Blown subs need help

staygroovybaby

I know I am in the garage sale spot. I need opinions ( advice ).  Just picked up a pair of JBL Summit L 300s.  I listened to them before buying and they sounded fantastic even at concert levels.

I drive home , hook them up, all connections are 100% correct.  Low volumes the sound fine, a song comes on and I turn it up. Not as loud as when I was listening to them before I bought them. Out of nowhere I hear the left speaker pop, ( loud, )  I immediately turn it down, start the song over, turn it up and the pop is back. I disconect the speaker and listen to the right side, the pop appears. I then hooked it up to a different system and the pop is in both speakers.  I  then hook up different speakers and crank it up and no problems.   I hook up a third set and no problems.  I pull the subwoofer out of one of the JBLS and replace it with a spare that i have,  within 10 to 15 seconds there it is the pop. so now I have 3 woffers that need to be rebuilt. 

I know All connections are correct and I was not clipping any of the equipment.    Any ideals, anyone   

Woofers don't just blow, at least its rare if you are not juicing the hell out of them. Maybe they were sitting a long time or were repaired incorrectly and just failed.

Find some re-coning kits or send them out for repair if you care to keep the set functioning, not much choice now unless you can find a good used pair of woofers.

Jason, I have talked with several people today & they say the same as you. I did not have them cranked up loud enough to blow them. And then there is the question of the third woofer that I know played perfect until I placed it in one of the jbls. I was just wondering if there could be something in the speaker components causing the problem. I have already ordered replacement woofers. I will see what happens.   I am a big klipsch fan and own Bellles, Cornwalls, La Scalas, & Khorns.  I occasionally buy other high end speakers so I can hear and compare the sound. When I bought the JBLs they had an incredible sound while I was auditioning them. Then I get them home and POP POP POP POP, almost forgot the SNAP CRACKLE.  I  thank you for your comment.  I have been wanting a pair of JBL l300s for some time now and I waited until I found a pair close enough for me to travel and get them. I am sure I will get them back on their feet and enjoy them.