Long HDMI cables

ricktate

Not sure if has been discussed. But I would like to locate my AVR when I get one in my stereo closet in another room. Its about 20-25 feet from DVD and TV. Is it ok to get long HDMI cables for the DVD and back to the TV . Anyone have an idea who has best long HDMI cables? I looked at mono price and parts express. Are there certain ones to avoid etc. Thanks.Rick

20-25 feet might be pushing the limit for passive cables. Monoprice has some active cables (I think they call them "Redmere" or something like that) - relatively inexpensive & thin. I hooked one up for my son (around 30 feet) and it worked fine (but the cable is directional).

Rich

I bought a 40 ft. Redmere HDMI cable (for projector) from Monoprice and had handshake issues from day one. After several months I called them and they recommended their generic cable. It has worked flawlessly and I was somewhat surprised they did not try to upsell me to a more expensive cable. The Redmere was returned for a full refund.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024017&p_id=15646&seq=1&format=2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Tasdom said:

I bought a 40 ft. Redmere HDMI cable (for projector) from Monoprice and had handshake issues from day one. After several months I called them and they recommended their generic cable. It has worked flawlessly and I was somewhat surprised they did not try to upsell me to a more expensive cable. The Redmere was returned for a full refund.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024017&p_id=15646&seq=1&format=2

This looks like the one that I have.  I've always wondered if my handshake issues are due to the HDMI Cable.  Mine is 40'....it's the generic, super thick cable one. There are many times when I power up everything, I just get a blue screen.  Sometimes switching inputs on the projector fixes it or switching between HDMI Inputs on the receiver, sometimes a combo of both.  I always assumed it was the Onkyo not playing well with the Panny but now I'm starting to wonder if it might be the cable.

On 12/29/2016 at 7:19 PM, Youthman said:

I always assumed it was the Onkyo not playing well with the Panny but now I'm starting to wonder if it might be the cable.

You probably should try another cable and see if that fixes things. I have never once had any handshake issue between my Onkyo and Panny or anything else for that matter. But I have also never needed an hdmi cable over 20 ft long, my longest cable is a 20 ft  from Monoprices Luxe Series.

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=luxe+series+hdmi