installing Klipsch R-5650-S II In-Wall Speaker using dynama

normoo

• 1 month later...

I was looking at that kit when I installed mine in our small HT setup in the basement.  Unfortunately, it didn't go quite as I had planned.  Both holes I cut in the walls where I wanted them were blocked, one with a horizontal board, the other with ducting.  So, I used some 3/4" MDF and built partial boxes for them, with the rear open considering they are supposed to be more of a 'free air' design.  There is insulation behind them so it kind of encloses them. 

I cut the drywall to 1/2 way in on the studs, so I could put a couple of screws in the drywall where I had cut it.  I measured the holes, depth needed, built the boxes, secured them to wall/framing utilizing some L brackets and some Liquid Nails.  Then, for moisture protection, one is on an exterior wall, I used Kilz to paint the inside of the enclosures.  I added a small amount of polyfil in the enclosure to help with any resonances.  Next I used tape, mud, and my texture gun to finish the boxes before I painted the room.  Anyway, I've attached show pics in the next couple posts.  I call it a 'reverse french' installation.

So, if you don't have obstructions, you could use 1/2" MDF to build a panel that spans to the studs with an enclosure attached behind it that fits between the studs.  1/2" considering the usual thickness of drywall.  I was going to do this originally but had to go the other way.  The other reason I did this was due to the fact that I didn't want any vibrations from the drywall and a better resonance from the MDF.  Hope this helps.