RP-260F - No highs from tweeters

mwyse

Just got two brand new RP-260F along with a Anthem MRX520 amp.  Received the Klipsch sub and center speaker a couple days ago.  We hooked up just the sub and two towers and prepared to be blown away by incredible sound.  I queued up Steely Dan and hit play.  Ah....the music was horrible.  No highs.  Nothing from the tweeters.  Checked and double checked all obvious things.  Polarity, inputs, sound settings, nothing.  Changed speaker wire gauge (16).  Finally we unboxed the Klipsch center speaker and all frequencies were heard and it sounded incredible.  How can this happen?  Two brand new speakers and both tweeters are out?  Does not seem possible.  I'm hoping that although I am not new to home audio, I am overlooking something very simple with these speakers.  If both tweeters are out I will have to consider returning the entire Klipsch set up and move on to another brand.  On a side note, when unboxing the subwoofer there was a loud rattle in the cabinet.  Once out of the box and bag and after a little shaking around, a corner support from inside the cabinet came sliding out of the front port of the sub.  WTF?  Glue is on the support piece but apparently it was not secured well enough since it has been bouncing around in the cabinet for lord knows how long.  I'll send that back simply because the cabinet's integrity is compromised but the 260's?  I need to understand what I can do different to test these tweeters. We've been looking forward to this audio upgrade in our home for months and this is so disappointing it makes the wife and I quite upset.  Suggestions?

Edited by mwyse

My guess is since the center kind of brought it all together, that maybe, and this is just a guess, that maybe you have your settings on something other than stereo/all sounds through all channels? I know when i have mine on 7 ch stereo for music all sounds are coming from every speaker, but if i play music when i am in standard 7.1, most of the sound is coming from the center channel. 

As far as your other issues, don't know why your stuff is falling apart early on. Maybe they were damaged before you got them. Shipping issues or something. Just because a box shows no cosmetic damage doesn't mean they couldn't have been dropped or something. I don't have a good answer for that one.

Check those jumper bars and the fasteners on the speaker connections. I have seen several loose. If those check out maybe you need to re calibrate the AVR??? There is a post on here about 12 pages and in the end he just re-booted and recalibrated his AVR and solved problem. I would take sub back Klipsch is getting more and more complaints like this and is not a good sign. Quality control needs to be stepped up.....Better step up Klipsch!!!!!

I should clarify.  I hooked the center speaker up in place of one of the towers. Center speaker was hooked to left--front-main input on the receiver.  I left the other tower connected to right-front main.  Center speaker had full sound and the tower speaker sound did not change.  Muddy with no highs.  I switched amps (JVC) and even disconnected the right tower speaker wire from the speaker and hooked up a NEAR speaker we have.  Sounded awesome while the other channel, hooked to the 260 still had no highs.  I think I eliminated the Anthem receiver as the problem.  It powered other speakers well and the JVC to Klipsch towers did not result in any tweeter sound.   It is as if I received two defective speakers - that's all I can think of. Were these things tested at all?  The serial numbers are five digits apart as if they were not assembled side-by-side but there were four speakers assembled between them.  (if that's how the serial number works).  

• Like 1

If I were you I would call Klipsch and talk to someone and have them walk you through whatever tests they can think of. It sounds to me that the easiest answer would be deffective parts, but my gut says thats crazy that you bought two and both were defective. If it was one I would feel better about saying that's what it was. It still may be, but the fact that it is two makes me believe there is another underlying issue. Not sure. Give them a call and tell them your issue, you bought their product, they need to be able to help

mwyse,

First welcome to the forum.

Second I am sorry about your speaker troubles.  It does seem kind of odd about possible both tweeters blown.  As mentioned, check the jumpers on the speaker terminals to make sure they are connected properly.

Image result for Klipsch RP-260F jumpers

Bill

• Like 1

Ok... Good news - sort of.  The towers were purchased through Crutchfield.  Called them and the tech said "did you pull the tweeter to see if it was hooked up"?  Hell no we didn't - what about warranty.  Tech said "If the tweeter is hooked up and does not work it will be covered"  So, we pulled the tweeter.  NOT HOOKED UP!  Either of them!  Hooked them up and the sound check with properly hooked up tweeters was AWESOME!   Still ticked off at Klipsch but the sound of the speakers functioning as designed took a little edge off.  Thanks all for your help!  We may still shop some BMW speakers because of this.....we have 30 days or so to get convinced. 

The subwoofer with the support piece that was floating around came through Amazon.  They will ship a new one tomorrow.  Gotta love the big A for some things.  My golly these speakers sound good.  We are already thinking they have more room to go and our Anthem AVR is not enough power (100 wpc).  The Mrs. wants to send it back and get the Cambridge CRX200.  I'm on the fence but will probably go that direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mwyse said:

The subwoofer with the support piece that was floating around came through Amazon.  They will ship a new one tomorrow.  Gotta love the big A for some things. 

That is good news.

1 hour ago, mwyse said:

My golly these speakers sound good.  We are already thinking they have more room to go and our Anthem AVR is not enough power (100 wpc).  The Mrs. wants to send it back and get the Cambridge CRX200.  I'm on the fence but will probably go that direction.

While I own and enjoy Cambridge Audio gear, I think you should keep the Anthem.  Better reliability, better room correction with ARC, and if you "need" more power, just add an outboard amp.

Bill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mwyse said:

Ok... Good news - sort of.  The towers were purchased through Crutchfield.  Called them and the tech said "did you pull the tweeter to see if it was hooked up"?  Hell no we didn't - what about warranty.  Tech said "If the tweeter is hooked up and does not work it will be covered"  So, we pulled the tweeter.  NOT HOOKED UP!  Either of them!  Hooked them up and the sound check with properly hooked up tweeters was AWESOME!   Still ticked off at Klipsch but the sound of the speakers functioning as designed took a little edge off.  Thanks all for your help!  We may still shop some BMW speakers because of this.....we have 30 days or so to get convinced. 

QC problems do happen but on both tweeters?  Call Klipsch and give them a piece of your mind(politely).  Maybe they will compensate you with a gift card to their online store.  Not much but good customer relations.  The speakers are keepers and I think you will realize that even more as time goes on.

Bill

We did kick around adding an amp in increase power.  Certainly still in the cards for now.  The Mrs. is sure turned on by the Cambridge so it will take some research.  Yes, these are keeper speakers!  Our first attempt at listening was last night when the final pieces came in.  Needless to say we didn't sleep well.  But today was different.  I pulled the Bose 5.1 system and we installed the Klipsch / Anthem in the living room.  Going to watch a movie later.  So far I would highly recommend these speakers.  Not top of the line but the best I've owned and I've been buying speakers for a long time.  I'm going to keep the idea of adding an amp to increase power.  This would be new to me so any suggestions are welcome!  And I will write to Klipsch.  I would surely want to know if I ran the business.

6 minutes ago, mwyse said:

We did kick around adding an amp in increase power.  Certainly still in the cards for now.   I'm going to keep the idea of adding an amp to increase power.  This would be new to me so any suggestions are welcome!  

Adding an amp is usually the cheapest way to add "good" power to a system, especially if you are willing to buy used.  I have been using outboard amplification with my HT rigs for at least 8.5 years and see no reason to ever go back to just an AVR.

Where are you located?

Bill

11 minutes ago, mwyse said:

I'm in Northern Colorado, Loveland.  Snowing and cold.  I just missed a chance to buy a McIntosh from a coworker but it was sold before we ramped up our audio. Any recommendations for an external amp?

Beautiful area of the globe especially at 13000ft.

If you are looking at just a stereo amp to drive your mains, then why not an Anthem MCA-20?  Very well built, plenty of power, and about as neutral sounding as you can get.  

Here is an older MCA-3 in Denver.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anthem-MCA-3-Series-II-3-Channel-Power-Amplifier-/331950959560?hash=item4d49d1abc8:g:8PwAAOSwgZ1Xv1UY

Or this Acurus 5-channel also in Denver area.

https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/5901126032.html

Bill