Heresy II to Tangent 400 VS Crites 1.5T VS Forte II

Lasz

Yes, they are the same. The k-79 was used in the Cornwall II and both Chorus models, I believe the only difference is ferrofluid is used in this tweeter for higher power handling. The k-792 is the "pro" version of the k-79 but with a Tractrix horn lens like in the new H-III's and Cornwall III's. All of the magnets on these three models are exactly the same.

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

Yes, they are the same. The k-79 was used in the Cornwall II and both Chorus models, I believe the only difference is ferrofluid is used in this tweeter for higher power handling. The k-792 is the "pro" version of the k-79 but with a Tractrix horn lens like in the new H-III's and Cornwall III's. All of the magnets on these three models are exactly the same.

Awesome. That gives me a lot more opportunities.

I already found a guy who sells the K-79-K for... €50,- apiece. Ouch.

Otoh, I bought my Fortes for €450,- and I'd probably have bought them for €550,- as well..

Well this is a bummer, they guy who I thought had K79-K tweeters for sale didn't have them any more.

If anyone has a spare pair of either K-75-K, K-79-K or K-792-KP tweeters laying around and is willing to part with them, please shoot me a PM.

Ok so I contacted the Klipschgroup for the parts but I received a message saying that they had none of the tweeters mentioned available.

I'm starting to run out of ideas. Are there any modern day equivalents of the tweeters listed above?

does it have the same size magnet? because the Heresy III has the same tweeter as well...

EDIT:

the K-107-ti uses a K-100-ti driver, right? so that could be another part I could look out for...

so then, the K-75-K, K-79-K, K-792-KP, K-100-ti/k-107-ti all should have the same size magnet.

On 02/02/2017 at 0:21 PM, Lasz said:

Ok, this is a BIG disappointment. I ordered Bob Crites' ti tweeters for my Fortes and upon removing the tweeters I notice to my dismay that they have the completely wrong tweeters! They're not even Klipsch! And what's worse, some complete moron GLUED the horns onto them!

Now I have to find myself a pair of K-75-K drivers. Probably a set of horns too...

The horns are the same as the Heresy II, correct?

_DSF9042.jpg

_DSF9043.jpg

Those vifa tweeters are domes, not compression drivers. Crazy!

Imagine my horror!

Ugh, I'm getting frustrated. I can't seem to find any place to buy the right tweeter magnets. Klipsch already referred me to the service point in the Netherlands, but the spokesperson there is a bit of a "Droopy" for who sending an e-mail to Klipsch apparently is like "moving heaven and earth," as he said so himself...

Well, apparently Klipsch doesn't seem to be selling any K-75-K, K-79-K or K-792-KP tweeters any more, so I guess my last and only hope will be trying to get a pair K-107-ti tweeters from Klipsch.

Anyone tried them on the Forte II? How do they sound? Still the same size magnet, right?

I wish they popped up on ebay more than about once a year...

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:53 AM, Lasz said:

Well, apparently Klipsch doesn't seem to be selling any K-75-K, K-79-K or K-792-KP tweeters any more, so I guess my last and only hope will be trying to get a pair K-107-ti tweeters from Klipsch.

Anyone tried them on the Forte II? How do they sound? Still the same size magnet, right?

I wish they popped up on ebay more than about once a year...

This guy has a pair for sale (listing is for one but I contacted him and he has two,) looks like he'd ship to you as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-K-79-K-Tweeter-and-Horn-/192113253919?hash=item2cbad79e1f:g:fvEAAOSwOgdYsNGy

• Like 1

Hey thanks! I did have some ebay alerts pending, but you seem to have beat them to it! :)

Only €186,- shipped (including taxes) for both tweeters... zoinks...

I'm just wondering now whether or not it would be cheaper to just order a set of K-107-ti from a Dutch distributor.

Since those already have Ti diaphragms, I could sell the Crites and save me some money....

21 minutes ago, Lasz said:

Hey thanks! I did have some ebay alerts pending, but you seem to have beat them to it! :)

Only €186,- shipped (including taxes) for both tweeters... zoinks...

I'm just wondering now whether or not it would be cheaper to just order a set of K-107-ti from a Dutch distributor.

Since those already have Ti diaphragms, I could sell the Crites and save me some money....

Yeah, if you're searching for something rare or a good deal you can't wait around for the eBay alerts as many deals will come and go before they send out an email. I don't know the seller but if you reach out to him and explain your situation he may come down in price. As far as the new Klipsch tweeters I'd definitely look into that as soon as possible to at least establish price and availability to weigh your options.  

@jjptkd I saw in another thread that you have put K-107-ti tweeters in your Chorus IIs, did you need to do any modifications to the cabinet or can they be used as a direct drop-in?

Just to avoid confusion: the K-792-KP is exactly the same as the K-107-Ti, right? Since they both have the tractrix horn and also both seem to have the Ti diaphragm...

Just for clarification I only had the k-107 when I had the Heresy III's, which I compared to the KP-792 in my Chorus II's at the time. The KP-792 did not come stock with the titanium diaphragm, I believe they came with the black shiny plastic poly diaphragms. The plastic horn lens and magnet are the same though from what I can tell. The Chorus (I&II) have a 1" motorboard which is unlike most of the home models, I had to shave off the inside of the cabinet housing to fit the new tweeter as the depth of horn lens is shorter on the newer Tractrix tweeter. I'm fairly certain that there would be no need for any cabinet modification for these in the forte as they use the more standard 3/4" motorboard.

• Like 1

Just out of interest, how do the speakers sound with those Vifa's? I've had great results from a few different vifa  tweeters in replacement situations when I was younger and less careful with volume levels.

Might want to check the previous owner didn't mod the crossover too?

• 3 months later...

Ok so I just bought four KP-2500-C speakers (the owner wouldn't sell two) to use the tweeters for my Forte IIs. They definitely sound better now than with the vifa tweeters, at least the sound has opened up. I also finally got a chance to install Bob Cites' titanium diaphragms, which I had laying around for a few months now. I must say, although they maybe sound more detailed, they also sound a bit more sibilant, compared to the stock K-79-K diaphragms. Does anybody else share this experience? I also upgraded the crossover caps, which makes them sound even a little brighter still...

• Like 1