drum songs?

Paducah Home Theater

Does anybody have some songs for easy but fun songs to play drums to where you have to memorize song changes?  My daughter is really picky apparently.  Only been playing a week now but is way beyond the typical MJ's Billie Jean type stuff where you do the same thing the whole song.  She plays these all the time though, some like 10-12 times a day.  

Uptown Funk, Bruno Mars

Raise Your Glass, Pink

Maps, the Yeah Yeah Yeah's

Blank Space, Taylor Swift

Sugar, Maroon 5

sabotage, Beastie Boys

trying to teach her Walk This Way

Any similar ones you can think of?  Not too hard please.  

• Like 1

Dumb drummer here!  :)

Great idea using music to teach drums.  If it's fun your daughter has a much better chance of sticking with it.

My basic idea of teaching drums is to teach snare drum.  If you can play one drum, you can play them all.  The best and most basic beat is the single stroke roll L R L R L R and the the double stroke roll, or diddle (2 beats with one stick, then alternate LL RR LL RR etc.  Start slow (REAL slow) then accelerate slowly emphasizing all the beats being equal, same sound.

Also remember there is an OPEN snare drum roll, and a CLOSED or buzzed snare drum roll.  I would teach both, but especially the open roll.

I just reviewed several snare drum rolls on Youtube.  There are a LOT of really bad ones!  So many I couldn't find a good one.  :wacko:  A good snare roll is even on both the left and right hands.  You should not be able to hear a "pulse" or uneven sound. 

+++

Songs:  It's because I'm old, I would recommend the Beatles, Beach Boys and other band from that era.  The daughter can work on keeping tempo and all the songs from that era were simple, straight forward 4/4 time with no tempo changes.  Lots of fun and anyone can do it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I'm going to have to work on her classic rock appreciation, she's only 12. :)  

Oh, she's 12?  In that case, have her do what the drum corps kids do:  (JUST KIDDING, this kid is fantastic, playing with the World Champion drum corps champion Blue Devils, the kings of the flam!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Great idea using music to teach drums.  If it's fun your daughter has a much better chance of sticking with it.

My basic idea of teaching drums is to teach snare drum.  If you can play one drum, you can play them all.  The best and most basic beat is the single stroke roll L R L R L R and the the double stroke roll, or diddle (2 beats with one stick, then alternate LL RR LL RR etc.  Start slow (REAL slow) then accelerate slowly emphasizing all the beats being equal, same sound.

Also remember there is an OPEN snare drum roll, and a CLOSED or buzzed snare drum roll.  I would teach both, but especially the open roll.

I just reviewed several snare drum rolls on Youtube.  There are a LOT of really bad ones!  So many I couldn't find a good one.  :wacko:  A good snare roll is even on both the left and right hands.  You should not be able to hear a "beat" or uneven sound. 

+++

Songs:  It's because I'm old, I would recommend the Beatles, Beach Boys and other band from that era.  The daughter can work on keeping tempo and all the songs from that era were simple, straight forward 4/4 time with no tempo changes.  Lots of fun and anyone can do it.

He asked for songs with changes, mr. dumb drummer.

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I just reviewed several snare drum rolls on Youtube.  There are a LOT of really bad ones!  So many I couldn't find a good one.  :wacko:  A good snare roll is even on both the left and right hands.  You should not be able to hear a "beat" or uneven sound. 

+++

I know nothing about drumming.  I have played all kinds of instruments so I can pick up on some things but I know zilch about technique.  Going to have to pay for lessons eventually.  She's learned so much in the past week though that it seems silly.  Figured I'd wait until she hits a plateau, she's just kind of teaching herself with youtube videos right now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

She's learned so much in the past week though that it seems silly.

If she's teaching herself, she's developing bad habits.  Best to start off with lessons before muscle memory of bad technique sets in.

• Like 2

This is her favorite song, she plays this non-stop.  She plays along with this video and tries to mimic the fills.  Except for those she can play everything else and she's been working on those.  I love this girl, she's awesome.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

He asked for songs with changes, mr. dumb drummer.

I don't know what a "song change" is.  :)

She's been playing a week, she hasn't mastered anything yet.  She should simply play beats, any beats to songs she likes and have fun.  I recommend simple and straight forward stuff, and she should learn MUSIC, not drums.

+++

Attention, SUPER DAD:  Don't push.  B)

17 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

This is her favorite song, she plays this non-stop.  She plays along with this video and tries to mimic the fills.  Except for those she can play everything else and she's been working on those.  I love this girl, she's awesome.  

Agree, and I can assure you she's had some training.  She is "monkey drumming" (high arms) and showing some style and flash, but she is solid rhythmicly and has good wrist technique.

The girl is also playing very easy beats, all single stroke rolls.  All quarter notes.

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Attention, SUPER DAD:  Don't push.  B)

I'm not pushing whatsoever, it's 100% all her doing.  There ain't but so many times in a day that I can hear Uptown Funk though.  

Just got off the phone with a local music shop, trying to synchronize schedules for lessons.  

• Like 1