Setting RP-280F'S to large.

Gandalf007

A sub is almost always going to add "that much."  It's a single driver-type enclosure that is designed to play low and deep.  A tower speaker is not designed to do that.  While the 280F is a decent speaker, and digs, it won't dig as much as a sub - and I have to say that adding a sub is essential in a surround configuration.

• Like 3

I totally agree that adding a sub is very necessary.  However, having lived in apartments/condos/townhomes, they do add that thump that can often tick off the neighbors.

You are missing some very nice sound without that low end bass, but maybe you are keeping your neighbors happier.  Once I added one I talked to my neighbors about what they felt was acceptable and only turned it on then.  (for the most part)  

Now that I live in a house with the Sub in the basement, my wife gives me the neighbor treatments sometimes..."Turn it down!!!"  I can get away with it when she is watching a movie with me.

• Like 1

I just so happen to have the RP-280f's...WOOOOO me!  :D  And because I am obsessed with sound, a big sub.  Let me tell you, the sub really adds tons.  Not just in power of sound, but allows the RP-280's to do what they do best.  Just because I have a 15" sub, doesn't mean I need to use the total pure shaking power of it...(OK, busted, I totally do almost every day.) 

In all seriousness - Fidelity and separation of sounds becomes more clear when the towers are relieved of having to dig deep.  You experience will be much better if you can find a good sub.  I recommend the R115-SW.  LOL, just in case you need to test the construction durability of your building. 

Take care!

13 minutes ago, busht4169 said:

Fidelity and separation of sounds becomes more clear when the towers are relieved of having to dig deep.  You experience will be much better if you can find a good sub. 

Couldn't have said it better.

• Like 1