Heresy II to Tangent 400 VS Crites 1.5T VS Forte II

Lasz

Ok, so I'm scratching my head a bit about what to do. I'm loving my Heresy II's but i'm lusting for just a bit more bass. I don't necessarily require 20Hz deep bass (although I wouldn't mind it either)

I'm considering either building a Tangent 400 size ported cabinet with some proper internal bracing and eventually upgrading the mid and tweeter diaphragms with titanium ones from Crites and Klipsch.

or build a set of Crites 1.5T speakers

or just wait until a pair of Forte II come along.

What I'm wondering is, is whether the Tangent 400 cabinet is the ideal size for the K-24 woofer and whether the bass ports and woofer are on the ideal hight. I wonder, because I've read is that for the CWIII, they moved the woofer up a bit higher and that resulted in less of a dip in the spectrum.

Does anyone have any experience building Tangent 400-like cabinets for the HII?

i asked a similar question a while ago, I ended up buying a set of forte ii's and now I have a pair of heresy ii's and forte ii's what could be better? LOL I say search for some forte II's. I will also say as jason str said above add a sub or two and the heresy's wil lbe beautiful.

• Like 1

Yes, this has come up before. I like the saying, "there is no need to reinvent the wheel." Klipsch has done all the work for you when they designed and built the forte models. If you want more bass either add subs or replace your mains with a larger, full sized speakers. Forte's typically sell for around the same price as your H-II's so if money is a concern once you find your new speakers you can likely sell your H-II's and get most if not all of your money back.

I would think the only reasons one would take on a build your own project is if your current cabinets are trashed and not worth much as is and you're an experienced wood worker hobbyist and just want to do a fun little project. Either way, good luck!

Unfortunately in the Netherlands, where I live, Fortes don't seem to show up very often. For about 120 Euros however, I can get T 400 cabinets made. Plus Klipsch has titanium midrange diaphragms for the K-53 driver and I'm not aware there existing a titanium forte midrange diaphragm out there.

Considering your location, I would build new cabs and swap the parts over. The Tangent 400, is an excellent speaker, the quality of the cabinet being the main (or only) drawback. While I find the bass on my HIIs to be fine, getting a bit lower response with the same parts with a Klipsch designed cabinet is a plus. You may find you don't need subs. No offense to all the "just add a sub" folks on here. My rooms are crowded enough.

Bruce

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after some looking lo and behold I actually found a pair of Forte II speakers, about 60Km from my place. I picked them up for €450,- Unfortunately the passive radiator of one of the speakers has a small tear near the edge of the cone and in the fabric surround, but it was sealed with glue and I couldn't feel any air passing through, even when playing loud, so I guess it's probably fine. Also one of the mid horns seems to be a bad mould, because one side isn't flush with the cabinet and looks like it's slightly "tucked inward."

What do you guys think, fair price? Considering it's in the Netherlands... I've seen Heresies go here for more than what I paid for these.

First thing I'll probably be doing is new crossovers and also one day I'll probably give them new diaphragms. Maybe I'll add some bracing to the cabinets too.

Playing them with a Classé CAP-101 and I'm surprised at how punchy they are, considering it's got a passive radiator; not boomy at all. I mean they're not as quick as the Heresies, but I guess everything's a trade-off.

• Like 1

Congrats on the new speakers! Yes, every speaker seems to have their own strengths and weaknesses. Bass response will vary greatly based on positioning so you might take some time and play around with them a bit to get the best sound out of them. The closer to corners you have them will increase the bass as well as how close or far away from the back wall. I preferred mine about 18" from the side walls and about 10" off the back wall toed in slightly.

• Like 1

On 7-1-2017 at 4:17 AM, dwilawyer said:

The answer now is get Delgado's.(Forte IIII) Tractrix horns, Ti drivers.  I think the new European Klipsch Dirstributor is in the NL.

Have you seen photos and discussion about them in the CES threads?

I just googled it after I saw your post, very interesting, very cool! They look so pretty in wood veneer... Unfortunately they cost just a tad more than what I paid for my black FII ;) 

• Like 1

Ok, this is a BIG disappointment. I ordered Bob Crites' ti tweeters for my Fortes and upon removing the tweeters I notice to my dismay that they have the completely wrong tweeters! They're not even Klipsch! And what's worse, some complete moron GLUED the horns onto them!

Now I have to find myself a pair of K-75-K drivers. Probably a set of horns too...

The horns are the same as the Heresy II, correct?

_DSF9042.jpg

_DSF9043.jpg

The drivers in the forte tweeters (k-75) are pretty much the same as the k-79 and k-792 if you're looking for replacements. You might even call Klipsch parts department as the new tweeters in the Cornwall III would make nice drop in replacements for the forte II if they'd sell them to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

You didn't order those tweeters directly from Bob Crites did you?  

Nooo!! this is how they sat in my Fortes. What I ordered from Bob were the Ti diaphragms. But that's no use until I find some K-75 drivers.

I don't get it. How can someone either loose and/or break the tweeter drivers? They're INSIDE the cabinet.

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

The drivers in the forte tweeters (k-75) are pretty much the same as the k-79 and k-792 if you're looking for replacements. You might even call Klipsch parts department as the new tweeters in the Cornwall III would make nice drop in replacements for the forte II if they'd sell them to you.

Thanks! I'll look into that.