S.E.T. Amp Impressions/Review

mojomc

So several months ago I joined the forum and made a post or two which led to a long and informational email exchange with Maynard. He took the time to ask my listening preferences, room layout. He even asked me to take some rough voltage measurements going to the LaScalas and what we found was what we all should already know by now. At my listening levels, generally around 85db in my spot, I was only using an average of 0.0625 watts. So after some further back and forth I settled on taking a chance on one of Maynard's creations. Most who have been on the forum have no doubt already seen but here it is again. Hammond xfmrs, 12AX7 and 6BX7GT tubes producing a glorious 1.3 WPC.

I compare it to my home theater setup which consists of KLF-30s and an older Denon AVR-2800. Listening to 2 channel on the KLFs through is Denon is lifeless and dead to me. The sounds are all there but without life. At least that's how I explain it. But if I take the time to connect Maynard's amp to the KLFs man oh man does the music they make come to life.

Here's where I'd like to mention that I've read a lot of low end deficiencies of S.E.T. amps but I have not detected this in my listening and I've tried. I've done A/B listening with the KLFs using both the Denon and the S.E.T. using sources tunes from artists such as Outkast and Beastie Boys. Never did the bass seem to be weaker with the S.E.T. than it did with the SS Denon. I continue to be impressed everyday that we listen. Also attached is a look at our listening room for now. It's not quite deep enough but we're in the process of completing some renovations in order to move into something a little bigger with a dedicated listening room.

As we all know Maynard is a top shelf individual willing to put the time and effort into making sure that needs are met and any questions are answered. I've very much enjoyed our email exchanges and look forward to more in the future. I've been slowly trying to build a knowledge base so that someday I can tackle a DIY project.

So thank you to Maynard for his willingness to share his designs and to provide knowledge and assistance.

I'd also like to thank the forum members for everyone's contributions. It's been a pleasure reading through active members posts and gathering information and ideas! I look forward to further interactions. I have been contemplating a 2 way cornscala build for the bedroom. B)

Brent

20161007_113032(1).jpg

20161013_125902(1).jpg

• Like 3

Great write up and impression.  It is strange for most people to imagine needing so little power to drive the speakers.  A good simple amp is all that is needed to enjoy your music.  Most don't even realize that speaker big speakers like the KLF 30's can sound great with so little power.

My 2a3 amps are overkill, fer sure...  Never felt they were deficient in any way, and the 3.5 watts they produce suit me just fine.

I'm glad you took the plunge. I would love to build one of Maymard's designs, and now that I am working again, perhaps I can get something done.

Bruce

I've been trying to consume all the information I can as time allows. I would love to assemble a DIY unit. Most likely a kit in my case. DHT amps may be a little much for a beginner  but who knows, by the time I get around to it I may change my mind. The stereomour by bottlehead seems popular.