*cough* CES 2017 *cough*

Chad

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Tom Adams said:

Wow……almost 1.378 hours of my life I won’t get back reading this thread.  In the almost 40 years of “conversing” via the internet, the one thing that can be counted on is the hijack post followed by getting off into the weeds followed by the “my nose is bigger than yours” argument.  Alas (sigh) this thread has followed suit.

I’m beginning to think that maybe I should apply for a government grant to study this trait that compels folks to go down this road.  Is it a need to feel relevant?  To try and impress folks?  I dunno….but it sure seems that internet chat rooms/forums/whatever are fraught with this phenomenon.  At a certain point in internet history, some enterprising programmer decided to devise a mechanism for this tendency of forum posters and included the “personal message” option in the forum software program.  It’s just my speculation, but I think the programmer’s intent was to have folks that wanted to engage in this type of ***-for-tat, my nose is bigger than yours bickering to take it off-line, as it were.

So let’s see if we can make some sense of this thread.  The OP made note of some new products that Klipsch intended to bring to market.  Reading between the lines, the OP was open to feedback.  Some relevant feedback was offered and opined.  However, at some point, these new products apparently flew in the face of some folks that have very strong opinions (that’s an understatement Tom) amd notions and whatever about what Klipsch should do/build/market/whatever.  And….true to form…..we have the hi-jack and the de-evolution of the thread.

To be sure, I am NO WHERE NEAR the level of audio knowledge of many of you here.  And – quite franky – I really don’t care.  Honestly, the posts some of you pen is quite comical.  And having been here since Dr. Who was a snotty nose starving college student, I’ve seen my share of back handed compliments and flame wars.  It’s also the reason that I (and I suspect others) just stopped coming here because of the snootiness and condescending attitude that was, and apparently still is, pervasive among some of you “Audiopiles”.  I wanna pass along this gem that I adhered to over my 40+ years of being an Engineer and manager in the aviation industry and was hung on the wall of my office so my team of 20 Engineers could always see:

It takes absolutely, positively no talent nor intellect to criticize.  The genius in in the solution.

You know…..I was always amazed and puzzled by folks that had the courage of their convictions to opine ad nauseum, but 99% of them had no courage to not just run their mouths and actually go out and DO something – kinda like being a Monday morning quarterback.  Klipsch should do this and Klipsch should do that.  Klipsch is heading in the wrong direction.  And on & on.

Here’s an idea…..if you are so dam sure you are so dam enlighted, then might I suggest you quit wasting your time here and put your time into developing a better product?  Seriously…some of you sexual intellectuals seem to have all the answers.

And with this – I bid you adieu and ask that the forum admin please have pity on me and ban me from this forum.

Tom

Really hoping folks like you stick around!!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

To be sure, I am NO WHERE NEAR the level of audio knowledge of many of you here.  And – quite franky – I really don’t care.  Honestly, the posts some of you pen is quite comical.  And having been here since Dr. Who was a snotty nose starving college student, I’ve seen my share of back handed compliments and flame wars.  It’s also the reason that I (and I suspect others) just stopped coming here because of the snootiness and condescending attitude that was, and apparently still is, pervasive among some of you “Audiopiles”. 

Being a moderator is difficult, but this got me in the heart. It's something that has been weighing in my mind for a while now. 

I also remember these days and I wonder where common decency and respect has gone. I don't have a problem with anyone challenging another's opinion, but there's a respectful way to do it. 

@Tom Adams we want you and others back here. Your opinions and posts matter. 

• Like 1

^^^^^

Christy - 

This is the age of the interweb. Decency and respect are long gone. You never look at someone's face when you come at them, you hide behind a keyboard. Anyone is an expert when they declare they are, on any subject. Look at politics, news, the daily marches of "equality". I pity my Grandkids - this is the tip of the iceberg.

• Moderators
Just now, richieb said:

^^^^^

Christy - 

This is the age of the interweb. Decency and respect are long gone. You never look at someone's face when you come at them, you hide behind a keyboard. Anyone is an expert when they declare they are, on any subject. Look at politics, news, the daily marches of "equality". I pity my Grandkids - this is the tip of the iceberg.

I'm calling :pwk_bs:  I know some of these folks, I've met them...I've paid for their lunch/dinner. They shared our hotel room in Hope, AR. I expect more decency and respect. Whether in person or on the internet. NO DIFFERENCE!!!  

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

I'm calling :pwk_bs:  I know some of these folks, I've met them...I've paid for their lunch/dinner. They shared our hotel room in Hope, AR. I expect more decency and respect. Whether in person or on the internet. NO DIFFERENCE!!!  

I thought what happened in Hope, stayed in Hope?  Well the bag is out of that cat.

I think things are looking good for KGI on many fronts.

Bringing back Fortes.  Venturing out a little bit with 15s and getting in with vinyl resurgence by offering MM and MC inputs.

Great looking headphones.

Whole house audio components.  Products that are appealing to kids, women, etc.

The stuff the Roy is working on in the Bone works.  

A very bright looking future.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

I thought what happened in Hope, stayed in Hope?  Well the bag is out of that cat.

I think things are looking good for KGI on many fronts.

Bringing back Fortes.  Venturing out a little bit with 15s and getting in with vinyl resurgence by offering MM and MC inputs.

Great looking headphones.

Whole house audio components.  Products that are appealing to kids, women, etc.

The stuff the Roy is working on in the Bone works.  

A very bright looking future.

I could not agree more. Lots of awesome stuff happening for Klipsch!

Just now, Mallette said:

"Likes" are really new here.   Frankly, I don't give a damn.  I'd be concerned if I had too many.

Dave

Too much fun here.

I really have a hard time remembering where im at on this forum.

I "Like" visiting the BS forum, you guy's talk a lot of chit, that's cool, im just not here for that.

Not that i dont mind peakin in once in a wile :emotion-21:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, minermark said:

I "Like" visiting the BS forum, you guy's talk a lot of chit, that's cool, im just not here for that.

Yes we do, my friend.  And we've been doing it for many, many years before you showed up.  Before you judge what happens here realize that.  I have utterly different opinions from many in this place, but I respect each and every one I've jousted with over the years.  Disagreement REALLY does not imply disrespect, at least IMHO. 

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtel's wife said:

Being a moderator is difficult, but this got me in the heart. It's something that has been weighing in my mind for a while now. 

I also remember these days and I wonder where common decency and respect has gone. I don't have a problem with anyone challenging another's opinion, but there's a respectful way to do it. 

@Tom Adams we want you and others back here. Your opinions and posts matter. 

Christy again - 

Relative to Tom exit the state of KS runs an ad for the Lottery. Of course they assume people with nice Could have bought them with lotto winnings, in this case parking an expensive car front and center so all can see with the catch phrase - showing everyone your "automobile domination". I think many on the forum practice the same - making sure their in depth knowledge of all things PWK and Klipsch shows their "audio domination". 

On 1/28/2017 at 9:47 AM, Jainbaby said:

No where did I say the Fifteens would have no bass.  They have plenty of bass (so far, early tuning still).

I was just thinking - if we're really using different words to describe the same thing, then perhaps we can throw some numbers on the table? When I hear low mass 15" driver in a sealed cabinet of that size, then I'm expecting an acoustic F3 somewhere between 50Hz and 70Hz, which is basically lascala territory. It's interesting that PWK noted 50Hz in that article @dwilawyer posted, so I'm probably not too far off.

Is it too early to release numbers like that?

Is it possible you've achieved better THD numbers at the expense of increased frequency modulation distortion? PWK had a lot to say on that subject...

On 1/28/2017 at 10:20 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Hmmmm. The forte III uses a. 3" voice coil, blah blah blah.....

The JBL 2226H uses a 4" voice coil and extends beyond 1kHz...

https://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2226.pdf

That's what, a 25 year old design?

I'm sure there are plenty more examples - I hope it's not poor form to mention a JBL driver here.

Do they count as "low mass" drivers?

8 hours ago, DrWho said:

I was just thinking - if we're really using different words to describe the same thing, then perhaps we can throw some numbers on the table? When I hear low mass 15" driver in a sealed cabinet of that size, then I'm expecting an acoustic F3 somewhere between 50Hz and 70Hz, which is basically lascala territory. It's interesting that PWK noted 50Hz in that article @dwilawyer posted, so I'm probably not too far off.

Is it too early to release numbers like that?

Is it possible you've achieved better THD numbers at the expense of increased frequency modulation distortion? PWK had a lot to say on that subject...

Too early but the cabinet is ported...I believe they may go lower than La Scala.  Let Chris do more work and I'll get you some numbers.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jainbaby said:

Too early but the cabinet is ported...I believe they may go lower than La Scala.  Let Chris do more work and I'll get you some numbers.

Is this Chris you mentioned senior acoustics engineer? Nice guy. I talked with him last week and he said to stop by and check out some of your new products. He usually doesn't talk about his work much, so the new stuff must be pretty cool. He would much rather talk about what I do or talk F1 racing

9 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Is this Chris you mentioned senior acoustics engineer? Nice guy. I talked with him last week and he said to stop by and check out some of your new products. He usually doesn't talk about his work much, so the new stuff must be pretty cool. He would much rather talk about what I do or talk F1 racing

Yes same Chris.  I tried to hug him last week after I heard the passive Fifteen...didn't work but I got a handshake LOL.  

F1?  Huge Motorsports fan here...Mille Miglia 3 times, 4th time coming up in May!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jainbaby said:

Yes same Chris.  I tried to hug him last week after I heard the passive Fifteen...didn't work but I got a handshake LOL.  

F1?  Huge Motorsports fan here...Mille Miglia 3 times, 4th time coming up in May!

Mille Miglia huh? That's on my bucket list. I usually attend a race here in Indy in May. 

Just curious, did you move to Indy? Ever been to the 500?

Just now, Ceptorman said:

Mille Miglia huh? That's on my bucket list. I usually attend a race here in Indy in May. 

Just curious, did you move to Indy? Ever been to the 500?

It deserves to be on your bucket list!  Here are two stories I wrote about the Mille Miglia if you are interested...short reads-but guessing you can sense I'm passionate about it.

http://enthusia.st/mille-miglia-2014-why-i-followed-the-race/

http://enthusia.st/mille-miglia-2015-part-1-no-map-no-seatbelts-no-sense-of-direction1000-miles/

I still live in NJ, but have a condo in Broad Ripple.  Haven't been to the 500 yet, but no chance I miss it this year!

• Like 1

• Chad unfeatured this topic
  • Chad unpinned this topic