drum songs?

Paducah Home Theater

Here you go.  Simple drum fill practice.  Try to maintain good timing when you do your fills and make them sound smooth and not choppy.  At the end of the fill, come back into your beat smoothly, without delay and not early.  Practice some "touch."  Notice the part where the high-hat sounds like a clock ticking?  Hard soft hard soft hard soft hard soft...  Make it sound right.  

At 4:30, you get to learn a new beat if you already don't know it.  1-2-3-4-5-6 1-2-3-4-5-6, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

This is where I was getting the paradiddle from, watch starting at 2:53, my paradiddle reference is explained from 4:07 to 5:01.  I'm having a hard time doing this part at speed.  Maybe he's not teaching it properly, I wouldn't know the difference.  

(From the video) Dear lord, LEARN HOW TO TUNE A SNARE DRUM!  It's way too loose and sounds awful.  :wacko:

+++

And I agree with Jeff, the paradiddle is not for your daughter, it's for you;) It's  hard to do!   It does teach you to take control of your hands and the secret to learning it is to GO SLOW.  Real slow until you get into a bit of a rhythm. Then speed it up (might take a month) until your hands fall apart.  Then slow down.  B)

BTW the left hand is almost always weaker than the right.  Try to get them equal, same stick height at 3" and 6".  The practice for this is a standard warm-up called "Eight on a hand."  Go 8 strokes on the RH, then 8 strokes on the LH. 

This guy does it perfectly on a drum corps competition snare (very tight! perfectly in-tune).  He has great technique, traditional grip.

You can find some GREAT warmup exercises on the Vic Firth site.

• Like 1

She would probably like playing this one, the basic beat is pretty simple, and the recurring tom fills ought to make her feel like she's doing something.  Dude gets a little overly crazy in parts but she can do the basic song I believe.  The snare and bass is pretty straightforward and recurring.  I like this guy but in all his videos he switches styles like 10 times, hard to follow sometimes.  He apparently played in a big college marching band.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

If you can do that after having only been drumming for a handful of weeks, you are gifted.  

The basic part of what he is playing doesn't seem to be much harder than Walk This Way and I can at least mostly play that.  I can't do fills to save my life but I can get recurring beats that aren't too fast.  She is better than me to be honest.  I've played guitar, bass, harmonica, alto / tenor / bari sax, 9th level piano, been in multiple bar bands, I imagine that helps a bit but drums are still tripping me out, never really had to do three things at once before.  Two is no problem, three, not so much.  

43 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The basic part of what he is playing doesn't seem to be much harder than Walk This Way and I can at least mostly play that.

I understand, but how he is playing is very smooth.  On time.  I have a hard time believing you can't do fills to save your life, but you can play the ride cymbal the way he's playing it in the beginning.  

There's probably a name for that technique, but if you look, he's playing in 1/8 notes.  He is hitting the ride at the bell and then a couple inches outside of the bell in an alternating pattern.  It makes a sound like ping-pong-ping-pong-ping-pong...

You can do that and keep the foot and snare going?  If so, your daughter will be learning a lot just from you.

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I understand, but how he is playing is very smooth. 

Oh he's smooth for sure.  All good musicians can play looking like they're bored to tears seems like.  No I'm not on that level whatsoever.  I've always noticed this with Frank Beard of ZZ Top.  Have no idea how he makes it look so effortless.  I never see him getting much credit though for some reason.  

6 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Oh he's smooth for sure.  All good musicians can play looking like they're bored to tears seems like.  No I'm not on that level.  I've always noticed this with Frank Beard of ZZ Top.  Have no idea how he makes it look so effortless.  

I do.  It's because the way they play, it is effortless.  You play and play until you get the fills right, and then, they don't take so much effort anymore.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm some great drummer.  I can play to a whole lot of classic rock, though. I have a nephew who just got accepted to Berklee for drumming.  He starts in a couple of weeks.  That will be interesting. This kid has some great licks.  He has a deep reservoir of time signatures and grooves.  He prefers jazz/fusion.  He can come in and sight-read and play on the spot.

She just got out of her first lesson a few minutes ago.  Went through basic setup, posture, tweaking her grip, that kind of stuff, started with the basics of reading sheet music.  Can't accomplish much in half an hour it seems.  Her first words after coming out were "I wish it had lasted an hour".  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

She just got out of her first lesson a few minutes ago.  Went through basic setup, posture, tweaking her grip, that kind of stuff, started with the basics of reading sheet music.  Can't accomplish much in half an hour it seems.  Her first words after coming out were "I wish it had lasted an hour".  

Just repeat the lesson at home.  That 1/2 hour is very valuable long-term.

So that Foo Fighters song is harder to play like that than expected, but for a different reason than expected.  When you slow the ride cymbal down to where you're only playing quarter notes yet the kick drum is playing something that more aligns with eighth notes sometimes but sometimes not, I screw up pretty badly, my right hand keeps wanting to hit along with my right foot on that off beat.  Practiced this song for a couple hours last night and got better at this, played with the video as well as played the beat at half speed, but still, doesn't feel natural yet.  If I speed up the ride cymbal I can do the kick drum beat and the snare, but it doesn't sound right.  Verse is easy, it's the chorus... "looking for a complication" with quarter notes on the ride cymbal messes me up.  

I'm not a drummer.  I went to lunch yesterday (Five-Guys) and heard something I've not heard in a long time...made me think of this thread.

In the Garden of Eden (Innagoddadivida)

They did however, trim the song and cut the best part out.

On 1/5/2017 at 5:11 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Right attitude.  :)

+++

What grip is she learning, traditional or matched grip?  Both seem about equally popular, but I would like to see her learn traditional.  Then if she goes for matched grip it is a very easy transition, but much harder to switch from matched to traditional.

Is she learning snare or drum set?

FYI historically girls were discouraged from becoming drummers because they didn't have good wrist strength, they weren't strong enough to march with a heavy snare drum, they weren't aggressive enough with the drum sticks.  That notion has gone to the trash heap of history.  I have seen fantastic female percussionists at the highest levels of competitive drumming, which is showcased in drum corps. 

I hope your daughter goes on to become one of them.

9 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I'm not a drummer.  I went to lunch yesterday (Five-Guys) and heard something I've not heard in a long time...made me think of this thread.

In the Garden of Eden (Innagoddadivida)  They did however, trim the song and cut the best part out.

That would be 17 minutes and 5 seconds of pure drumming goodness.  :)    And yes, they did have a version for the radio, shortened just as you said.  That is a really fun and easy solo to learn.

There is another Youtube vid in black and white that shows the band live, or something that looks like live, but the quality was sooo bad.  Here is the higher quality but boring to look at vid.  Man, was this ever a classic showcase of late 60's music.