Forte III

oldred

• Klipsch Employees
1 minute ago, jwc said:

Ok.  I failed.  I was trying to find somewhere else that midrange was used.

One last question and I will quit the piddle.

What is the size of the throat on the midhorn?

Man I hope this comes out before summer.

klipsch speakers.... :)

rf7 commercial speakers

1"  why are you asking these questions?  already set to "upgrade"?

• Like 2

LOL.  No.  These will be untouched. I was just trying to find a similar horn and driver on the pro line if it was there.

It was all in curiosity only.  Again, I would buy these without a demo and would buy w/o knowing specs.  I've long endured a three-way home speaker by Klipsch with a tractrix midrange.  Its a no brainer for me.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:47 AM, Dawson's Ridge said:

This is the key point that needs to be explored and confirmed, how good is the new Forte III midrange Tractrix horn compared to current  product, especially Heritage, and new RF-7 III?   

Thank you DR. 

This is somewhat in response to you saying I had missed your point and mine that I would not second guess Roy.

My thought is that Roy and Paul made changes in the quest for better performance.  Nonetheless, it is intrusive to demand more explanation.

It is similar to high school or college professors who assign an essay.  Compare and contrast this and that and give a full explanation for all your conclusions - -  while I stand on one foot -- and I have no knowledge of the subject -- but I'll grade you anyway.

DR,  I'm sure you didn't mean it this way but it is, IMHO, intrusive and disrespectful to Roy.  So I cringe a bit -- only saying that I will not second guess.

It also suggests that Roy should critique earlier models. 

Goodness.  Ask a mother to critique all her children pointing out their shortcomings. 

I'm not hostile to you but these are my thoughts.

WMcD

• Like 2

• Klipsch Employees
17 hours ago, jwc said:

LOL.  No.  These will be untouched. I was just trying to find a similar horn and driver on the pro line if it was there.

It was all in curiosity only.  Again, I would buy these without a demo and would buy w/o knowing specs.  I've long endured a three-way home speaker by Klipsch with a tractrix midrange.  Its a no brainer for me.

driver and horn of the kpt-1260

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, WMcD said:

Thank you DR. 

This is somewhat in response to you saying I had missed your point and mine that I would not second guess Roy.

My thought is that Roy and Paul made changes in the quest for better performance.  Nonetheless, it is intrusive to demand more explanation.

It is similar to high school or collage professors who assign an essay.  Compare and contrast this and that and give a full explanation for all your conclusions - -  while I stand on one foot -- and I have no knowledge of the subject -- but I'll grade you anyway.

DR,  I'm sure you didn't mean it this way but it is, IMHO, intrusive and disrespectful to Roy.  So I cringe a bit -- only saying that I will not second guess.

It also suggests that Roy should critique earlier models. 

Goodness.  Ask a mother to critique all her children pointing out their shortcomings. 

I'm not hostile to you but these are my thoughts.

WMcD

This!!!  Yes!!! 

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:29 PM, Chief bonehead said:

hi gil.  how are you?  you coming to the pilgrimage?

adventure...hmmm.  i designed a proto horn as a new project had been proposed; the heresy x.  first generation tractrix horn.  i always loved the sound of the forte so i wanted a similar voicing.  i had the plant cut a motorboard that had a cutout for this proto horn.  they built up this proto  and i began to play.  i wanted to study this horn and wanted data to discuss with paul.  i finally did a crossover to see what coorealtion the sound had with data.  i was listening one day and our national sales manager came in and decided to listen with me.  i was doing an a/b listening session.  he was surprised at the difference in sound.  he asked me what horn that was and i just said a proto.  about a week later he was back in the offce and he wanted to listen again.  one thing lead to another and the sales manager said why dont we use this horn in the x project?  i didnt want to.  i explained that i still had to talk to paul about my findings and other tidbits to see what paul thought.  paul was curious as to correlation and that started a years long path to get/learn the language to satisfy pauls curiosity but that is another (long) story.  he agreed but i kept telling the sales guys that this horn was NOT ready.  well it went into the heresy x project, later called the quartet.  it was then decided that we should update the forte and chorus; another story.  the reason we didnt do a tractrix tweeter was that i didnt have one designed, LOL!  

i hope that answers your question gil.  if not ask me and i will try.

with the forte iii, i saw the opportunity to update with as many tricks as i could...i am convinced that paul would approve.  

Roy, thank you for the greeting. 

I may not be able to attend the pilgrimage.  Work is circling the drain.

Actually, you did not address my subject.  It was about how Klipsch transitioned from the K-77 being the main tweeter to their own designs.  Good job of course.  Maybe before your time.  Not a big thing, so don't worry.

You did though give an explanation of how Paul passed on knowledge to you.  Much more important than the tweeter issue.  I recognized the situation in my own work.  The much older boss has an annoying habit of having universal knowledge from years of experience and challenging my understanding and almost always being right.  We have much mutual respect, as you and Paul did.

Best,

WMcD 

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
26 minutes ago, WMcD said:

Roy, thank you for the greeting. 

I may not be able to attend the pilgrimage.  Work is circling the drain.

Actually, you did not address my subject.  It was about how Klipsch transitioned from the K-77 being the main tweeter to their own designs.  Good job of course.  Maybe before your time.  Not a big thing, so don't worry.

You did though give an explanation of how Paul passed on knowledge to you.  Much more important than the tweeter issue.  I recognized the situation in my own work.  The much older boss has an annoying habit of having universal knowledge from years of experience and challenging my understanding and almost always being right.  We have much mutual respect, as you and Paul did.

Best,

WMcD 

it was before my time.  when i got to klipsch, they were already using tweeters that were not k-77 for the heresy ii and cornwall ii.  in the process of looking for more efficient tweeters over the years, we redesigned the phase plug and had designed a modified tractrix tweeter that were eventually used in the herseyiii and cornwall iii.  and now the forte iii.

Hey Chief.

Here is my perfect condition, bone stock Forte II in my bedroom.  I'm sure you have already thought ahead and created an "update package" to retrofit and convert our II's to III's.

cheers:P

jc

forte2-MB.jpg

On 1/7/2017 at 1:48 PM, Chief bonehead said:

at his age (late 80's), to still have an open mind to make changes and advance amazed me.

I'm confused by this - and not at all being judgmental either. Why would Paul being such an open-minded person have an emotional attachment to outdated design philosophies? Isn't every engineer (including Paul) elated at the thought of getting a second chance on an old design, and incorporating all of life's experiences into the next version? Wouldn't it be honoring of Paul and his engineering brilliance to incorporate as much experience as possible into every design?

I'm often told I'm still young and don't understand nostalgia yet, but isn't there a deeper nostalgia in understanding the process and philosophy behind an object, rather than the object itself? I get the impression that if PWK was building a speaker today, that it'd look a lot like the skunkworks Jubilee that Roy put together. Would PWK be building something else?

Btw, I'm super excited about the Forte III. I finally have a new speaker from Klipsch that I can recommend without apology. The Forte II is definitely in my top 3 favorites from Klipsch. I'm sure the Forte III is gonna move up into that list.

Where will they be on sale? And where can I send people to go demo them?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DrWho said:

I'm confused by this - and not at all being judgmental either. Why would Paul being such an open-minded person have an emotional attachment to outdated design philosophies? Isn't every engineer (including Paul) elated at the thought of getting a second chance on an old design, and incorporating all of life's experiences into the next version? Wouldn't it be honoring of Paul and his engineering brilliance to incorporate as much experience as possible into every design?

I'm often told I'm still young and don't understand nostalgia yet, but isn't there a deeper nostalgia in understanding the process and philosophy behind an object, rather than the object itself? I get the impression that if PWK was building a speaker today, that it'd look a lot like the skunkworks Jubilee that Roy put together. Would PWK be building something else?

Yes, I was waiting for someone to bring this up as I feel the same way. Where would we be today if all businesses acted this way, driving model T's out of fear of disrespecting Henry Ford? I did not know Paul Klipsch but I would have to imagine that if he were alive today and in the "Chiefs" shoes he would certainly be developing speakers of today and not yesteryear.

• Like 1