K400 dimensions?

Herc

Herc-- A picture sounds great. please email it to me.

I had found a web page as a link on a thread here from a gentlman who installed 511B's into his khorns. It was a bit of work as outlined by the pictures but a clean install and the grill went on to cover it all. very nice, and an inexpensive sulution if the 511B will do what your looking for.

It also seems for an even simpler test to to install vanes into the K400. If the horn is metal. You need only find a good welder with a light foot and have the vanes tig 'd in.

A while back DJK had done some K400 horns in a plastic I believe. He had different throat size available at that time and it might be possible for vanes to be installed in those horns. I have not spoke to him but some of you guys probably know him well.

Bill

Mr. Martinelli,

I looked at your site, and judging by the pics of the horns you built...there may be no need for struts in the mouth of a k-400 style of derivative. It APPEARS from the pics on your site that there is more than enough "body" to the horns to provide the structural rigidity that a horn of that width requires without the need for the vanes...but I could be wrong on that. My basis for addition of the vanes was in ease of home-building them...using less body thickness and application of the vanes to enhance the vertical panels' tortional rigidity, which would reduce the threat of resonances involved. You do very nice work, by the way. Smile.gif

By the way...the original K-400 horn lens was cast in an aluminum alloy...in two halves that were joined together. Later on, it was cast in ONE PIECE...with a parting line on its outer edges. This latter casting method utilized TWO separate core pieces, that were glued together prior to being inserted into the mold. If you look into the mouth of a metal K-400, you will see about half-way down to its throat where the two parts of the core were joined. I believe that if this "core joint" is diligently sanded smooth, it will enhance the performance of the horn lens somewhat. I have also found that application of a silencing medium(many use rope caulk) about 4 inches back from the flange of the horn lens to about 8 inches back, will be a more ideal position than way up forward by the flange...and I intend to give that rubberized tool coating a try in accomplishing this on mine. Just a thought or two about the original K-400 lens here! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 09-24-2002 at 09:11 AM

HDBR- dont you feel if Bill used his method of building a k400 horn copy that the large wood top and bottoms would have too much resonance? Im thinking of laminating 1/8" hardboard(with epoxy) with wood veneer on exposed visual sides and fibreglass encasement on other.For a total thickness of about 3/8" at least.Might be a good idea to add layer of metal within laminations.

FWIW, the older K5's had three struts in the throat area of the horn, made of thin wood and glued to the

fibreglass laminations. My '48 K5 has these, but by

'54 they apparently were not used any longer.

I can't really hear a difference between them.

khorn58 had some good pictures posted about April and May '02 but I haven't seen anything from him recently.

I found the pics in the archives and saved them. When the forum is back up I will post a good pic of the '51 K5 throat with struts.

A search of posts by khorn58 will lead to several threads discussing the differences between the K5 and K400. I agree the K5 sounds better to me. (both with and without the struts in the throat).

This message has been edited by k2dx on 09-26-2002 at 02:50 AM

Herc,

Mr. Martinelli is using multiple thin laminations of grain, ten cross grain, then grain, then cross-grain...basically he is making plywood as he lays up his horns, from what I understand...and he may be using thin sheets of aluminum(1/32"?) within his lamination layers...If that is the case, then judging by the pics on his website, and looking at the thickness of his horn bodies, I would imagine that there would be more than enough torsional rigidity and body to them to negate the NEED for the vanes/struts in eliminating any unwanted resonances...but I could be wrong about this whole thing!!

It is not extremely difficult to build something similar to a K-400 out of wood. But it ain't easy, either. A photo of my first effort is attached.

My goal was to build a K-Horn without factory parts. So buying a real K-400 was not in my mind. (The bass horn was per the SpeakerLab plans.) Seems nutso, but such was my determination.

I'd be happy to correspond with anyone who wants to build the midrange.

The starting point was PWK's article about the K-400. That gave mouth dimensions and flare rate. That allows a calculation of area at any point.

Also, Dr. Bruce Edgar, in SpeakerBuilder, had described the technique of using flat pieces of plywood for the top and bottom surfaces for his tractrix midrange. He used a jig to hold the top and bottom pieces and constructed the sides with short lenghts of wood pieces, then filled them with puddy and sanded them. I call this the popcicle stick technique. I used that on another project.

Let me point out that the top, bottom, and sides of the K-400 follow an exponential curve, I think. Yet with Bruce's design, and mine, the top and bottom are linear. So the positions of the side walls have to be recaluculated to maintain an exponential area, in my case, or a tratrix, for his.

An issue in construction was whether I wanted to use Bruce's popcicle technique. Here, I used several layers of 1/8 inch plywood with yellow glue between the pieces. While the top and bottom pieces were on the jig, I pulled them into place with drywall screws (with washers) into the top and bottom pieces. You can see the puddy on the edges, covering the marks. There was a lot of triming necessary.

A more difficult woodworking issue arose from the fact that the driver I used had a 7/8 inch diameter. The Klipsch drivers are similar. That is an EV-1828 in the picture. Dr. Bruce didn't have to deal with it.

My solution was to use plywood down to an area of 1 square inch from the mouth. Then something different to mate to the driver. (Note, this is similar to the K-5 were PWK uses a cast metal mating device.) I made up donuts from plywood with hole saws and rasped out a flare. The ply donuts were difficult to work with. The driver thread, itself, was used as a tap to mate it.

This matching section was a bear and I didn't like the kludgy nature. In the second effort, I used three pieces of glued up 1 x 3 poplar to form a block, bored it with a 7/8 inch spade drill and rasped to mate with the 1 x 1 thoat of the plywood bell.

Also, Parts Express had a plastic device to mate the compression driver to a 1.4 inch diameter bolt on throat. So I adapated that to give a better screw on mount. (Sorry, no pictures just now.)

The assembly showed in the photos tested well. I can't say that it was worth the effort over buying a real K-400 or K-401. However, if you have the disease of, "I want to do it myself", it can be done.

Gil

post-2552-138192453791_thumb.jpg

• 18 years later...
On 9/29/2002 at 1:05 AM, WMcD said:

It is not extremely difficult to build something similar to a K-400 out of wood. But it ain't easy, either. A photo of my first effort is attached.

My goal was to build a K-Horn without factory parts. So buying a real K-400 was not in my mind. (The bass horn was per the SpeakerLab plans.) Seems nutso, but such was my determination.

I'd be happy to correspond with anyone who wants to build the midrange.

The starting point was PWK's article about the K-400. That gave mouth dimensions and flare rate. That allows a calculation of area at any point.

Also, Dr. Bruce Edgar, in SpeakerBuilder, had described the technique of using flat pieces of plywood for the top and bottom surfaces for his tractrix midrange. He used a jig to hold the top and bottom pieces and constructed the sides with short lenghts of wood pieces, then filled them with puddy and sanded them. I call this the popcicle stick technique. I used that on another project.

Let me point out that the top, bottom, and sides of the K-400 follow an exponential curve, I think. Yet with Bruce's design, and mine, the top and bottom are linear. So the positions of the side walls have to be recaluculated to maintain an exponential area, in my case, or a tratrix, for his.

An issue in construction was whether I wanted to use Bruce's popcicle technique. Here, I used several layers of 1/8 inch plywood with yellow glue between the pieces. While the top and bottom pieces were on the jig, I pulled them into place with drywall screws (with washers) into the top and bottom pieces. You can see the puddy on the edges, covering the marks. There was a lot of triming necessary.

A more difficult woodworking issue arose from the fact that the driver I used had a 7/8 inch diameter. The Klipsch drivers are similar. That is an EV-1828 in the picture. Dr. Bruce didn't have to deal with it.

My solution was to use plywood down to an area of 1 square inch from the mouth. Then something different to mate to the driver. (Note, this is similar to the K-5 were PWK uses a cast metal mating device.) I made up donuts from plywood with hole saws and rasped out a flare. The ply donuts were difficult to work with. The driver thread, itself, was used as a tap to mate it.

This matching section was a bear and I didn't like the kludgy nature. In the second effort, I used three pieces of glued up 1 x 3 poplar to form a block, bored it with a 7/8 inch spade drill and rasped to mate with the 1 x 1 thoat of the plywood bell.

Also, Parts Express had a plastic device to mate the compression driver to a 1.4 inch diameter bolt on throat. So I adapated that to give a better screw on mount. (Sorry, no pictures just now.)

The assembly showed in the photos tested well. I can't say that it was worth the effort over buying a real K-400 or K-401. However, if you have the disease of, "I want to do it myself", it can be done.

Gil

post-2552-138192453791_thumb.jpg

hi,

just buy k55v and love to build k400 for them. do you have the k400 plans?

thanks

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/196075-k-401-horns/

That link has more info on building.  

One "issue" arises from the use of flat ply for the top and bottom walls.  The expansion area can mimic that of the K-400, which is good.  But the shape of the side wills is not the same as the K-400.  Therefore I suspect the directional pattern will not be the same.  Maybe close enough but worth pointing out. 

Further, the K-400 has a smooth transition in cross-section from rectangular at the mouth to round at the throat.  Perhaps a small issue.

WMcD

• Like 1

• 9 months later...