AL crossovers

CECAA850

4 hours ago, BEC said:

Here are some new 2.0uF caps being tested.  First is Erse.  Second is Dayton 1 percent.  Third is Dayton 5 percent.  Fourth is Sonicap.  The most important reading here is ESR.  The main change we see over time is ESR increasing.  Good to start out very low.

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

Bob,

Is that why you use Sonicaps in your xover upgrades, the lowest ESR?

TY

Mark

Wdecho had said that he believed most old capacitors were good because they weren't being exposed to high voltage situations. I posted the measurements in that context. I falsely assumed that everyone would understand that those were old Klipsch capacitors - all of which measure very badly. Good caps should be in the low milliohms range - which everyone here should know - seriously. 

I got a multi-meter from Craftsman years ago #82139 was not that much it can measure caps.. I have measured a lot of the Klipsch old caps and ALL of them were way off. Even the ones in my old Heresy which looked brand new were off. Bob and Dean are correct replace them.

Why wait for am amp to crap out?  I just had the caps replaced on my Carver amp because it took a dump.  They do get old, dry out and go bad.  Cap replacement due to time is preventative maintenance.  Cap replacement due to failure is repair.  I'd rather maintain my car then repair it.  Maintenance can be done on your schedule, repairs are done on your equipment's schedule.

2 hours ago, wdecho said:

I have far better things to do Dean than to argue just for the sake of argueing with you. State your case in any of my post if you wish but leave my name out of your post like a gentleman from now on. 

I don't have a horse in this race nor do I know the history between you too which I'm assuming there is.  All I saw were technical rebuttals and not personal attacks.  I value EVERYONES opinion as I'm a novice in many areas and appreciate all input from all parties.

3 hours ago, Deang said:

I falsely assumed that everyone would understand that those were old Klipsch capacitors - all of which measure very badly. Good caps should be in the low milliohms range - which everyone here should know - seriously. 

The smart guys know that, Dean.

Then there is the rest of us...:rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, wdecho said:

Carl you could remove everything from the boards and build from the AA schematic with the only substitution being the autotransformer and the 8uf vs 13uf AA cap. Lots of nice old inductors to play with for other X-over projects. 

Good info.  We have however already ordered the caps to rebuild the ones he has minus the circuitry not needed as recommended.  If I have time and gumption in the future, I may try to build him a set from scratch but I already have SO many unfinished home and audio projects as it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The smart guys know that, Dean.

Then there is the rest of us...:rolleyes:

I said you all SHOULD know. How many years have we been talking about this? How many capacitor threads have we had? Everyone here is "smart" enough to Google "capacitor ESR". 

The number on the meter represents how much internal resistance the capacitor has. It would be like adding a resistor of that value in series with the capacitor. Add enough resistance, and you'll barely be able to hear the tweeter - if at all. 

1 hour ago, Deang said:

I said you all SHOULD know. How many years have we been talking about this? How many capacitor threads have we had? Everyone here is "smart" enough to Google "capacitor ESR". 

I was a psych major so you know I don't know science.  Me Googling capacitor ESR is the same as me wondering why you guys haven't Googled "paradoxical intention."  NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THAT IS UNLESS YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT THAT IS!  :lol:  :P (it means reverse psychology)

The next time you are having a book signing for your new book "Capacitors and ESR for Dummies" let me know where you are.  I'll take the first copy.  :D

• Like 1