LS II's - Not sounding as good as I thought

PeteVoxx

12 minutes ago, Schu said:

No they are not... the leads are hardwired to the network, but the driver connections are press fit.

I've gone back the the AL4 from my custom AA because the midst are slightly hot. I will modify the AA and try  them again.

Sounds like you are in the same situation i was in with the type A 4500 networks i built, a little experimentation goes a long way to the road toward happiness.

1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

I don't want to bash Klipsch to badly here but I think the OP is describing their sound perfectly.

This is inconceivable that the speakers sound this bad right out of the factory and somebody there thinks the sound is OK. 

Klipsch Inc knows speakers and good sound for nearly 3/4 century.  So do you guys and you heard that recording, the sound was awful.  I've heard speakers recorded for playback via Youtube, I can tell good sound from bad.  The sound Pete played was just plain awful.

• It's possible it's the room but highly unlikely.
  • It's possible it's the amps etc but unlikely
  • It's possible the speakers are playing normally
  • It's probable there is something wrong in the crossovers
  • If the new crossovers don't fix the thin sound, it's almost certain the speakers are going back

• Like 2

It is true.  I wasn't happy with their sound.  I used more than one setup....and basically they got to the point of not being played that much.  I don't really want to post a whole lot about it but it is reasonable to think the OP WON'T find a way to like them.  McIntosh stuff including a JMA preamp and MC275's used in setup and 6K DAC with $12,000 Mcintosh monoblocks.

I had 80's la scalas there in the same spot, and bunch homemade stuff, Cornwall 1.5, Mcintosh speakers, KG5.2's, Cornscalas....  

I've had a buttload of Klipsch, the LSII wasn't for me.

I after trial and error, I would support this fella exchanging for a different klipsch.

mc1201-1.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwc said:

It is true.  I wasn't happy with their sound.

I totally trust your judgement, as I do Pete Voxx.  Since I have owned 1978 LS which sounded great, your conclusions regarding the bad sounds of brand new, fully functioning LS II's are stunning, almost incomprehensible.  How could a great sounding speaker be made worse in a modern version?

I don't think Klipsch, Inc owes me an explanation.  It's their speaker, their company and their reputation that is on the line.  I do think Klipsch, Inc owes it to Mr. Voxx to provide a LS with the sound that made the company famous, or make it right with him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

This is inconceivable that the speakers sound this bad right out of the factory and somebody there thinks the sound is OK. 

Klipsch Inc knows speakers and good sound for nearly 3/4 century.  So do you guys and you heard that recording, the sound was awful.  I've heard speakers recorded for playback via Youtube, I can tell good sound from bad.  The sound Pete played was just plain awful.

• It's possible it's the room but highly unlikely.
  • It's possible it's the amps etc but unlikely
  • It's possible the speakers are playing normally
  • It's probable there is something wrong in the crossovers
  • If the new crossovers don't fix the thin sound, it's almost certain the speakers are going back

Well I'm not sure if your part of the facebook Klipsch owners group but one of the people that test the speakers said they don't actually play music through them they just do a frequency sweep so it's pretty easy to see how something like this could have slipped under the radar. 

Another thing I thought about and mentioned in the facebook thread was that it could be possible that they aren't broken in yet but I believe OP said he's had them for a month or more. I know when I first got my K-horns I wasn't too happy with how they sounded compared to my La Scala's and even made a thread about perhaps needing to upgrade my AVR/AMP but I have to say as time has passed they are really starting to open up and amaze me like I knew they should! 

When I first got them though, the sound was pretty shrill, thin and NOTHING like my 88 La Scala's but thankfully that has changed. 

Another thing worth mentioning though is when I first got my Chorus's I set them up in my room and they sounded fantastic but I for some reason had the bright idea to re arrange my room and completely move the speakers against another wall and it made it sound absolutely so god awful, basically just like your situation it sounded like the whole lower end of the frequency range had been wiped out. It was so bad in fact, I stayed up basically all night putting everything back the way it was. I know you said the old ones were arranged the exact same way in the room and sounded amazing but perhaps these just don't agree with that room. 

I know they use different/updated drivers now compared to then, maybe they are interacting with the room differently.  I'm certainly no expert just stating my past experiences. I really hope the new crossovers make a difference, can't wait to hear how it goes. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

Well I'm not sure if your part of the facebook Klipsch owners group but one of the people that test the speakers said they don't actually play music through them they just do a frequency sweep so it's pretty easy to see how something like this could have slipped under the radar. 

No, I'm not a member of the Klipsch FB group.

If you think you might understand what is going on with Pete's speakers you have a better idea than I do.  I like to think I'm a pretty good troubleshooter within my limited knowledge and experience, but this one is completely baffling to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwc said:

It is true.  I wasn't happy with their sound.  I used more than one setup....and basically they got to the point of not being played that much.  I don't really want to post a whole lot about it but it is reasonable to think the OP WON'T find a way to like them.  McIntosh stuff including a JMA preamp and MC275's used in setup and 6K DAC with $12,000 Mcintosh monoblocks.

I had 80's la scalas there in the same spot, and bunch homemade stuff, Cornwall 1.5, Mcintosh speakers, KG5.2's, Cornscalas....  

I after trial and error, I would support this fella exchanging for a different klipsch.

mc1201-1.jpg

How do you get into and out of that door on the right ???

Coming to think of it, the one on the left opens into this room right ? How do you get out that door too then ??

Thanks.

Srinath.

• Like 2

Just now, Srinath said:

Coming to think of it, the one on the left opens into this room right ? How doe you get out that door too then ??

Thanks.

Srinath.

I was wondering that too but the smaller door looks like it could be a closet. Other door may be a secondary entrance. 

49 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

I'm very curious as to how this turns out. I saw you posted about this on the facebook group too. When are the new crossover's due to arrive, have they shipped them out yet? 

I am hoping this week they'll arrive however, I have not heard back from Roy.  He was on vacation for Xmas & New Year holiday.  I assumed today was his first day back and would also assume it was the proverbial shit show upon his arrival to work.  I have been tempted to try one of the nets from my '78s... I still may and will update the group if I do.  There were a lot of responses since I left this post on New Year's Eve and I appreciate every one of them; someone mentioned they felt LS II's sounded "dry" and YES, that is an excellent description.  Still, for the life of me, I cannot believe someone OK'd this set up and thinks they sound good.  If they weren't in such an impressive package and were just rectangular, direct radiating floor standers, you wouldn't give these things a second listen... not for ANY price never mind their retail of $8K for the pair!  Stay tuned, folks :)

55 minutes ago, Srinath said:

Coming to think of it, the one on the left opens into this room right ? How do you get out that door too then ??

Thanks.

Srinath.

3 hours ago, jwc said:

mc1201-1.jpg

Love that set up!  What year are those LS's and what crossovers are you running?  I was thinking I could have Klipsch tweak my nets to be identical to my '78's but then was informed they buy their networks already built so I guess that won't happen.  

34 minutes ago, Schu said:

dungeon_red_room_3.jpg

You know Schu, I'll bet your speakers sound really horrible in that room.

But I must say, you are to be commended on the forethought to have a fire extinguisher and medical cabinet handy.....Good thinkin'!! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PeteVoxx said:

have been tempted to try one of the nets from my '78s... I still may and will update the group if I do.  

You've gone through so much hassle considering these are brand new NOT CHEAP speakers!

As much as I'd love to hear your impressions of the speakers with the 1978 XO's, you would be wise not to do anything which might void your warranty.  I think your next step is to wait for the XO's from Roy.

(what you do privately and don't tell us about is your business)

• Like 1