Where do you run your tone controls?

mr clean

The way I see it, my receiver was not made for my speakers and my speakers were not made for my receiver. If you run it flat and it doesn't sound right, use tone controls to fix it. I have an old Sony integrated amp hooked up to my belles, I have the bass almost maxed out and the treble a little below flat. This combination sounds very accurate.

If I a+b receivers, I run them flat. By the way, my marantz 2238b sounds identical to my Lafayette LR-9090.

Bottom line, start flat, listen to the music, and make adjustments as necessary.

• Like 4

Where do I run my tone controls? Wherever I feel like it. They are mine after all! But generally off. I really try to tweak speaker positioning, sub levels and crossover points first. I will use them for very low level listening, Fletcher/Munson effect and all.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2017 at 7:46 AM, John Albright said:

There is nothing wrong with using tone controls to help correct a room/speaker/recording deficiency. 

I don't use them because I went so long without them I didn't realize my Integra had them for a long time. 

I agree.  Most of the recordings, speakers, and rooms are not flat, so why playback flat?

A little goes a long way, though.

I usually use Audyssey FLAT, which applies about 4 dB boost to my Khorns at 16K in my room and a mild cut in the bass (for example).  With most music disks, I use 0 (flat) on the treble control, and flat to + 6 dB on the bass control.

Some wonderful performances on older vinyl disks have the bass shaved off severely. so, for them, I've used much more bass boost, providing there is not recorded on rumble.

See Chris A's work on "remastering" on the forum.  Someday I'll try it. 

Blu-rays usually don't need much help, but I have turned up the bass on some.

I seldom use tone controls, but when I do, I DO NOT turn anything UP, I just turn DOWN what is needed to equalize...if I need more bass, I just leave the bass flat, turn down everything else, and increase the volume a bit...the same goes for treble and midrange "boosts"...turn down everything else, instead...and boost the volume a bit.  That way the amp is not being overworked, and clipping is never an issue.  It is the way I was "raised" to do things.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is blasphemy but I have a graphic equalizer in my system. I snicker a little when this subject comes up because there seems to always be two groups. One group says that tone controls are not to be used. This strikes me as funny that some folks think that ALL music media falls into one category that needs no sonic playback adjustment. I disagree.

I have an old SAE equalizer to make minor adjustments to the CDs that need it. 

BTW... yes the speakers are too close together but that is the only way I am able to place them in this room for now.

0g5T5XI.jpg

• Like 2

I am reminded of the great Italian GP driver, Tazio Nuvolari, when he was asked, by his mechanic after winning the '32 or '33 Mille Miglia GP, "Oh, Great One, did you know you had no brakes?". His reply, roughly translated, "It's an Alfa Romeo... it doesn't need no stink'in brakes!".

With that in mind, as we are all using Klipsch speakers - and they were designed to not need frequency response skewing - I would  say to use the direct or bypass of the tone controls, with speaker placement adjustments necessary if the set-up doesn't sound 'right'.

My music-only system is comprised of an Onkyo C-7030 CDP, an Emotiva A-100 BasX 50 Wpc amp with just a volume control and headphone jack, and a pair of corner located Heresys. It sounds great to my chronologically-challenged hearing (I am 68 - and I've enjoyed a lot of loud music and noise in my life.).

Oh... I've driven an Alfa Romeo 2000 Berlina (4dr sedan) with no brakes... not fun! (I didn't fully tighten a rear bleed screw...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gottajam said:

I know this is blasphemy but I have a graphic equalizer in my system.

Nothing wrong with that.

2 hours ago, gottajam said:

I snicker a little when this subject comes up because there seems to always be two groups. One group says that tone controls are not to be used. This strikes me as funny that some folks think that ALL music media falls into one category that needs no sonic playback adjustment. I disagree.

I could not agree more.  Small rooms can get loaded bass so why not dial it back to your(my) liking.  Or "correct" playback by adding a tad of treble to balance the response.  If the end result is great sound to your(my) ears, who cares how you get there.

Bill

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 5:52 PM, Schu said:

I drive with the throttle not the brakes...

Here in C.A. (Central Alabama) we have lots of hills - you'll need brakes - or a great clutch and good synchro's in the box.

I've considered the tone control question more carefully and decided it doesn't matter what I like... it's an individual decision. Use 'em if you have 'em... and want to!

On 1/26/2017 at 3:56 PM, gottajam said:

I know this is blasphemy but I have a graphic equalizer in my system. I snicker a little when this subject comes up because there seems to always be two groups. One group says that tone controls are not to be used. This strikes me as funny that some folks think that ALL music media falls into one category that needs no sonic playback adjustment. I disagree.

I have an old SAE equalizer to make minor adjustments to the CDs that need it. 

BTW... yes the speakers are too close together but that is the only way I am able to place them in this room for now.

A good 2 ch. system should not be without a graphic EQ IMHO. Considering the other gear, they are cheap and gives you some control to tailor the sound how you like it.  Since most rooms are not perfect, you may not being hearing things the way the sound engineers intended.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2017 at 10:33 PM, LarryC said:

Flat -- my preamp doesn't have tone controls, and I like it the way it sounds as is.

I haven't had a preamp with tone controls since my long-ago Marantz 7C.  I believe most higher-line electronics haven't had them for years.

Ditto loudness controls.  However, some vintage pre's and integrated amplifiers seem to sound better and fuller with the loudness on.

My Audio Research and Conrad Johnson pre amps have no tone controls. Maybe I played with tone controls on my H H Scott LK 48 15 years ago a bit.

I dont think anyone is saying you shouldn't have tone augmentation,we're saying we prefer flat settings.

This correct vs incorrect view that has proliferated the fourm lately, specially those supposedly backed up with pseudo science, is quite troubling. 

Ones probably preference is just that... a preference. There is no right or wrong, just choices.

No one hears precisely the same... and using "optimal" set up as a basis doesn't take into account physical issues and personal preferences.

I choose to run flat because adding tonal controls seems to flatten the image in my system... adding some minor room treatments has helped dramatically in areas where tones might havebeen used in the past to overcome perceived recording shortcomings.

I find this flat idea to be beyond silly and lifeless.  Unless it did sound good for that one artist..  Every room, speakers, and artist sounds different.. Of course not everyone likes rock and metal. So they don't want it to sound like I do..  How could one EQ setting fit all styles of music.. The whole point in listing to music is to enjoy it.. And I want to relive and feel what it feels like at a concert.  I want to feel and hear the deep rich bass.. Even at low volumes but not dronwed  out the mids and highs. 

• Like 1