R-26F system or modified RP-250?

Critiqal

Hi guys, I am european newbie on this forum and also newbie in the world of Klipsch :) To this day I had Onkyo home theater for about 500$. I decided to look for a better home theater system and when I saw Klipsch, I fell in love with the design :)

I would like to ask what do you think about this setup? 
Front: Klipsch RP-250F 
Center: Klipsch RP-250C
Subwoofer: Klipsch R-10SW  
Surround: Klipsch R-14S 

The thing is, RP-250 should come with RP-440C center and R-112SW subwoofer, but I don't have enough money to buy them. Actually to this day I was decided to go with lower Refference setup R-26F ( R-26F,  R-25C, R-14S and  R-10SW), but since I read many recommendations to go at least with Reference Premiere, I thought about it and this is the result, but I don't know if it will be ok? Or are the RP-250F and RP-250C simply too much for R-10SW and R-14S and I should go with R-26F setup which will probably be ok for me. My room is smaller (20x15 feet) and I will watch cable TV and movies most of the time and definately not loud, because I got two kids (4 months old and 2 years old), who usually sleeps when I watch TV. So my goal is to watch movies with good and clear sound as possible, but in decent volume level :)
Thank for any advice!

Edited by Critiqal

OK the important thing here is you don't have to buy everything at once, although I know it's tempting.

Better to buy quality items you'll keep than exchange them frequently to upgrade.

The RP series is better than the R series.   I have both, I am sure of it.

That said you can get either and be happy.

If you want to get the "right" stuff the first time, get the RP fronts, an RP center.  That's the most important part.

What you want for surrounds is purely optional.  The bipolars with speakers on 2 sides are superior imo but both work great (I have both).

The weak link of your possibilities is the sub.  Here's why -- the sub is rated to go down to just about the same HZ -- around 35, as the front speakers.

So having a sub in that case will take some load off the fronts, but won't give you much of a difference in sound -- it won't go lower, it will just be louder, if you want.

So don't buy the R-10SW.  I had one for a year, and just sold it.

As for the centers yes the 440C is longer but it not rated all that much better.  It has four 4" speakers vs 2 5" speakers in the R250C.

I'd personally recommend either the RP250C, or the RP450C, not the 440C, only because I think the 440C and 250C are about the same.

Because you don't want loud low bass and don't plan to crank it, I would do this --

RP-250F fronts

RP-250C center

Surrounds:  I would strongly prefer a pair of RS-42s used over the R-14s, but the R-14s are fine too.

Another inexpensive option is a pair of bookshelf speakers, a used pair of RB51s is a inexpensive choice.  

Subwoofer:   If you buy a subwoofer, you want one that goes lower than what your front speakers can do, which would be 35hz.  Realizing you don't need loud or super low frqeuencies, any decent sub could do the job here.  Cheap but better options are avaiable through parts-express, which offers a ready to go 12" and 15" sub which both will do what you want nicely for a low cost (15" is $175).   The next step up from there imo would be an SVS SB-12NSD which is on sale through Amazon for $399.  A big upgrade from the parts-express one, and plenty for your needs (good SPL and real response down to the low 20s).  The Klipsch R-10SW would be good in a situation where you use bookshelf or satellite speakers that work down to only the 60s at best if not higher.  

RP-250F

RP-250C

RS-42s (or R-14s, or RB-51s or even R-15Ms if on sale for around $125)

Sub reco:  Parts-express 15" sub for $175, or SVS-PB-12NSD  for $399 on amazon.

I like Klipsch subs, but they have specific strengths and weaknesses and getting one to do what you need would require an investment more like $500 or so.  Not worth it imo for your needs.  

Hope this helps.  Ask whatever you want for additional help or tips.  

I appreciate your time, thank you very much for your detailed answer! 

I decided to go the way of quality so I see the RP-250F fronts and RP-250C as a no brainer. 
The thing about sub is, that I would like to have the whole set from Klipsch to match the design. Since I am from Europe, I can order only from amazon.de where SVS SB-12NSD costs 449 Euro compare to Klipsch R-112SW which costs 434 Euro (so Klipsch is even little bit cheaper then SVS) I assume that r-112sw would be great too, right? 
On the other hand I got two problems with R-112SW. First is its costs, so I would have to skip it for now and buy it later, but I can live with that. Second is its depth. It has depth of 18.25" / 46.36 cm which is little too much than I would like to have. It will be near furniture which have depth 16" / 40 cm so I would like to have it matched.
These two problems brings me to the smaller version of Klipsch sub, the R-110SW which has more pleasant depth of 15.8" / 40.13 cm and with its lower cost I could probably buy it immediately with whole setup. So what do you think about R-110SW sub? It has 3 Hz more than R-112SW which I don't know if it is a big difference (?), but it is definately under Hz of RP-250F.

About surrounds, I have no option to buy RS-42s in any store here. But since I got like 8“ / 20 cm of maximum height for speakers available, I could not buy them anyway. So hopefully the R-14S will be fine.

Edited by Critiqal

I've owned both the 110 and 112 rp series subs. Neither made the cut for me as they just don't play low enough. I realize you wanna stay with klipsch but the only good sub they have right now is the R-115sw. Otherwise look into svs pb-1000 or pb-2000. Or if you need small and can save some money get a svs sb-13 ultra. It will play plenty low and plenty loud. 

Thank you guys. My original budget for sub was 300$. Based on your suggestions I will increase it to 500$ maximum and I still have to save up which will take a while. Till then I will take only the fronts, center and surrounds. 
So right now it seems the choice is between the SVS SB-12NSD and the Klipsch R-112SW. Is there really noticable difference for newbie like me? If not, I will take Klipsch because of design, if yes, than I will probably choose SVS because of it and because of more compact size. What do you think guys?

C I tend to agree with scrappydue here.   He has a lot of experience with a lot of different subs including high end DIY subs.

It's not as clearcut as you might want but I think I can point you in the right direction too.

Ported subs play the low tones louder than a sealed version of a simliar sub.  So if you and I create 2 similar subs, one ported and one sealed, the ported one will be a larger physical sub, and will play the low tones at a higher volume.   As an example, the ported may play 20hz at 110db, while a sealed plays 20hz at 98db.  So the ported subs play the low tones louder, and are larger physical subs.

The sealed ones will be smaller, and will be able to play the low tones but with less authority.  Usually this is made up for using power...i.e. sealed subs need more power at a given frequency to reproduce what the ported subs need...usually a sealed sub is boosted to try and compensate.    In the case of SVS subs, they come with a built in Digital Signal Processor, which the manufacturer programmed to have a flat response in a perfect room (a room with no reflections and 100% absorption).  That is an ideal starting point for a sub -- to have a linear response out of the box.  In your room it will vary of course.  

As scrappy says, buying the R-112SW is leaving a lot of capability on the table, that the R-115SW can do.  So if going ported, I would want to get the R-115SW from klipsch, and nothing else.  Because once I had another $100 or $200, I would wish I had the bigger one.

SVS does make ported subs, the PB-1000 and PB-2000 as scrappy mentioned. They are larger boxes, but imo will play down to 20hz with authority in both cases.

Recently SVS had a sale on their older SVS-SB-12NSD, which although an older design offer more power than the entry-level SVS SB-1000 (the sealed version of the PB-1000).  The SVS-SB12NSD is a tiny sub relatively speaking, and a good quality review shows it can play down to almost 21hz at -3db (more or less flat).

Given your constraints (don't need real loud, family issues, space issues), I see little downside to the SVS sub(s).   They retain value well and you could resell it for most of it's cost a year or 2 or even 3 after you buy it.  They hold value really well.   

it's not a simple as just get THIS...but I would point you to the SVS-SB12NSD as an excellent choice, with the caveat that it is understood what it can and cannot do.   Here's a great review of it:  http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sb12-nsd-subwoofer/sb12-nsd-measurements

I don't think you would be unhappy with the R-112SW, but if I were buying one right now with your requirements, I would skip it for one of the SVS subs, any of which (PB1000, PB2000, SVS-SB-12NSD) would be a good choice at the price.  PB2000 is more than you need given your contraints for now...but when the kids get older if you could play louder the PB2000 becomes a great choice.    But you can sell and get a different one later also.

Don't worry about it too much, buy what you want and enjoy it. 

Thank you very much RoboKlipsch I appreciate your time! I'll go with SVS-SB-12NSD since I love its size and probably after few years, when kids get older and we probably move to a bigger place, I will take Klipsch r-115sw or whatever better sub will Klipsch have, to match the design of whole system. :)  Again, thank you very much guys!

Edited by Critiqal

A point of info, getting a sub that plays lower will mean more things rattling in the room and disturbing neighbor if they are close.  For my living room setup, I still use the Klipsch 8 in. sub for the past six years.  It's fine for watching TV, music and some movies up stairs.