Forte III

oldred

15 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

38 is it.  we measure a little better these days.....

So the insinuation here is that the forte II didn't actually have a frequency response down to 32hz? Do you have data to support that or is this just speculation?

The new woofers in the forte III use the accordion style surround and presumably thinner cone usually designed for mid and upper bass frequencies where as the forte II woofer used more of a "sub" style rubber surround with a thick papered cone which typically do better in the lower frequencies. Is there a model number out yet for the new woofer?

Thanks for the feedback, Roy.  Always a pleasure to interact with the Chief.

I still have gobs of questions.  I suppose I want to know all the secret forte sauce.  I may have to visit in April and ply Roy with bourbon to get the answers.  But if measurements are done better these days, I'm curious about those in the spec sheets for the earlier fortes (here and here).  Both of those show extension below 38 hz.  Presumably those measurements were taken in Klipsch's anechoic chamber, but for that extension, there must be more going on.  Were they measured utilizing the false corners that were used for KHorn testing by chance?  

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Ski Bum said:

I still have gobs of questions.  I suppose I want to know all the secret forte sauce.  I may have to visit in April and ply Roy with bourbon to get the answers.  But if measurements are done better these days, I'm curious about those in the spec sheets for the earlier fortes (here and here).  Both of those show extension below 38 hz.  Presumably those measurements were taken in Klipsch's anechoic chamber, but for that extension, there must be more going on.  Were they measured utilizing the false corners that were used for KHorn testing by chance?  

@Chief bonehead  I know he's out of town right now but will respond when time permits. That being said @Ski Bum are you planning to attend the Pilgrimage?  If so, are you on the Tentative Attendee List?

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

So the insinuation here is that the forte II didn't actually have a frequency response down to 32hz? Do you have data to support that or is this just speculation?

The new woofers in the forte III use the accordion style surround and presumably thinner cone usually designed for mid and upper bass frequencies where as the forte II woofer used more of a "sub" style rubber surround with a thick papered cone which typically do better in the lower frequencies. Is there a model number out yet for the new woofer?

All documentation that I have from my pair purchased in 1992 shows a bottom response of 32HZ.  As well as documentation on the Klipsch website.  I believe that the new forte III will probably become the most popular, best selling speaker in the current Heritage/Extended Heritage lineup.  However at $3,600 a pair, I will stick with my modified II's.  Upgraded mid and tweeter diaphragms to titanium and put in a Crites made band pass rollover between squawker and tweeter.  So, INMHO pretty darn close to a Forte III, along with a better low end.

• Like 4

• Klipsch Employees
On 2/3/2017 at 10:11 AM, jjptkd said:

naw.  just making it up....

• Like 2

On 2/3/2017 at 1:30 PM, John Chi-town said:

All documentation that I have from my pair purchased in 1992 shows a bottom response of 32HZ.  As well as documentation on the Klipsch website.  I believe that the new forte III will probably become the most popular, best selling speaker in the current Heritage/Extended Heritage lineup.  However at $3,600 a pair, I will stick with my modified II's.  Upgraded mid and tweeter diaphragms to titanium and put in a Crites made band pass rollover between squawker and tweeter.  So, INMHO pretty darn close to a Forte III, along with a better low end.

You say that now.....I thought the same thing at first....I can just rotate from any one of the 4 sets of Forte's I have ...but you will just have to go for it....Just start saving now

Maybe give a pair to your wife for her birthday....Yea that's it...It ...could ...work

George,

• Like 3

• Klipsch Employees
On 2/3/2017 at 1:30 PM, John Chi-town said:

good for you!!

• Klipsch Employees
On 2/3/2017 at 11:05 AM, Ski Bum said:

i do ipa beers.....

• Like 1