RMHC All Heritage 5.1 almost ready...

Mallette

Everything in place.  Have to get some speaker wire and a couple of longer cables and they will SING!  Also will make temporary false corners from plywood with hinges.  Figure I'll commission them with a PWK recording, perhaps Flem Ferguson and his Dixieland Band from the 1956 KOSY-Texarkana studio session in 1956.  Transferred it today and it is truly awesome. 

Dave

Klipsch.jpg

• Like 5

Oddly, the acoustics are incredible.  I had a Frazier/sub system in there and couldn't believe the sound.  I suspect it is the massive volume that makes the difference.  The image is very precise and defined, but with a great sense of "space" without any slap.  Reverb is very soft and I'd guess about 2 seconds, but the amount is reduced due to firing across the space rather than up and down.

Come on up some weekend and see what you think.  I'll likely have Roy and Jim over to see what they think.  When I renovate the space the listening and performance area will definitely be analyzed and optimized.  It will be world-class.  Hope to host a "Classic Album Sunday" in a year or so. 

Dave

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mallette said:

I suspect it is the massive volume that makes the difference.

Yes.  High ceilings, too.

About 14 feet, Chris.  Space is 24X136 and wide open.  The mezzanine will be controllable by being at the far end of the building and enclosed on three sides.  Will wait and see what the experts think, but I believe a low pile carpet in that area with the system being 90 degrees to the one border with the main space may be all that is needed.

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

I would think you'd want to fire the mains from the wall opposite the stairs so that there's no bounce back wall at the back.  Let them fire into the cavern as opposed to firing into a wall.

That's how I envisioned it too, but since I've been there, what do I know.

16 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I would think you'd want to fire the mains from the wall opposite the stairs so that there's no bounce back wall at the back.  Let them fire into the cavern as opposed to firing into a wall.

In the initial sketch layout, it looks like there are wall mounted surround-Rears, but they may just be Side Surrounds.  Dave may want to take that into consideration in determining his final layout.