Forte III

oldred

23 hours ago, dtel said:

To me even the bass was improved which I didn't expect

23 hours ago, dtel said:

I didn't know they were going to use a different driver for the bass also, so it's totally redone including the weight on the drone on the rear of the speaker and the tuning of both bass components.

I was expecting an improvement, but I didn't expect this much of a change, I hate to say this but it kind of makes our original and ll versions we use for Ht sound  kind of weak.  :( 

Very interesting.

I've always appreciated my forte II for their excellent bass response, a remarkable juggling act of extension, sensitivity, cab size, and tight, well defined bass.  Is it possible that the relative weakness in bass in your old fortes is due to your comparably huge room, and that you have your fortes perched up on big bass bins, off the floor and away from walls?

Also curious as to extension...original forte, forte II spec 32 (I get that sort of extension in room here, easily), but Roy said the III's only go to 38 hz.  Typo?

Better start saving those ducats for the III and some Fifteens.

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Ski Bum said:

Is it possible that the relative weakness in bass in your old fortes is due to your comparably huge room, and that you have your fortes perched up on big bass bins, off the floor and away from walls?

Exactly, we only use them on occasion for HT. When listening to the Forte lll's and really being impressed, the first thing I said was I really need to put mine back on the floor in a similar position and listen again.  It has been so long since we did that it really needs to be done. I still have no doubt the progression from the 2 version to the 3 is much bigger than the original to the second version was. no doubt

Ours are a few inches from the side walls but about 3' to 3.5 feet from the back wall, and on top the other bass bins. I think this would affect the bass, and they are only used for multi channel with a sub so I was not worried about the bass the way they are used. I need to get another listen to them for 2 ch positioned better, just as a reminder.

I did the same thing about a year ago with the 402 horn, after more than 5 years with it I thought I really need to go back and listen to the top half of a Khorn/LaScala with bass bins used to compare to the 402. I set the top half of a DIY split LaScala, AA crossovers in place of the 402 just as a reminder. Doing this was good, it had been years and I needed to rejudge our move just to make sure there was not some newness emotion or excitement involved making the change. Sometimes a new sound is perceived as better but over time ends up not holding up, in this case, if anything the better sound was more pronounced after going back and comparing. I don't talk about this much because of the respect of the other 2 models which I love and could be completely happy with.

Judging sound and trying to explain it in comparisons it really tough, but almost everyone knows immediately when they hear great sound. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ski Bum said:

Also curious as to extension...original forte, forte II spec 32 (I get that sort of extension in room here, easily), but Roy said the III's only go to 38 hz.  Typo?

I don't know, good question for Roy. Was the original really 32hz measured evenly , or actually down a few Db's at 32 ? I honestly have no idea of either number.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

You would have to sell seven pairs of heresys in order to acquire the funds for one pair of the new ones…

If I had the $ I would sell off my original pair and both pair of 2's to replace them with the new 3's, but that couldn't happen with my kind of $.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
On 1/24/2017 at 11:15 AM, Ski Bum said:

Very interesting.

I've always appreciated my forte II for their excellent bass response, a remarkable juggling act of extension, sensitivity, cab size, and tight, well defined bass.  Is it possible that the relative weakness in bass in your old fortes is due to your comparably huge room, and that you have your fortes perched up on big bass bins, off the floor and away from walls?

Better start saving those ducats for the III and some Fifteens.

38 is it.  we measure a little better these days.....

• Like 1