Forte III

oldred

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I had this same problem with my last pair of forte II's. All I did was place a 1" block under the front edge of the speakers to slightly angle them up so I was staring straight down the barrel of the mid horn and problem solved. Yes, it made a huge difference.

Personally, I would refrain from doing this. Two reasons. Roy Delgado has previously made two key and related statements about the advantages of the midrange Tractrix 90x60 horn.

First, Roy says it provides maximum transfer of sound energy constantly directed at the listening position (LP). Pointing the speaker towards the ceiling would partially overt this design feature.

Second, Roy prefers a 90x60 Tractrix horn to reduce ceiling reflections. He has said this is the primary reason why he doesn't like round horns. Further, and in support of his position, studies of concert hall listening quality/perception are influenced by two main criteria, sound level intensity and lateral dispersion.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dawson's Ridge said:

Personally, I would refrain from doing this. Two reasons. Roy Delgado has previously made two key and related statements about the advantages of the midrange Tractrix 90x60 horn.

First, Roy says it provides maximum transfer of sound energy constantly directed at the listening position (LP). Pointing the speaker towards the ceiling would partially overt this design feature.

Second, Roy prefers a 90x60 Tractrix horn to reduce ceiling reflections. He has said this is the primary reason why he doesn't like round horns. Further, and in support of his position, studies of concert hall listening quality/perception are influenced by two main criteria, sound level intensity and lateral dispersion.   

Strategically placed absorption panels are a good way to combat this issue as well.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dawson's Ridge said:

I had to do this because I swapped out a pair of forte II's for a pair of RF-5's where the horn is at the top and perfect height for my listening position. When I plugged in the forte II's at first blush they sounded really, really bad, no highs to speak of and the sound was muffled compared to the Rf-5's. I knew this wasn't right and immediately noticed the mid horn on the forte II was sitting a good foot or more below the RF-5 horn. I tilted the fortes back with a 1" block which pretty much aimed the horns about dead center of my back wall. It "fixed" my issues I was having, the speakers sounded fantastic once I got them set right like I knew they should. The room I had them in is way too small for that slight angle to cause any ceiling reflection problems. Even if it did create some sort of new problem it was far less obvious than the one it fixed.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, jwc said:

They are "pulled out" from the wall about 3 feet.  Maybe it is just because there are some CF3 or CF4's behind them.

I hope that I will be able to get the right sound 1 1/2 - 2 ft from wall.

@jwc we moved them further back after I took the pic. Sounded even better...

I will post more pics when we get back this evening...including close up of "the mumps"!

• Moderators
Just now, ricktate said:

What songs did you listen to?  Some people have all the luck,,lol. Did you try a little farther apart? 

Yes, further back and a little further apart.

I'll get a sample list of what we listened to and post it tonight when we get back from working on museum this evening. Bonnie Rait...of course, one of Roy's favorites to use in voicing. It's a wide variety on the test tracks...it puts the speakers through the paces. 

@jwc we used test tracks that you are familiar with from Jubfests. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/20/2017 at 9:30 AM, ricktate said:

What songs did you listen to?  Some people have all the luck,,lol. Did you try a little farther apart? 

Many songs over 3 hours total, and watched a movie with them,  and yes we did move them a couple of feet further apart but no closer to the wall. (other stuff was there) The sound was better than I was expecting considering the size of the forte's. To me even the bass was improved which I didn't expect, I knew the mid and tweeter would be different. The new midrange to me sounds clearer and cleaner, with more highs from the tweeter. I say this because my high frequency hearing is not great after 59 years of wear and tear but I could understand the words in the songs better which was a surprise. I guess both mid and high drivers on top being Titanium helps with that, I love the voicing, very live sounding and forward but with really good bass. I didn't know they were going to use a different driver for the bass also, so it's totally redone including the weight on the drone on the rear of the speaker and the tuning of both bass components.

I was expecting an improvement, but I didn't expect this much of a change, I hate to say this but it kind of makes our original and ll versions we use for Ht sound  kind of weak.  :(  I now know what Roy was saying when he said if you like the voicing of the Ki 396 you will like the new forte's.

Edit; I have no idea of what the grill's look like, when we snatched them from the plant they were sitting there without them so they were taking like that, we were only going to listen to them anyway, not decorate.

A little closer pic of the front horns

speakers_forte_lll-4.JPG

speakers_forte_lll-1.JPG

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 1/20/2017 at 5:30 AM, LeeW said:

Production, Demo , Beta testing, Loaner ......? 

Uh yes that's it. :o

Yes just loaners, Roy is just more or less beta testing in different rooms and listening positions in his house, and it gave us along with Kevin H and his wife a chance to hear them. 

He wouldn't let me take them when we left yesterday, guess there are rules. :angry2:

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Budman said:

i'm no expert but shouldn't there be a set of forte 11's along side to compare

maybe cornwalls or heresys or chorus

Yes there should be, but it was just an accident, we happened to be at Roy's house when he brought them home. It wasn't an official listening thing we just happened to be in the right place at the right time.  We have original and forte ll's at home but not being able to switch back and forth and going by memory is not the best way. But I will say, I can guarantee my forte ll's do not sound anything like this. I wish they did, if they did I might listen to them more and not just for movies.