers at each speaker to see if they were identical?

The networks are clearly labeled as MID and TWEET (or something along those lines) - They were going to those specific drivers and polarity was as it should be as well.

3 hours ago, PeteVoxx said:

Here's a video I shot with the bass cabs disconnected.  To get a better idea of the sound, I suggest playing on decent speakers or headphones :)  Sorry, I left the sub on.  You may be able to hear a subtle thumping bass line.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h38zco0vpshj99s/File Dec 30%2C 1 11 52 PM.mov?dl=0

Sorry your having issues PeteVoxx.

As a few have already commentated you simply cannot disconnect the LF section and expect to hear anything close to natural/normal.

I have active bi-amped Jubilee/K402 systems and it's as simple as pushing a button on the EV DC-One to hear just the LF or HF by themselves and neither sounds remotely like a high quality loudspeaker but combine them and all is well and sounds normal.

Best thing to do is work with Roy and let him help you find the problem.

miketn

13 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Sorry your having issues PeteVoxx.

As a few have already commentated you simply cannot disconnect the LF section and expect to hear anything close to natural/normal.

I have active bi-amped Jubilee/K402 systems and it's as simple as pushing a button on the EV DC-One to hear just the LF or HF by themselves and neither sounds remotely like a high quality loudspeaker but combine them and all is well and sounds normal.

Best thing to do is work with Roy and let him help you find the problem.

miketn

I hear ya, but if you listen to my video you will hear that it IS horrendous without the bass cabs.  I am seriously considering the setup you have.  I just need to figure out what I will build to conceal those massive horns.  I was thinking custom built-ins and then acoustically transparent, vintage-style grill cloth in front.  I will keep this post updated with any developments/resolutions going forward.  Thanks for your input, Mike!

If you disconnect ANY of the drivers - it's bound to sound "terrible". You should be terminating the network with resistors when you do that. For example, if you disconnect the tweeter, you should be connecting an 8 ohm resistor in its place to ensure reasonable behavior from your network as it relates to the other drivers.

Seriously, your job right now is simply to determine whether or not any of drivers are non-operational. You need a multimeter - and learn how to use it. We could then help you troubleshoot the problem in short order.  

You could also pay for my plane ticket - I'd be happy to get you through this with a minimal of pain. I love NY. :-)

I'll check Jet Blue fares, LOL 

I was simply disconnecting the bridge wires connecting the two sets of binding posts.  These are designed for bi-amping so wouldn't the required inline resistors be there?

I did another amateurish A/B comparison.  My pre/pro was on pure direct and bass & treble flat from my Sonos connect.  I used Deezer playing FLAC file.  Keep in mind the ipad I used is 5 years old so the audio quality is not very good.  However, played through a decent pair of headphones the difference is obvious.

LSII's

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ulg1g58n2cit26/LS II Demo.mov?dl=0

CW3's

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzq4bdef56414pf/CW3 Demo.mov?dl=0

Hopefully, you'll hear that there's something missing, too.

Thanks for listening :)

Well, after a rum or 2 here I go. I listened to the two recordings.
That is exactly why I did not / do not like LaScalas. Yea, most say that LaScalas and Belles sound the same and to MY ears that just isn't so. I have owned both connected to the same source. LaScalas SCREAM at me where the Belles are more laid back but in my opinion needed a bit more tempering so I modded / tuned to my liking.

Perhaps I should look at another brand.

14 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Well, after a rum or 2 here I go. I listened to the two recordings.
That is exactly why I did not / do not like LaScalas. Yea, most say that LaScalas and Belles sound the same and to MY ears that just isn't so. I have owned both connected to the same source. LaScalas SCREAM at me where the Belles are a more laid back but in my opinion needed a bit more tempering so I modded / tuned to my liking.

There's no way that's the way they should sound.  Literally, musical information is missing.  I'll send these things back if that's how they're going to sound... ugh :blink:

I like the LS2's better between the two.  Tough to tell with the recording though.  I can hear a stronger bottom-end with the CW3s.  That's expected.  Midrange sounds fuller on the LS2's.  I don't hear anything missing from either.  The LS2's could probably benefit from some room treatments and/or play around with positioning.

Maybe your LS2's are fine and you're just used to the more forward presentation of the CW3s and your old 78 LS's?  I know with my H3's, the midrange is hotter than than on my LS2's.

• Like 1