LS II's - Not sounding as good as I thought

PeteVoxx

I am assuming from casually following this thread that you indeed still have your original LS? If so, and if I suspected the networks were to blame I would start by swapping them. It does not look like the new version has the barrier strip like the old ones, however this might be a good time to make an "adapter harness" for the LSII. You could easily connect your old networks or most of the other versions I have seen utilizing the barrier strip. I hope this works out for you.

edit: didn't think about a warranty issue. Good call.

i won't tell if you dont:)

• Like 1

I don't know don't you think when the new networks arrive  switching those out could void the warranty just the same as trying the networks from the 78's? I'd personally do it and see how it is. As long as your careful no one would ever be able to tell you did anything. 

• Like 1

Just now, AaronB123 said:

I don't know don't you think when the new networks arrive  switching those out could void the warranty just the same as trying the networks from the 78's? I'd personally do it and see how it is. As long as your careful no one would ever be able to tell you did anything. 

They already know he's swapping networks so screwdriver or wrench marks are a non issue I'd imagine.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jwc said:

Of course....try new nets from Klipsch.   I never removed the back of my LSIIs......never saw what the guts look like.

So you held on to them even though you were never happy with their sound?  And now you have them hooked up to those awesome Mac monos?  

• Like 1

This is very discerning that 2 people have bought brand new La Scala's and neither thought they sounded that good. Perhaps that's why when I was on my quest for K-horns many people said the older the better. Anyone else that bought newer generation La Scala's want to share their experience? I know @Lost240 had a pair that he didn't seem to hold on to for that long. I think they were the latest generation too. Would you care to tell us how your experience was with them? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

This is very discerning that 2 people have bought brand new La Scala's and neither thought they sounded that good. Perhaps that's why when I was on my quest for K-horns many people said the older the better. Anyone else that bought newer generation La Scala's want to share their experience? I know @Lost240 had a pair that he didn't seem to hold on to for that long. I think they were the latest generation too. Would you care to tell us how your experience was with them? 

Wondering if there are many who may have bought the new ones with nothing to compare to.  Possibly those with deep pockets and wanted a pretty speaker and just assumed they'd be top notch sound producers when in reality they should be.  My point is that maybe there IS something wrong with the components on the networks themselves which Klipsch buys from a third party.

35 minutes ago, PeteVoxx said:

So you held on to them even though you were never happy with their sound?  And now you have them hooked up to those awesome Mac monos?  

No sir.  Kept them a couple of years, then let them go.

• Like 1

I currently own LS2's and H3's.  Different rooms.  McIntosh amps.  Both have subs.  Comparing the two, the H3's have a more forward midrange.  The LS2 midrange is recessed but smoother and a bigger sound.  Maybe tomorrow I'll carry my H3's downstairs and hook them up to the same system to compare directly vs the LS2's.  Both speakers are much better than my previous KEFs and Sonus Fabers, but I don't have broad exposure to lots of speakers.

On my LS2's, I've been back-n-forth between the original K77s and CT120 tweets several times.  My current preference is the CT120 but this is just a personal taste issue - I was very happy with the K77s too.

If there was something inherently 'wrong' or 'sub-par' with the midrange on the LS2's, wouldn't the same apply to the K-horns?  Isn't everything the same between the LS2 and K-horn above 450hz?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

This whole thread makes me kinda nervous as to weather maybe my K horns aren't as good as I think they are either. I think they sound good but I'm no expert. Anyone here with new K horns care to Share your thoughts?

Wondering what you had prior to the Khorns?

6 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

I currently own LS2's and H3's.  Different rooms.  McIntosh amps.  Both have subs.  Comparing the two, the H3's have a more forward midrange.  The LS2 midrange is recessed but smoother and a bigger sound.  Maybe tomorrow I'll carry my H3's downstairs and hook them up to the same system to compare directly vs the LS2's.  Both speakers are much better than my previous KEFs and Sonus Fabers, but I don't have broad exposure to lots of speakers.

On my LS2's, I've been back-n-forth between the original K77s and CT120 tweets several times.  My current preference is the CT120 but this is just a personal taste issue - I was very happy with the K77s too.

If there was something inherently 'wrong' or 'sub-par' with the midrange on the LS2's, wouldn't the same apply to the K-horns?  Isn't everything the same between the LS2 and K-horn above 450hz?

I believe the drivers are the same but I don't know if it's the same Xover.  The Khorns go much lower and may require different attenuation for the mid & HF horns (guessing here) Maybe someone who knows will advise.

Just now, PeteVoxx said:

I believe the drivers are the same but I don't know if it's the same Xover.  The Khorns go much lower and may require different attenuation for the mid & HF horns (guessing here) Maybe someone who knows will advise.

Have you heard the earlier La Scalas or any other vintage heritage stuff?

1 hour ago, AaronB123 said:

Two people that were owners of previous versions of lascalas and also other models of Klipsch.  These guys had references to be able to make the comments you see here.  I think this is a very important point.

I am impressed with the OP in this thread that he never backed down about where the problem was (in the speakers).....never doubted his room and setup, his other equipment.  He had references.  He knew and it was obvious to him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

I agree the midrange IS "recessed" but with my EQ at +6Db for the higher frequencies, and with the capability of that horn/driver combo, the mids and highs should be very "front & center" instead, they remain flat, dry and almost non existent.  

16 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

This whole thread makes me kinda nervous as to weather maybe my K horns aren't as good as I think they are either. I think they sound good but I'm no expert. Anyone here with new K horns care to Share your thoughts?

I think the most important thing is that you like them. You can drive yourself nuts trying to keep up with internet opinions. At the end of the day you are the one enjoying these. If you like them, enjoy them. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

I am impressed with the OP in this thread that he never backed down about where the problem was (in the speakers).....never doubted his room and setup, his other equipment.  He had references.  He knew and it was obvious to him.

Agree.  He wasn't some newbie upgrading from his Bose Acoustimass, he has a solid background with Klipsch, how to power them, how to set them up, and he knew right away the sound wasn't right.  He came here for a second opinion and contacted Klipsch directly for help. 

I don't know what more the man could have done that he hasn't already done. 

• Like 3